anyone solved the heat problem?

ynight

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm just wondering of anyone experiencing the heat problem before has made it go away now. I love this phone for everything other than heat, it can get hot for just normal use and it would be so hot that you feel burning when touching the top if I'm really push it. Att can take it back and do my upgrade again with a new one, but that feels really troublesome. Since I've seen very few new complains about the heat now, I'm just wondering if there's a solution that does the trick I'm not aware of?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Mine was a little on the warm side. Then I started making sure I wasn't unnecessarily leaving apps running in the background, and it immediately got better. I have my brightness set to auto, unless I'm showing the phone off to someone, at which point I crank it up to high.

In case you don't know about closing the apps: Hold the Back button, and you can see all that is (sort of) running in the background. Open each one and just keep hitting back until you reach the home screen. It's a little bit of a pain if you have 5 apps open, but it's not too bad if you've only got one open.

Besides, even a warm Lumia 920 beats the flaming Droid Incredible I had, where I would take the cover and case off to cool it off every few days.

ynight

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm a long time wp user so your suggestions are well noticed by me already. I have only a weather app tuning on background, no any other apps hanging as of now. But it can really get super hot relatively easy. I'm making a phone call through speaker phone now while I'm typing this and my phone goes from warm to super hot now that I have trouble touch it. I'm holding it on the very bottom so it wouldn't burn me...
Don't get me wrong tho, I really like this phone and have no intention whatsoever as of heading to sunsamng or whatever, but the heat is really killing me and I'm concerned about a replacement for all the trouble and time I can't use it and the possibility of not solving the problem since as far as we notice here, it's not a problem for just the few, maybe 1/4 ppl have the issue, varies in degree tho

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like you might want to return that. I've NEVER had a phone get too hot to hold, and that sounds like it could be bad enough to break the battery open or something terrible. Mine gets warm, but that's it. It never gets legitimately HOT, just warmer than idle temperatures to a noticeable degree (pun DEFINITELY intended).

Odog4ever

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm still experiencing the heat issue when calling and Skyping. Phone goes beyond warm territory into hot. I'm actually scared to try Skype again because of the heat/battery drain that happened on my first attempt.

At this point I'm assuming that the Lumias 920s experiencing heat issues are a smaller set of lemons that need to be exchanged for "normal" units. I was assuming battery was to blame but my battery life has nearly doubled over the past 4 days (from less than 6 hrs to 12+ hrs). Not a phone engineer, but guessing its the CPU? Anyway, liking mostly everything else about the phone it just sucks I got a cyan 920 so I can't just walk into any AT&T store to get it exchanged.

gbx5

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm still experiencing the heat issue when calling and Skyping. Phone goes beyond warm territory into hot. I'm actually scared to try Skype again because of the heat/battery drain that happened on my first attempt.

At this point I'm assuming that the Lumias 920s experiencing heat issues are a smaller set of lemons that need to be exchanged for "normal" units. I was assuming battery was to blame but my battery life has nearly doubled over the past 4 days (from less than 6 hrs to 12+ hrs). Not a phone engineer, but guessing its the CPU? Anyway, liking mostly everything else about the phone it just sucks I got a cyan 920 so I can't just walk into any AT&T store to get it exchanged.

While I am not doubting that a heat issue might exist, I definitely notice my phone gets slightly warm under any form of LTE usage. Coming from the last 5-6 years of iOS where I have never felt any warmth from a phone this was a big shock to me but one I got accustomed to.

So you are positive that is in the "unacceptably hot" territory and not a moderate warmth that I am feeling?

ynight

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

Man I'm on the exact same shoes, even the cyan....my battery life is ok to somewhat good, it last a full day of my relative heavy use and that would be a non issue once I get the charging plate. But the heat, I'm assuming it has something to do with signal because it can get hotter when I'm making calls than I'm playing 3D games, though game playing gets it to hot, but phone calls just can push it further. I guess I'll have to move back to sumsang o7 for a little while..the CS said they need to wait until some outsourcing company received my return and get back to them before they can hook me up with a new one.

ynight

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
While I am not doubting that a heat issue might exist, I definitely notice my phone gets slightly warm under any form of LTE usage. Coming from the last 5-6 years of iOS where I have never felt any warmth from a phone this was a big shock to me but one I got accustomed to.

