Blacks not as deep on the 920 as they were on the 900

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else notice this? Not a big deal but a bit annoying. Comparing the two side-by-side, the Clear Black display on the 900 is noticeably deeper. It was one of the major things that distinguished Nokia phones from its competitors. I wonder why they didn't use the same technology in the 920.

bmarsden

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Not trying to be an a$$, but why are you surprised by this?

The L900 had an AMOLED display -- each pixel is illuminated individually, like a Plasma. Thus, it can achieve MUCH deeper blacks than the best LCD on the planet. In exchange for this, we get the excellent color accuracy and brightness of the IPS LCD on the L920. I'm personally a fan of the higher contrast on AMOLED displays, but I think Nokia made a good choice in this case.

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I was kinda of disappointed when I turned on my white L920 and saw that the screen was not HD SAMOLED....I miss the deep inky black. But the screen is still VERY nice!

HTPCdrmr

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Shoot, even my Samsung Focus (AMOLED screen) from 2 yrs ago still outperforms 95% of other phones with regard to black levels. That being said, I have gotten used to the contrast and really like the 920 display for its other advantages.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2