no group text/sms option on htc 8x verizon, any info on this?

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't really do any group messaging but on my messaging settings screen on my ATT 8X I have an option for "Group text" which defaults to off and the caption is "Keeps replies in one thread using MMS."

Now I've heard there are some limits to how many people you can message at one time but the feature seems to be there for ATT.

slick5150

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't really do any group messaging but on my messaging settings screen on my ATT 8X I have an option for "Group text" which defaults to off and the caption is "Keeps replies in one thread using MMS."

Now I've heard there are some limits to how many people you can message at one time but the feature seems to be there for ATT.

Right, it's only removed on Verizon's versions of the 8X and Lumia 822, yet they claim to me that it's not there because Windows Phone doesn't support the feature.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that the option to turn group texts on and off DOES exist on the HTC 8X for AT&T. You know, for whatever that's worth. :)

ealexand#CB

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I also have an 8x, got it yesterday, and I'm REAL disappointed in this. How could Verizon lock this out?

If anyone is on Twitter (I'm not), shoot @joebelfiore a tweet about this. He answers customer questions about features all the time. (Joe Belfiore is the head of OS at Windows Phone)

I twitter bombed (politely) MSFT execs and Verizon. No response...

ealexand#CB

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hello All, I got an answer via twitter from Verizon customer support. Their official statement was

"I know this feature is important but this ph[one] will not support this functionality. Sorry for the inconvenience." see here https://twitter.com/VZWSupport/status/271277111069777921

I never thought i'd say this, but I'm seriously considering jumping ship to ATT over this. I was fine with giving up the 920's camera and apps to stay on verizon, but I don't think i can do without group messaging

slick5150

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Thankfully I haven't sold my AT&T Lumia 900 yet. I'm reactivating it on Net10 for the time being and taking my 8X back to Verizon. I'll possibly be purchasing a 920 in the near future and using that instead. So long Verizon, it was a truly frustrating 9 days.

ealexand#CB

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Just got a PM from Verizon support on twitter. My questions was asking who requested that the feature be disabled. Verizon, HTC/Nokia, or Microsoft. Their answer was "We do not have information from our product developers for why this feature is disabled. ^KH"

dsirico

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to throw my update in the ring ...

Obviously i was just as disappoitned as all of you, I use this feature for work *almost* a dealbreaker for me but the phone is awesome and I can't use AT&T (no service at my home). So I contacted HTC who basically told me (in broken english) that its Verizon's fault. Here's an excerpt ...

At this moment this feature is not available in HTC 8X due Verizon’s decision. I know this very important to have this feature available, as a personal note I use it a lot in my device. If you want to find out more about this decision we advise you to contact Verizon.

So I called/emailed/chatted Verizon and finally got to someone who told me they're aware of this issue and expect it to be addressed in a future update. Unfortunately, I have no paper trail or record as it was a phone call. But based on the conversation I had with this particular person, I don't feel confident.

I will continue to put pressure on Verizon maybe if enough of us do they'll address it faster.

segadc

Apr 12, 2008
Visit site
Lately I have been getting some group texts. Wow its annoying. Even more so because there is not a way to at least see who got the message. The only way I know if someone replies (which of course gets seperated). They need to fixed this! Hopfully Portico will include this. Is it only the HTC 8X or Nokia 822 too?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb