How to get native maps (not Nokia maps) back on home screen

hellboarder

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I thought it might help a few people due to the native maps app having way better traffic info, for now at least and just because we can :)

You can do this with every location but just for the fun, you go into the normal WP8 maps application (not Nokia maps) via your address book by clicking on any address within it. That will open The normal (better) maps app. Then you go to your favo(u)rite place and hold your finger on the screen to highlight the address. Then pin the place and that will put a tile on your Start Screen where you can start the native maps app. Voila.

Hope that helps.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Good tip.

The Nokia maps and the maps you get when clicking an address are the same. It's the same mapping engine and maps. There is no separate Bing/native/normal maps anymore.

hellboarder

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Good tip.

The Nokia maps and the maps you get when clicking an address are the same. It's the same mapping engine and maps. There is no separate Bing/native/normal maps anymore.
well, not quite, turn on traffic and compare Nokia maps and the maps app that you get when opening via address, there is a huge difference as the native app seems to show way more info on smaller roads also. Nokia maps only seems to display freeway and major road traffic.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
well, not quite, turn on traffic and compare Nokia maps and the maps app that you get when opening via address, there is a huge difference as the native app seems to show way more info on smaller roads also. Nokia maps only seems to display freeway and major road traffic.

There is no "native" vs. Nokia maps. MS did away with Bing maps in WP8. There is only 1 mapping engine on the phone: Nokia.

cancerkilla23

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
So after checking, I'm inclined to agree with the OP. I pulled up Nokia maps of NYC, then went back to the home screen and did as was suggested and clicked on an NYC address in my people hub. A different maps application loaded (labeled simply "maps", and you could actually switch between them. Mind you, the interfaces look exactly the same, but the OP is absolutely correct in saying there is definitely more traffic info when you click on an address. Very strange...glitch in the Nokia Maps app? After all, they are providing all the mapping info for WP8?

cancerkilla23

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
This is what I mean. Definitely same map engine. Why is there more traffic info in the "maps" app? Definitely a glitch that should be pointed out to @NokiaCareUS

Nicholaas

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
on my phone there is a difference between the the satellite view on "Nokia maps" and the "Maps" app. The Map app appears up to date but on the "Nokia Maps" it is several years old e.g. I live near the London Olympic stadium - on Nokia Maps the satellite view shows it still under construction on the Maps as it is now!

Also the interfaces to the two maps are different!

Does anyone know how to update the Nokia Maps map to correspond to the one used by Maps?

Nick

Malcolm Clement

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Maps and Bing Maps are separate and there is a HUGE gap in quality between the two. I have been trying to put pressure on Nokia by contacting customer support, leaving feedback in the Nokia Maps app, and in their Discussions forum. My issue is the CRAZY lack of basic POIs when comparing Nokia Maps to Bing Maps.

I SUGGEST EVERYONE to put pressure on Nokia to merge map data with Bing maps so that we actually have decent mapping data in the US. Contact Nokia directly to put pressure on them!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12