Build quality question: Corner of screen near SIM card slot

jd195

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
So, I remember seeing a couple of people mention this over the weekend, but nothing recently. Last night, the top left corner of my phone started to have a little bit of give when pressed. This was enough to produce a creaking sound when I picked up the phone when holding it from the top and bottom of the phone. I took it to one AT&T store to ask about it and the rep said it wasn't supposed to be like that and that I should replace it...except they were out of stock. Went to another store that had them, but they wouldn't exchange it, claiming that it wasn't unusual for the polycarb body to have some play to it, especially with the sim slot there, and that even if they did exchange it, the new phone would come from the same batch and most likely have the same issue.

Any thoughts on whether or not I should pursue this? Is this normal with this design (don't remember if people were having this issue with the L800)? If I knew it wasn't going to get worse, I wouldn't mind it at all, but I'm concerned that it will spread across the entire top of the screen. I figure worst case scenario, I can return to the store that was actually helpful and ask them to order one and do the exchange that way.

Thanks for any insight. This is the only issue I seem to be having. Battery life has been great, no overheating...just worried about the seal between the screen and the body of it now.

wp8nyc

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Mine has the same issue in the same corner. Its ok for now but if it gets worse I'll call attt and get it replaced under warranty. (14 days will be up so no in store exchange)

gbx5

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
This is why I am replacing mine, on my second week it seemed to have gotten worse and it was so bad that holding the phone and operating on the sides produced constant high pitched creaks from just light pressure of me holding the phone.

I hated holding my phone in my hands at that point, and demanded a replacement.

PCC1

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Mine also creaks... but on the bottom right side between the power and camera shutter buttons and also creaks when pressed on the back near the area. Don't know whether to send it back to seller in Germany or try and get it repaired... especially since the phone has not launched in my country yet, but shipping it to Germany and them not having any more units to replace it with right now is not making that option appealing either.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
My L900 had this problem on the two phones I had, I ended up sending back the second and and got a Titan 2. If only the 8x had more memory :(

igoramadas

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Mine does pop as well, but just if I press it hard. Not a problem for me. My Lumia 800 has the same issue but started happening just after a few months.

I have the feeling some people stay hours and hours trying to find issues with the phone. Guys, you get what you want: if you keep looking, you WILL find defects. Pressing the top left corner of the phone is considered normal usage? A tiny almost inaudible "pop" sound will make your experience worse? Maybe it's really bad for some but I'm sure others are exaggerating here.

I would even say that this tiny bit of looseness helps the phone surviving all the drop / hammer / torture tests. Screen is much less likely to break if it's not 100% solidly attached to the rest of the case.

wp8nyc

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
So, I remember seeing a couple of people mention this over the weekend, but nothing recently. Last night, the top left corner of my phone started to have a little bit of give when pressed. This was enough to produce a creaking sound when I picked up the phone when holding it from the top and bottom of the phone. I took it to one AT&T store to ask about it and the rep said it wasn't supposed to be like that and that I should replace it...except they were out of stock. Went to another store that had them, but they wouldn't exchange it, claiming that it wasn't unusual for the polycarb body to have some play to it, especially with the sim slot there, and that even if they did exchange it, the new phone would come from the same batch and most likely have the same issue.

Any thoughts on whether or not I should pursue this? Is this normal with this design (don't remember if people were having this issue with the L800)? If I knew it wasn't going to get worse, I wouldn't mind it at all, but I'm concerned that it will spread across the entire top of the screen. I figure worst case scenario, I can return to the store that was actually helpful and ask them to order one and do the exchange that way.

Thanks for any insight. This is the only issue I seem to be having. Battery life has been great, no overheating...just worried about the seal between the screen and the body of it now.

Are you planning to exchange it for a new one? Im thinking about it but not sure - I dont want it to get worse. Anyone else with this issue?

jd195

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Are you planning to exchange it for a new one? Im thinking about it but not sure - I dont want it to get worse. Anyone else with this issue?

I'm going to end up giving it a week and seeing if it gets worse or not, since I have at least the two week timeframe to start an exchange (though I recall being told it's 30 days on something like this).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786