Non-Nokia Charging Plates

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Starting this thread to see what sort of luck people have had with those other charging plates; the ones not made by Nokia. As sexy as they are, I'd like to do all I can to avoid paying $50 a plate, especially when some of the others are range $8-10 various places online. I know the palm one supposedly works, but then again I have heard people say it doesn't charge very well. There is also the issue of the palm charger being slanted and the phone sliding off easily. If the plate is going to take 100 hours to charge the phone, the savings isn't worth it for me. Right now I am looking at the single device powermat. Someone out there has to have had the powermat kit, or something similar. How well has it worked for you.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Powermat is a different standard.

Since the Nexus 4, Galaxy S3, and new Nokia's all support QI wireless charging, all the compatible chargers have gone up in price due to demand.

Its a real shame, because when the 920's QI charging was first announced, i found several <?10 chargers on ebay, i only brought one, it works perfectly (by Maxell), but now they cost 3-4x as much.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Darn. I was just reading an article explaining they were different standards. That's a shame. Guess I get to fork over the $50/per. May as well jus get the Nokia ones if I am only going to save a couple bucks buying a different brand.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I'd wait till the rush is over, they'll be much cheaper on amazon within the month.

I was shocked reading the official Galaxy S3 wireless dock was something like $89. I was hoping Google or Samsung would be releasing cheaper chargers than Nokia.

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I have a Qi charging plate from Zens (bought from Amazon Germany) at work and the original Fatboy charging pillow at home.

The Zens plate was cheaper and is charging my Lumia even faster than the original one!

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a Qi charging plate from Zens (bought from Amazon Germany) at work and the original Fatboy charging pillow at home.

The Zens plate was cheaper and is charging my Lumia even faster than the original one!

where did you get the fatbky? Haven't seen those on sale anywhere. :(

litchblade#IM

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
You can get the black fatboy on Amazon Germany.

I'll wait some longer too, especially because the 920 battery runs out of powr with NFC turned on pretty fast. I first wanna see if they can fix it with an update...

mrshamoozoo

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
i bought the powermat 2x and the lumia doesnt work on it. it activates like it will charge but then does nothing. so weak. only paid $20 though

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
WPCentral Store

The Windows Phone Central Store is getting the Zen Wireless charging pad in ASAP (both in single and dual): Products

They may even be listed today and I have both coming to do a quick hands-on/review with the 920, so stay tuned. IMO, those Zen's look elegant and looking to see how well they do.

We also have some cases coming in as well...

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
The Windows Phone Central Store is getting the Zen Wireless charging pad in ASAP (both in single and dual): Products

They may even be listed today and I have both coming to do a quick hands-on/review with the 920, so stay tuned. IMO, those Zen's look elegant and looking to see how well they do.

Any pricing info?

tapiocamilktea

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
using the Energizer Qi plate and it works great, bought for $19 shipped too.
I have the energizer qi charger too (single), the charge is good and I can put my phone anywhere on the plate and the phone will charge. The only complaint I have is the charger makes a faint ticking noise when its not charging. I could have a defective unit, I'm going to see if I can do an exchange from amazon.

Workshop2

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

I would also be interested in some pricing info if possible :)

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I decided to pick up the Oregon Scientific QW201 Clock/Wireless Charger.

2pq6is1.jpg

I'm still waiting for it to pick up the atomic clock signal, but it is very simple as a clock. Only one alarm, with the controls for that very stupidly on the bottom of the thing.

It comes with an outdoor temperature sensor, which is pretty useful, and also measures indoor temperature.

Anyway, for the important parts...

2m4uopl.jpg

It seems to be working great as a charger, and there's even a blue light under the clock that comes on when the device is charging. The only caveat is that the bottom of the phone needs to be to the left or towards you when placing the phone on the pad.

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I decided to pick up the Oregon Scientific QW201 Clock/Wireless Charger.

Click to view quoted image

I'm still waiting for it to pick up the atomic clock signal, but it is very simple as a clock. Only one alarm, with the controls for that very stupidly on the bottom of the thing.

It comes with an outdoor temperature sensor, which is pretty useful, and also measures indoor temperature.

Anyway, for the important parts...

Click to view quoted image

It seems to be working great as a charger, and there's even a blue light under the clock that comes on when the device is charging. The only caveat is that the bottom of the phone needs to be to the left or towards you when placing the phone on the pad.

Where did you pick it up?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99