So you are positive that is in the "unacceptably hot" territory and not a moderate warmth that I am feeling?

Trust me it's not. Yours sounds like a good one while ours have some serious flaws. Phones can get warm by using it, just like computers. I also have iPhones and I'm pretty sure they can get warm too, just not the extreme heat I'm feeling here(except maybe 3gs which comes out with similar over heating problem, maybe less)

Odog4ever

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Man I'm on the exact same shoes, even the cyan....my battery life is ok to somewhat good, it last a full day of my relative heavy use and that would be a non issue once I get the charging plate. But the heat, I'm assuming it has something to do with signal because it can get hotter when I'm making calls than I'm playing 3D games, though game playing gets it to hot, but phone calls just can push it further. I guess I'll have to move back to sumsang o7 for a little while..the CS said they need to wait until some outsourcing company received my return and get back to them before they can hook me up with a new one.

Oh man, you just gave me the worst news ever! :( LOL I too have the cyan 920. Guess it will be back to the Focus for me then...

LazyLemming

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Strangely enough, my phone just STOPPED getting hot. It got extraordinarily hot on Saturday, I could recreate the problems with Video or similar apps.

Since then, I haven't been able to recreate ANY heat issues with it at all. Videos (HSPA+ or Wifi), calling, transferring files, none of it warms my phone anymore.

Ali Babba

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Seems more like buggy SW causing the CPU to freak out and run hard when it doesn't need to. I started up the nokia maps app the other day and it drained my battery super fast and caused my phone to get a lot hotter. I bounced it and it went back to normal after that.

Odog4ever

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Strangely enough, my phone just STOPPED getting hot. It got extraordinarily hot on Saturday, I could recreate the problems with Video or similar apps.

Since then, I haven't been able to recreate ANY heat issues with it at all. Videos (HSPA+ or Wifi), calling, transferring files, none of it warms my phone anymore.

Same happened to me. I turned off a bunch of stuff and have slowly been adding stuff back in like Location, a few background tasks like Weather, WPCentral, etc. Excessive heat has not returned so far, just the normal warming that occurs when the phone is actively being used. Things I haven't turned back on yet are: NFC, screen touch sensitivity (its on Normal instead of High), push email (set it to 30 min)

I really need to re-test Skype video calls because that first test call made the phone hotter than just the regular "to-hot-to-be-normal" phone calls. I'm glad it was sitting on a desk it was so hot.

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Mine gets pretty warm to almost uncomfortable when talking on the phone for more than 10 minutes or so or playing and kind of games. Everything else works great and I am getting great battery life so I just dont know if I want to take the risk of exchanging it and then having all sorts of other issues.

bamelin

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Mine gets pretty warm to almost uncomfortable when talking on the phone for more than 10 minutes or so or playing and kind of games. Everything else works great and I am getting great battery life so I just dont know if I want to take the risk of exchanging it and then having all sorts of other issues.

Same boat I am in. Mine never gets "hot" but gets noticeably warm above the camera when on a call for 10 min or more. Is that normal?

jeet13

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
hi there,
sorry i am not able to solve the problem, but facing the same issue here.
my cell gets heated within 5 minutes, and also the same it is untouchable because it gives burning feeling.
with this i have lot more issue , so i am not interested in solving the issue i want to return this fone to nokia.
DO U HAVE ANY IDEA , IF NOKIA CAN TAKE THIS FONE BAKE ON MY LOSS,

Thanking you
Ranjeet

LazySunday

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Take it to Nokia Care and let them check it or ask them to replace if you find your phone is defective. Mine too gets heated up but only while playing games for more than 15-20 minutes...

jeet13

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
hi there,
sorry i am not able to solve the problem, but facing the same issue here.
my cell gets heated within 5 minutes, and also the same it is untouchable because it gives burning feeling.
with this i have lot more issue , so i am not interested in solving the issue i want to return this fone to nokia.
DO U HAVE ANY IDEA , IF NOKIA CAN TAKE THIS FONE BACK ON MY LOSS,

Thanking you
Ranjeet

jeet13

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
thanks for suggestion , but as i am able to see there r number of customer who are facing the same issue,
other than heating issue i have hanging , volume, whatsapp,battery ...all the issue.
now i am thinking if nokia can take this fone back ,, i am ready to bare any loss .
but dont want to carry this fone anymore

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99