Lumia 920 Weight Issues

HK6

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I know this has been beaten like a dead horse ever since reviewers pointed out that the Lumia 920 felt like a 'tank', but I couldn't help but chime in after finally getting my hands on a 920. Any single reviewer that says the 920 is too heavy is about as strong as a blade of grass. That isn't a joke.

The 920 has distributed the weight so much more evenly across the entire device, and the rounded back makes it just that much easier to hold. After using a 900 since it came out in Canada, I can reassure everybody that it feels lighter than the 900 in every respect.

With regards to comparing the weight to other phones, besides the 900, it is definitely heavier. However, this is not a bad thing in the slightest. It isn't made of plastic like the S3, and it isn't going to shatter when it falls on your carpet like a 4S. It feels like you could throw it at the wall, pick it up, and carry on using it as you normally would without even getting a scratch on the screen.

So basically, the point of this thread is to say that if you think the 920 is too heavy, you could not be more wrong.

ibbyj

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
My buddy who also reads tech blogs picked mine up and said, "THIS is what they were complaining about?!"

haha

No, it's not that heavy.

LazyLemming

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, most reviews I read mention the weight but don't actually call it a problem (other than the stupid gizmodo review). I think the bigger issue isn't so much holding the phone, but the weight of it bouncing around in the pocket.

I definitely notice mine more in the pocket, but it's such a minor thing that I don't really care.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
After having the phone a while, i will saying holding the phone to your head for a long phone call is a bit of a pain in the parts.

Other than that, even my 2 year old has no problems with my phone.

Why0Why

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I had a Note before this which is the same weight. I think the 920 feels great. It feels lighter than the Note. I just really don't understand the weight complaints. My 9 year old son doesn't even think it is heavy. How can it seriously be a complaint. I had it in my jeans pocket last night and it is barely noticeable.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
From moving from a Samsung Focus to a Lumia 920 there is a significant weight difference. I could immediately tell. However, it isn't like carrying a boulder in my pocket. It isn't too large that I can't walk comfortably around with it in my pockets.

In fact, I enjoy the weight in my pocket a bit since I KNOW its there, no crazy slapping my legs to check to see if my phone is on my person or not...

Is it heavier than other phones, yes. Is it a detriment? Not in my mind.

LongLeggs

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I never understood why tech people complain about weight of devices. Like a few ounces is going to kill you? A pound is going to kill someone? I think a lot of people just try to find flaws in everything.

Jessica

LazyLemming

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
From moving from a Samsung Focus to a Lumia 920 there is a significant weight difference. I could immediately tell. However, it isn't like carrying a boulder in my pocket. It isn't too large that I can't walk comfortably around with it in my pockets.

In fact, I enjoy the weight in my pocket a bit since I KNOW its there, no crazy slapping my legs to check to see if my phone is on my person or not...

Is it heavier than other phones, yes. Is it a detriment? Not in my mind.
Haha, yeah very true about the slapping the pockets thing.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
920 weight a non issue

Before I picked up my 920, I put quarters in my case with my Samsung Focus to simulate the weight to see how it would feel in my pocket. I was a little concerned about it, but as most users are reporting, it is really a non issue. I carry it in my shirt picket with my glasses, and I do not notice it at all. Sure it feels a little heavier when I hold it, but it feels so solid that I really feel like I am holding a well made piece of art. The phone is so great that I can live with the added weight. Size is not an issue at all for me. I normally used 2 hands most of the time with my old phone, and my hands are big enough I can use it with one hand on this phone if I wanted to for most operations. The bottom line is that you need to ignore the reviews and play with one yourself to see if it is a right fit for you. If it is not, there are other options, though you will loose some of the advanced features, superior display, and Nokia exclusive apps.

bassrebel

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
it's all about your mindset...

there is no denial the phone is heavier than most of the competition... the important thing is to look for a positive side to it... like the fact that you can feel it in your pocket, like the fact that it feels sturdy and solid, etc...

I do too come from the Samsung Focus and my only gripe is to make my fingers get used to the bigger screen, other than that the weight does not bother me at all, I've had long conversations with no problem.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Shifting the phone a bit in my hand at times, I am able to operate the phone single handily pretty well.

It really is well built.

Gary Hopkinson

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Can't agree with you on this..... I recently upgraded to a 920, and have to say that I think it is an amazing phone, in so many ways. There is one major flaw - the size and weight, it is simply unacceptable. I have large hands , but found it very uncomfortable to use - in main due to the squared corner/weight combination. This issue will be a deal breaker for so many people. I'm sorry Nokia, you've blown your chance by making such a fundamental error. I have returned my handset and will be exchanging for a different brand

Gary Hopkinson

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Before I picked up my 920, I put quarters in my case with my Samsung Focus to simulate the weight to see how it would feel in my pocket. I was a little concerned about it, but as most users are reporting, it is really a non issue. I carry it in my shirt picket with my glasses, and I do not notice it at all. Sure it feels a little heavier when I hold it, but it feels so solid that I really feel like I am holding a well made piece of art. The phone is so great that I can live with the added weight. Size is not an issue at all for me. I normally used 2 hands most of the time with my old phone, and my hands are big enough I can use it with one hand on this phone if I wanted to for most operations. The bottom line is that you need to ignore the reviews and play with one yourself to see if it is a right fit for you. If it is not, there are other options, though you will loose some of the advanced features, superior display, and Nokia exclusive apps.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Can't agree with you on this..... I recently upgraded to a 920, and have to say that I think it is an amazing phone, in so many ways. There is one major flaw - the size and weight, it is simply unacceptable. I have large hands , but found it very uncomfortable to use - in main due to the squared corner/weight combination. This issue will be a deal breaker for so many people. I'm sorry Nokia, you've blown your chance by making such a fundamental error. I have returned my handset and will be exchanging for a different brand

From what I have been reading, the size and weight are very acceptable, since it is rarely mentioned by users. For me, the phone felt lighter than my EVO 4G, which is the lighter phone of the two, and the ergonomics were great, though I rarely handle my phones from the ends, where the squared corners are.

05Paris

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well, most reviews I read mention the weight but don't actually call it a problem (other than the stupid gizmodo review). I think the bigger issue isn't so much holding the phone, but the weight of it bouncing around in the pocket.

I definitely notice mine more in the pocket, but it's such a minor thing that I don't really care.

Begs the thought, "Are you happy to c me or is it just ur L920?"

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
It would be fine if it wasn't so thick and wide. Yes, it is just as wide as the GS3 but the 8.6mm nullifies that wideness but the 10.7 mm adds to it. Sorry, but the Lumia 920 is HUGE and it really shouldn't be since the screen is only 4.5 inches.

The Optimus G design should be what everyone strives for. 4.7 inch screen with these dimensions 131.9 x 68.9 x 8.45mm. 141g.

Just try and put your bias away and think about it. If a garbage company like LG can do that, then there is no excuse for Nokia not to do it. The Lumia 920 is only about 1.9 mm shorter but it has a smaller screen, is almost 1mm wider, 44g heavier, and over 2 mm thicker. The sad thing is that LG smoked Nokia in dimensions despite having a glass back and a bigger battery.

Sorry folks, the Lumia 920 size and weight is just pathetic for a 4.5inch phone. The Lumia 920 with a 4.5 inch screen should be like 130 x 67 x 8.9 mm and 160g, tops. It should be even smaller than that to be honest.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte