Nokia Drive and Maps not as updated as Bing maps?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
At least I don't think so, when it comes to searching for businesses here in Las Vegas using Nokia Drive or Maps. Entering physical address, no problem. But if you're trying to find a particular business, like a particular Rehab Center, it has no listing. But when I use Bing search, it brings up results in Bing maps and gets me the address. Not limited to Rehab Centers either. It has happened before, with other businesses like restaurants. I just haven't kept track.

No, I'm not a recovering addict. :p My wife is in the medical field and she relies on her phone's GPS for work. Luckily, on her 900 Bing maps isn't buried like it is on our 920. Which is kinda bad, because she can't rely on Nokia Drive/Maps, which WP is obviously trying to force on us. I hope Nokia updates our Maps soon, or at least before she decides to upgrade to WP8.

clmbngbkng

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
I've had it where Nokia Drive took me to an old location of the place I was going and not where I really wanted to go. I hope they update more often.

Edit: And from what I can tell there isn't a way to report an old listing like in Bing Maps.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I've had it where Nokia Drive took me to an old location of the place I was going and not where I really wanted to go. I hope they update more often.

Edit: And from what I can tell there isn't a way to report an old listing like in Bing Maps.

Yes I was also looking for a way to report listings like in Bing Maps.

Anthony Meluso

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
There is a popular restaurant in NYC called Les Sans Culottes its on 57th and 2nd ave. Nokia maps finds on 5th and 2nd ave. When I tap on it gives me it's address of 57th and 2nd... umm.. OK? I tap it again and pull up Nokia Drive and gives me direction to 5th and 2nd ave. Does Drive not even read the address or does it have fix points!?!? So bad. Lucky I can still use Bing search to get me to the right spot. I have a bad feeling that the foreign Nokia does not care so much about the States when it comes to mapping. Maybe MS can just update all their POI for them.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I HATE the inconsistency. If I do a voice search for a business, it pulls up the business with a map, I click on the map, go to Nokia Maps, and can easily go to Nokia Drive with one press for navigation. If I do a voice search by sounding out the full address (i.e. 123 Main Street), there's no map in the local results linking me anywhere. I have to click on a web search result that has the address in there (if it has it in there), click the address from the web, and then lo and behold there's Bing Maps.

Nokia Maps doesn't have the voice search microphone to the right of the search bar, like Bing Maps. That makes it extremely difficult for me to directly search from maps using my voice. I constantly did this on my Android while driving in my car, and I know it's easily done on WP7 with Bing Maps, but not in Nokia Maps. The only freakin way to get there is to click on an address from the web to open Bing maps and THEN it is there. Ugh. This really ticked me off today, actually. Can't do a voice search for a physical address while driving... and can't do a voice search directly from Nokia maps... so how in the world can I do this while driving. I refuse to balance typing and navigating my vehicle as it's deathly tons of metal hurl down the highway [/rant]

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Nokia maps and Bing maps use the same data. I do think that navigation has been made slightly more complex in WP8 vs WP7.5. But I can still remember the days of the old Bing maps bringing me to nowhere near my destination lol. I haven't used Nokia Maps or Drive much yet so I can't comment on it much yet.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Ah here we go.
xavzb4.png
Both Maps and Nokia Maps open at once.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
My understanding is they pull from the same data points... but I wouldn't be shocked if it isn't as good (and from what I read/see it isn't, though I have had no issues; interestingly enough the AT&T store I was at was showing up as Cingular. It hasn't been Cingular for 5+ years now...).

The same goes for Apple Maps, which I do have more experience with (unfortunately). They pull from Tom Tom datapoints, however Apple maps can't find jack. And it routes you to the wrong address often, at least in my case. I would say I have had higher than 10% failure rate, which is just obscene. In comparison, Nokia maps is a Godsend, LOL!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel