Thoughts from a 920 owner

anon(2255)

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I tried both, and while I like the feel of the 8X better, the price, storage and features (and sadly, color) of the 920 made it the winner in my eyes. GTG, can we at least get you back to doing samsung android roms again?

cardinalryan

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
No offense to anyone who opted for the 8X...that's why we have choices, but folks, this should not even be a debate.

I started with the 8X but returned it for a Lumia 920 and, quite frankly, I'm embarrassed that I could not have made that decision the first go round.

The Lumia 920 camera is better in ALL SITUATIONS, good light and low light. I am professional photographer, so obviously I rely on different equipment for serious shooting, but I love to have a great snap shooter in my phone and the Lumia is infinitely better in this area. The color correctness from the Lumia camera absolutely blow away anything the 8X can produce.

As far as the phone goes...well, you can try to justify going without the Nokia app suite, but that's kind of silly, I think. WP8 is so short on apps as it is, I think that the Nokia app suite is borderline necessary, mostly because of Nokia Drive.

Screen...in my opinion, the Nokia screen is better, but that's subjective, so YMMV...they are both great screens.

As far as weight and what the phone looks like...again, that's subjective and you have to make your own call on this. Personally, I think the Lumia is very attractive and the weight is a non issue.

Bottom line...if you want the 8X because it is lighter and looks better to you, then that is a great reason to get it...however, if you are choosing the 8X because you think it's a better performing phone, then I believe you are sadly mistaken.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I've seen a single person say they are selecting the 8X for performance and overall hardware features. I, and everyone else I've read, exchanged the 920 for the 8X due to the size of the phone. I don't have huge hands and always put my phones in pocket and the 8X is a dream compared to the 920. Like someone else said, the 920 for me was a two hand phone most of the time and I had real difficulty getting to the back button one handed. I didn't mind the weight at all, my old IP4 with case was heavier, but the thickness of the 920 really turned me off after using the phone a few days.

I didn't need the storage, Nokia apps (I have satnav in every vehicle), and the camera in the 8X is much better than what I had before, so it really came down to size.

The one thing I miss about the 920 right now is it did have better battery life than the 8X does.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Bottom line...if you want the 8X because it is lighter and looks better to you, then that is a great reason to get it...however, if you are choosing the 8X because you think it's a better performing phone, then I believe you are sadly mistaken.

I can tell you that my 8X performs better than the 920 I had... because it does perform. Granted, I'm sure that was an issue only with that one specific unit, but even so. Specs are just specs and like any data can be twisted to suit the presenter; unless we're talking a vast world of difference, performance is in the eye of the user. :)

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate all the points of view from people who have used both extensively, much better than most review pieces.

cardinalryan

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I can tell you that my 8X performs better than the 920 I had... because it does perform. Granted, I'm sure that was an issue only with that one specific unit, but even so. Specs are just specs and like any data can be twisted to suit the presenter; unless we're talking a vast world of difference, performance is in the eye of the user. :)
I don't disagree with that.

However, like you acknowledged, I'm sure you just had a bad unit. My 920 has been perfect so far.

cardinalryan

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I am not stating that the L920 is a better choice for every user, however, I am stating that the only legitimate reason to select the 8X over the L920 is because you prefer the size.

If size is not a factor, then the L920 wins every time.

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I am not stating that the L920 is a better choice for every user, however, I am stating that the only legitimate reason to select the 8X over the L920 is because you prefer the size.

If size is not a factor, then the L920 wins every time.

Ha so it wins by taking worse daytime photos, Having worse audio quality, Having a worse ffc, Having more overall hardware & software faults.

If you prefer your 920 great but its very fanboyish to say it wins in every area because it doesn't.

Jeebs1234

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Tried both out at the Microsoft store, the 8X just felt better in my hand and just seemed to perform better too.

I'm going to miss the camera but I think it's something I can live without for a more comfortable phone.

Plus I like the Blue colour :D

cardinalryan

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Ha so it wins by taking worse daytime photos, Having worse audio quality, Having a worse ffc, Having more overall hardware & software faults.

If you prefer your 920 great but its very fanboyish to say it wins in every area because it doesn't.
You can say "******" all you want, but the truth is, I don't give two $h!/s about what brand of phone I carry. I just objectively evaluate and purchase the best one. In this case, there is no comparison between the two.

jameskk1

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I purchased the 920 on launch day from at&t. Nokia Music was a big draw for me, as was the wireless charging. They did not have the 8X in when I purchased. Today I went back to look at the 8X and I was like WOW!!! I boxed up my 920 and traded. The 8X really has a WOW factor when you see and use it in person. I wasn't a fan of the design when looking at it on the web. I do miss Nokia Music but I LOVE having Bing Maps back! I know it has Bing Maps because several local businesses are listed and they were missing in Nokia Maps. If the 920 didn't weigh so much I would probably have kept it. Both are excellent WP8 phones.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I played around with a Rogers Lumia 920 before buying my 8X... personally the 8X to me is years ahead in terms of build. (and I have large hands so has nothing to do with being to big for my hands).

Last edited by a moderator:

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
You can say "******" all you want, but the truth is, I don't give two $h!/s about what brand of phone I carry. I just objectively evaluate and purchase the best one. In this case, there is no comparison between the two.

If you didn't give "two sh*ts" you wouldn't going around like a deluded ****** saying that the Lumia 920 is better in every area because unfortunately its out done in quite a few areas.

JSern

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

Whoa ****** alert

Klevis

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The Puremotion HD+ is not a gimmick. The fact that HTC 8X has a 60Hz refresh rate is about the graphic card which can render 60 frames/s. The problem is that the display cannot act fast enough. A pixel needs some time before it can change its color. I think Lumia has decreased the response time of the pixels from 23ms to 9ms. That is why the display of the Lumia 920 has less lag than HTC 8X.

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
The Puremotion HD+ is not a gimmick. The fact that HTC 8X has a 60Hz refresh rate is about the graphic card which can render 60 frames/s. The problem is that the display cannot act fast enough. A pixel needs some time before it can change its color. I think Lumia has decreased the response time of the pixels from 23ms to 9ms. That is why the display of the Lumia 920 has less lag than HTC 8X.

Except for the fact the 8X screen doesn't lag so it might as well be a gimmick.

cardinalryan

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If you didn't give "two sh*ts" you wouldn't going around like a deluded ****** saying that the Lumia 920 is better in every area because unfortunately its out done in quite a few areas.
Look man, I'm just telling you what I believe to be true...some of my opinions on the Lumia 920 are just that, opinions. Other things are fact...it is fact that you get more for less money, it is fact that the Lumia has a brighter screen, it is fact that the Lumia has a better camera, it is fact that the Lumia has better apps.

If I were a ****** of anything, it would be Apple...I've owned nothing but iPhones since 2007 until this jump to WP8. I haven't owned a Nokia since that old candy bar dumb phone with the changeable faceplates (1997???), so I couldn't care less about Nokia and its well being.

When it comes to my phones, It's Al Franken baby...how does it affect me?? Bottom line, the 8X is a fine device, but it is a hair short of the L920...that's all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire