First impressions of my Black 8X

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
My phone just arrived earlier today.

It's just been a full day only, but I would like to tell you some of the things that I liked the most so far and some of the things that I found to be not so great.

Great/Awesome:
- Form factor. It can't be said enough, if you like taller and narrower designs, you will love the 8X. The weight is very good and well balanced. It doesn't feel too light as if it's going to break or something.
- Build quality. The materials are great, the soft touch back is awesome but prone to dust and moisture from your hands. Everything seems and feels well built. I recommend a case. The one from HTC I bought is the best case I've ever seen or used. It has a mixture of hard plastic and rubber that makes it a joy to hold it.
- Screen size. The size is what I long tought to be the "sweet spot" for mobile phones. It's only my opinion and many have different tastes but for me, the size is just about right.
- Screen display. The quality of the display is really good. It's very bright and can be read easily on outdoors. The resolution, coming from an 800x600 Optimus 7 is a huge upgrade.

Cons:
- The flush buttons. They are really, I mean really flushed into the body and sometimes you press them without feeling any sort of feedback from them. The power button is hard to reach if you use it one handed a lot. I wish it had been placed on the side. The camera button suffers from the lack of feedback. Using a case by HTC, I don't feel the twostep shutter when taking pictures. After a few snaps I didn't feel the two steps most of the time.
- Auto brightness. I don't know if it's WP8 or the firmware but it seems to take some time to adjust. With medium brightness it looks great, so I set it to that after a few hours. I think a firmware or OS update should make it more sensitive.

This is what I've found the first day with it. I really don't have anything negative to say other that the buttons and auto brightness. On the coming days I may find any other details I don't like, but so far I'm loving this phone.

I Hope this helps some of the undecided guys looking to jump to WP8 right away.

hipporama

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. I have been waiting for people who have bought the phone to post up their impressions/reviews. I'm getting mine in a weeks time and I can't wait! I'll definitely put up my views once I get my hands on the phone.

What do you think of the camera? I'm not a big photo guy but take the occasional pics.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
So how bulky is that case? I am used to super thin cases like the Casemate barely there or SGP ultra thin hard shell. Fattest I will go, especially considering the 8x is 10.1 mm, is like a thin TPU case.

Is that official case thicker than a TPU case? Thanks.

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. I have been waiting for people who have bought the phone to post up their impressions/reviews. I'm getting mine in a weeks time and I can't wait! I'll definitely put up my views once I get my hands on the phone.

What do you think of the camera? I'm not a big photo guy but take the occasional pics.

I took a couple of photos with the rear camera but didn't focus on it. Tomorrow I plan to take some test photos. I will post them on the sticky thread on this forum.

So how bulky is that case? I am used to super thin cases like the Casemate barely there or SGP ultra thin hard shell. Fattest I will go, especially considering the 8x is 10.1 mm, is like a thin TPU case.

Is that official case thicker than a TPU case? Thanks.

It's not bulky at all. In fact, it is one of the fittest I've seen/used. It's very thin as well.

This official case in particular is a little thinner than a couple of TPU cases I had some time ago.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 8X for a week now and still love it. I'm used to the power button now, but agree that it could be a little easier to use. On the whole though, I like the way that the flush buttons compliment the clean lines of the phone.

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, i have more problems with the volume buttons than the power button, actually, but they are all very flush. It does look good though :p

As for auto brightness; mine adjusts VERY quickly, fyi.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
My phone just arrived earlier today.

It's just been a full day only, but I would like to tell you some of the things that I liked the most so far and some of the things that I found to be not so great.

Great/Awesome:
- Form factor. It can't be said enough, if you like taller and narrower designs, you will love the 8X. The weight is very good and well balanced. It doesn't feel too light as if it's going to break or something.
- Build quality. The materials are great, the soft touch back is awesome but prone to dust and moisture from your hands. Everything seems and feels well built. I recommend a case. The one from HTC I bought is the best case I've ever seen or used. It has a mixture of hard plastic and rubber that makes it a joy to hold it.
- Screen size. The size is what I long tought to be the "sweet spot" for mobile phones. It's only my opinion and many have different tastes but for me, the size is just about right.
- Screen display. The quality of the display is really good. It's very bright and can be read easily on outdoors. The resolution, coming from an 800x600 Optimus 7 is a huge upgrade.

Cons:
- The flush buttons. They are really, I mean really flushed into the body and sometimes you press them without feeling any sort of feedback from them. The power button is hard to reach if you use it one handed a lot. I wish it had been placed on the side. The camera button suffers from the lack of feedback. Using a case by HTC, I don't feel the twostep shutter when taking pictures. After a few snaps I didn't feel the two steps most of the time.
- Auto brightness. I don't know if it's WP8 or the firmware but it seems to take some time to adjust. With medium brightness it looks great, so I set it to that after a few hours. I think a firmware or OS update should make it more sensitive.

This is what I've found the first day with it. I really don't have anything negative to say other that the buttons and auto brightness. On the coming days I may find any other details I don't like, but so far I'm loving this phone.

I Hope this helps some of the undecided guys looking to jump to WP8 right away.
Thanks for the great post on your 8 x I am hoping to get one very soon.

ajorourke

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
You definitely get used to the buttons.

I hated the power button at the start, now I've kind of forgotten why!

Camera button isn't the best, I have often taken blurry pictures because the focusing hasn't worked. I have now pretty much moved onto just tapping the screen to snap a picture which works wonderfully!

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I never used the dedicated camera button cause it always made me move ever so slightly and cause blurry pics. I set it up to tap the screen for pictures which usually end up much better.

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
You definitely get used to the buttons.

I hated the power button at the start, now I've kind of forgotten why!

Camera button isn't the best, I have often taken blurry pictures because the focusing hasn't worked. I have now pretty much moved onto just tapping the screen to snap a picture which works wonderfully!

I never used the dedicated camera button cause it always made me move ever so slightly and cause blurry pics. I set it up to tap the screen for pictures which usually end up much better.

I was used to take all my pics with the camera button on the Optimus 7. I have taken just a few with the 8X and tried touching to take the photos but I will need some time to adjust to that because some came out blurry. I do have some hope that both the case and the phone's buttons loosen up a little bit so they are easier to press, though :D

Can you post pics of the case?

It fits too well that is somewhat of a hassle to take it out. I will take some snaps of the phone with the case on it and post them tomorrow on the accessories for 8X section of the forum. There are already a couple shots from a guy that got it before me. Check them out in the meantime.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
These are pics I took with the 8x this morning in overcast conditions. Mind you, I forgot to put this camera to 8MP. It was set to 6MP by default..why? I don't know. Seems that HTC lowers certain things by default on this phone. Check volume and other settings. They might be lowered by default.

Attachments

• WP_20121116_003.jpg
    WP_20121116_003.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 44
  • WP_20121116_004.jpg
    WP_20121116_004.jpg
    595.4 KB · Views: 34
  • WP_20121116_005.jpg
    WP_20121116_005.jpg
    588.2 KB · Views: 27
  • WP_20121116_006.jpg
    WP_20121116_006.jpg
    502.5 KB · Views: 27
  • WP_20121116_008.jpg
    WP_20121116_008.jpg
    528.9 KB · Views: 39

Agpe17

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Holy crap! Those pics are amazing!

Wait til you see the FRONT FACING cam...it's fantastic. I took some pictures this morning (I received the phone last night, it was dark), and it's unbelievable. The wide-angle lense for the front is great.

Got my 8x last night -- my impressions will echo those of others: I love it. The screen is crisp, bright, and vibrant. The OS is fantastic, as we hoped it'd be...and I'm just so satisfied.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Default is set to six mp as a compromise for storage space and transmission speed. Personally, I think that size is fine for every day photo sharing and displaying in forums etc.

WillBrown

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting those pics! That takes away most of my concerns of not going with the "better" camera on the 920.

I'd like to see someone post some indoor/household pics without natural light. That would clear things up for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte