Visited local VZW, found L820, Surface but no 8x

jrj2013

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Popped into my local VZW looking for a black 8x this morning and had the pleasure of playing around with their 2 display Lumia 820s. I was waiting for them so I decided to tweak the tile layout to make them look more appealing(I can't be the only one that does this...).

Regarding the 8x - manager took my name and number and said he had expected some in this AM and would give me a call when they came in. Their system said there are only 2 stores in my region(Midwest) with 8x's in inventory (Bismark and somewhere in MN).

Regarding the demo Microsoft Surface on display - the manager said he had set it up this AM and that VZW will be selling them soon. I was surprised because 1. I've never actually seen one and 2. I thought they were just in Microsoft stores at the moment. The demo version was booting up and I wasn't able to actually use it but, when a 8x comes in, I plan to spend a bit of time with it and decide whether to get one or wait for a pro.

That's my report and I hope you guys had better luck this morning.

doomtuba

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Huh, I've heard nothing about VZW selling Surfaces? If that's true it must be an LTE version. Surely this would have made the news by now.

jrj2013

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Huh, I've heard nothing about VZW selling Surfaces? If that's true it must be an LTE version. Surely this would have made the news by now.
Yeah I thought the same thing. When I asked him about LTE version(because I remember them saying they weren't making one) he told me he believed it will just be WiFi. If he is correct, it sounds like they're just an added distributor for the Surface. This does make it much more likely I'll pick one up as I'm no where near a Microsoft retail store so I was quite pleased to see the demo model. Even if it wasn't quite booted up this morning.

1414H77

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Same in Charlotte, NC. This is the worst launch ever seen. Verizon does not even have it on launch day. AT&T has been saying for a week it was coming in to their store that day in shipments and every day they expect it and every day it does not come for their inventory. I am so frustrated and I am about to go get an iPhone 5.

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Same in Charlotte, NC. This is the worst launch ever seen. Verizon does not even have it on launch day. AT&T has been saying for a week it was coming in to their store that day in shipments and every day they expect it and every day it does not come for their inventory. I am so frustrated and I am about to go get an iPhone 5.

Punish Verizon, not yourself ;) haha

Xplode22

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Same experience here in Greensboro, NC. They had black and white 822s but no 8x. The sales guy said, "It's the Nokia launch day." Eye-roll and left.

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My verizon store had the 8x and it was beautiful. I was originally going to get the grey 822 but the weight, matte blue color, awesome screen of the 8x just screamed quality and now I can't decide between the two. I'm not a huge fan of the design of the 822 but I'm drawn to its apps like Nokia drive, city lens and such. If someone can convince me I don't need these apps then I'll have no qualms about getting the 8x.

jrj2013

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
My verizon store had the 8x and it was beautiful. I was originally going to get the grey 822 but the weight, matte blue color, awesome screen of the 8x just screamed quality and now I can't decide between the two. I'm not a huge fan of the design of the 822 but I'm drawn to its apps like Nokia drive, city lens and such. If someone can convince me I don't need these apps then I'll have no qualms about getting the 8x.
I have the same concerns. That being said, I'll be buying off contract to keep my unlimited data so these are less of a concern. The quality of the 8x in a smaller package than the 920 is what is getting me to take the plunge...when it is avail that is

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
They only had the 822 at my store as well. It's a pretty nice phone, and it's quite snappy, but the design is lacking. I really wanted to check out the 8X...maybe tomorrow.

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Good one! But I am ticked.

As am I...This is one of the worst launches to date. I have no problem when its a "well we only had 10 units of each." Ok fine...But when its the national go live, and they simply don't have units to begin with, thats a serious problem...Maybe its a bit of a foresight to HTCs financial future

1414H77

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
As am I...This is one of the worst launches to date. I have no problem when its a "well we only had 10 units of each." Ok fine...But when its the national go live, and they simply don't have units to begin with, thats a serious problem...Maybe its a bit of a foresight to HTCs financial future

I think you may be dead on. HTC's deteriorating financial situation may be causing suppliers to be reluctant to extend them credit, making it hard to buy enough parts to make the devices fast enough.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I am also disappointing with HTC and their "failure to launch" debacle. You think they may have wanted to tighten up one thing before it shipped? Who knows, but I've been calling ATT all week multiple times a day disguising my voice so they wont get annoyed by the same guy calling them...from the same number. lol. I am also considering going back to Verizon. I was on there a year ago, but they had no good windows phones. Now I want back on since the 8x is the phone of my choice...but even they dont have it.

DeathBreath

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
What a joke of a launch. I stopped by one Verizon store this morning and called 4 others. All the same answer. "We are supposed to be getting them in today, we might have some this afternoon". I live in the San Francisco, Bay Area

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I posted this in another thread, but here goes: Went into the local Best Buy to check on my pre-order for the 8X. Still no clue, they barely knew they had the 822 till I made them look online. I purchased the 822 so I can get my WP8 fix. I kept the 8X pre-order open so I can exchange when it finally does come in.

Other than the poop screen resolution on the 822, its really nice.

jrj2013

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
F/U on my previous posts today - got a call 15 min ago from the manager I spoke to this morning and they received 2 black HTC 8x this afternoon and are holding one for me to pick up tonight. All hope is not lost. Best of luck everyone

Mark Bair

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
One of the stores here in Fort Wayne, IN had a blue and black dummy 8x and a black and white dummy 822. Only had black 8x available to sell, and the Lumia's. Holding out for a Red 8x. Also, they had the fully functional Surface displayed and a Nokia charging pad and a JBL speaker. Demo 8x worked with both the charging pad and the speaker.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos