Help required - couple of frustrations

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Received my new phone and the thing is lovely. However, I am having a couple of issues and any help given would be much apreciated.

Keyboard - When trying to access these forums it will not let me use the keyboard. It pops up for a second and then pops back down again. Same happens in landscape and portrait mode. I have not tried any other forums, but imagine the same will apply.

Smartglass - using is good, but I cannot use the keyboard in landscape, which is far beter for me. I hold the phone in landscape for all texts etc and this enables me to type with two thumbs.

Battery - seems to drain fairly quickly and I have everything turned off except WiFi. I have done a complete discharge and recharge to full. Also, doing another as we speak. I have been playing the free word game quite a bit theough so difficult to guage use. My simis also not yet activated so I am assuming it will be worse once I can receive calls and texts.

Kids Room - I set this up and think it is a superb idea.Problem is that I also set a password for the adult bit and it requires the same password to be entered for kids room. I would like kids room to be password free as my kids will easily get in to the adult bit and wreak havoc. Surely this is a no brainer.

Emails - can I set them up to refresh hourly? Currently I am having to go in and do it manually. I do have battery save set, but had hoped that it would at least update hourly. Otherwise what is the point in having this as a notification on the homescreen.

Free wireless charger code - Where is it? got the phone yesterday and can't see any sticker with a code on. there is one tiny sticker that was on the phone wrapper, is this it?

Vibrate - is there anyway to stop this thing vibrating once I have typed something in? It does it when I log in to this site and both after entering my login and entering the password. Such a powerful vibrate too!

Charging - how do I know when it is fully charged? I left it in yesterday and after about 2 hours it was full of juice, but I gathered this info from going in to settings and then battery. Bit of a long way around when all I want to do is glance and check.My HTC Desire had a lovely LED that would be red until charged and would then go green.

Camara - I took a shot yesterday with and without flash in rather low light. Yes it picked up some good detail, but the one without flash has a really green tint to elements of the picture. The one with flash is actually great, so quite impressed with that.

Games - I'd like the ability,particularly on kids room to allow people not to use my profile. By default would be ideal. All my family have their own XBox Live profiles, so would be nice if they could use those. I am quite protective over my achievements and stats and don't want my 4 year old killing them. Would also be a fabulous way to introduce others to the platform.

Brightness - I have this turned down real low, and it is still very bright. Can I get it even lower?

Screen - I need to protect this beauty, do I need a special plastic cover? I don't want to kill the sensitivity completely. I have it turned right down at the moment and it is fantastic.

Quick settings - Is there a way of having a tile that connects or disconnects various things eg the WiFi, mobile internet, Bluetooth, NFC, flight mode, brightness etc? I know I can add a settings tile, but I wanted somethingmore direct. Indeed, I have not even tried mobile internet yet, I am sure it must be in there though.

Plus points - Such a nice looking device. The contacts transfer tool was perfect. Did it over Bluetooth and it was effortless.The screen is superb, no dead pixels, no bleed. Vibrate scares me a bit though, I imagine this thing registers on Richter scales all over the planet. Weight is lovelly but I need to find a nice soft rubber cover as I don't want to damage my new toy.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Received my new phone and the thing is lovely. However, I am having a couple of issues and any help given would be much apreciated.

Keyboard - When trying to access these forums it will not let me use the keyboard. It pops up for a second and then pops back down again. Same happens in landscape and portrait mode. I have not tried any other forums, but imagine the same will apply.

I'd try turning the phone off and on (maybe even doing a soft reset [volume down and power together until the phone turns off, usually about 10+ seconds]. That is normal behavior and I have yet to experience that.

Smartglass - using is good, but I cannot use the keyboard in landscape, which is far beter for me. I hold the phone in landscape for all texts etc and this enables me to type with two thumbs.

Battery - seems to drain fairly quickly and I have everything turned off except WiFi. I have done a complete discharge and recharge to full. Also, doing another as we speak. I have been playing the free word game quite a bit theough so difficult to guage use. My simis also not yet activated so I am assuming it will be worse once I can receive calls and texts.

Kids Room - I set this up and think it is a superb idea.Problem is that I also set a password for the adult bit and it requires the same password to be entered for kids room. I would like kids room to be password free as my kids will easily get in to the adult bit and wreak havoc. Surely this is a no brainer.

This is something that seems like a bug that Microsoft *should* patch. There was an article on WPCentral not too long ago about this very issue.

Emails - can I set them up to refresh hourly? Currently I am having to go in and do it manually. I do have battery save set, but had hoped that it would at least update hourly. Otherwise what is the point in having this as a notification on the homescreen.

Yes you can, go into that particular mailbox. Tap the 3 dots at the bottom of the screen- Settings - Sync Settings - Download new content (every 15, 30, hour, 2 hours, manually). It usually defaults to hourly so you must have already changed it to manually at some point (or someone did)

Free wireless charger code - Where is it? got the phone yesterday and can't see any sticker with a code on. there is one tiny sticker that was on the phone wrapper, is this it?

Nokia Free Charger if you're in the UK - If the US - Call AT&T and add it in to your order. No 'special code' that I know of...

Vibrate - is there anyway to stop this thing vibrating once I have typed something in? It does it when I log in to this site and both after entering my login and entering the password. Such a powerful vibrate too!

Charging - how do I know when it is fully charged? I left it in yesterday and after about 2 hours it was full of juice, but I gathered this info from going in to settings and then battery. Bit of a long way around when all I want to do is glance and check.My HTC Desire had a lovely LED that would be red until charged and would then go green.

There is no LED light to notify you, though if you tap the clock at the top right you'll see the battery icon to see if it is full or not...

Camara - I took a shot yesterday with and without flash in rather low light. Yes it picked up some good detail, but the one without flash has a really green tint to elements of the picture. The one with flash is actually great, so quite impressed with that.

If it comes out 'green' did you take another shot? Sometimes the white balance can be a little off. Photography tip - Don't just take one photo and be done with it.

Games - I'd like the ability,particularly on kids room to allow people not to use my profile. By default would be ideal. All my family have their own XBox Live profiles, so would be nice if they could use those. I am quite protective over my achievements and stats and don't want my 4 year old killing them. Would also be a fabulous way to introduce others to the platform.

Each phone is tied to one Microsoft Account - which can only have one gamertag.

Brightness - I have this turned down real low, and it is still very bright. Can I get it even lower?

If its on low, then no....though you could put a darker screen protector, but who would want to do that? I just set mine to auto...

Screen - I need to protect this beauty, do I need a special plastic cover? I don't want to kill the sensitivity completely. I have it turned right down at the moment and it is fantastic.

It is all up to you. If you like screen protectors then get one. Though I'm not sure if having a Zagg shield or something else would be a detriment to the high touch setting...

Quick settings - Is there a way of having a tile that connects or disconnects various things eg the WiFi, mobile internet, Bluetooth, NFC, flight mode, brightness etc? I know I can add a settings tile, but I wanted somethingmore direct. Indeed, I have not even tried mobile internet yet, I am sure it must be in there though.

Search the store, they are there.

Plus points - Such a nice looking device. The contacts transfer tool was perfect. Did it over Bluetooth and it was effortless.The screen is superb, no dead pixels, no bleed. Vibrate scares me a bit though, I imagine this thing registers on Richter scales all over the planet. Weight is lovelly but I need to find a nice soft rubber cover as I don't want to damage my new toy.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Kid's Corner isn't designed to let your kids pick up your phone and use it without getting permission first. (A lots of gaming could easily run out your battery.) The idea is for you to give them permission by keying in your PIN and then handing them the phone. Once they go in to Kid's Corner, the phone won't let them access the main parts of the phone without keying in the PIN again.

With Kid's Corner, you get privacy and protection for your stuff and keep the kids from draining your phone. You do not get the ability to turn your phone into a parent or friend replacement for your kids. ;)

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Kid's Corner isn't designed to let your kids pick up your phone and use it without getting permission first. (A lots of gaming could easily run out your battery.) The idea is for you to give them permission by keying in your PIN and then handing them the phone. Once they go in to Kid's Corner, the phone won't let them access the main parts of the phone without keying in the PIN again.

With Kid's Corner, you get privacy and protection for your stuff and keep the kids from draining your phone. You do not get the ability to turn your phone into a parent or friend replacement for your kids. ;)

Whoa there...... I know where you are coming from but the little devils often pick up my Android for a quick fiddle. I'd just like the idea of allowing them easy access to a couple of features. Worse still, when the PIN comes up it also offers them the option to dial. I quite fancied avoiding that feature for them. When they have grabbed my Android I find I have to place it in flight mode due to some unsavoury ads they accidently click on.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Following on from my earlier post on the battery. I have been doing some gaming, but not a massive amount. Currently at less than 60%.

Re: the wireless charger code, it asks for IMEI number and the other number but does not explain which other number.

Keyboard - this issue is a nightmare if it is permanent.

Camera - taken some belting shots today, although the green tint is very apparent in some low light shots.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb