Text Message Issue on 920

Commander Data

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey folks, fact finding mission here,

So my wife and I just got 920s a few days ago on Rogers (Canada) and we are having strange issues with text messages. Some are randomly not going through (espsecially longer ones that are multiple texts). It comes back and I have to resend once or twice before it goes through. Is anyone else having this issue or is it just a Rogers thing? My Focus and Optimus 7 never had this issue.

Thanks!

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
On rare occasion I'll have to re-send a message, but not too often, usually once every few days or so... The same thing happened with my 900 so it didn't surprise me, and happens rarely enough that it doesn't bother me.

Commander Data

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
On rare occasion I'll have to re-send a message, but not too often, usually once every few days or so... The same thing happened with my 900 so it didn't surprise me, and happens rarely enough that it doesn't bother me.

Ok, thanks. This is definitely more than an occasional issue. I'm starting to think it is maybe a temporary carrier problem, unless someone else corroborates this issue.

freddyson

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Im having the exact same problem! Its really annoying. I find if i stay on the message window it will go through. But you have to stay on the window for a good minute or two. Its just getting on my nerves. I thought the network+ update fixed it but it still is acting up.It doesnt happen as often after the network+ update but still happens (Im with Rogers as well)

Commander Data

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Im having the exact same problem! Its really annoying. I find if i stay on the message window it will go through. But you have to stay on the window for a good minute or two. Its just getting on my nerves. I thought the network+ update fixed it but it still is acting up.It doesnt happen as often after the network+ update but still happens (Im with Rogers as well)

Yes! This has been my experience as well. Staying in the app generally makes it go through. Leaving right away causes problems. Which makes me worried that it might be a device issue. What do you mean by network+ update?

yvobox

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I got my new lumia 920 replaced after a week. It was powering down on its own, freezing and txt messages wouldn't go through (to be exact...some of them and it would take a very long time). With my new lumia 920 all seemed working great with an exception of texting. I was ready to give up on it and was thinking to go back to iPhone. I've talked with Nokia and At&t reps and no one could figure it out. FOR ALL OF YOU HAVING PROBLEMS WITH TEXTING...CHECK THAT YOU HAVE 1 BEFORE A MOBILE PHONE NUMBER THAT YOU WANT TO TEXT TO. Not all my phone numbers transferred with 1 and that was the reason for texts not going through :), besides that I really think it is a wonderful device....more fun to have than iPhone.
10 DAYS LATER....
If you are switching from iPhone to Nokia 920 and have txt message problems here is a fix for getting messages from friends who still have iPhones and had them while you had an iPhone. Have them delete the message thread to you on their iPhone, start new thread and send it. If the message shows on the blue background on their iPhone let them hold it for few seconds till menu come up "send it as txt message" and re-send it to you. The background of the re-sent message will now become green and your new thread from now on will be txt message and not iMessage. I was not getting messages from iPhones and had no problem with other type of phones. The messages were going to iCloud and i would sometimes get them but with a huge delay or not at all. Hope it helps :)

Last edited:

Commander Data

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I got my new lumia 920 replaced after a week. It was powering down on its own, freezing and txt messages wouldn't go through (to be exact...some of them and it would take a very long time). With my new lumia 920 all seemed working great with an exception of texting. I was ready to give up on it and was thinking to go back to iPhone. I've talked with Nokia and At&t reps and no one could figure it out. FOR ALL OF YOU HAVING PROBLEMS WITH TEXTING...CHECK THAT YOU HAVE 1 BEFORE A MOBILE PHONE NUMBER THAT YOU WANT TO TEXT TO. Not all my phone numbers transferred with 1 and that was the reason for texts not going through :), besides that I really think it is a wonderful device....more fun to have than iPhone.

Ok, this is interesting. I am still having issues, but I think this may be helping. For longer texts it is still not a guarantee that it will go through unless I stay on the screen. What I am trying to figure out is whether this is just a Rogers firmware issue or a Lumia wide issue. My hunch is that it is just Rogers as there would be tons of people on here moping and whining about it if it was everywhere. But maybe it isn't...

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Ok, this is interesting. I am still having issues, but I think this may be helping. For longer texts it is still not a guarantee that it will go through unless I stay on the screen. What I am trying to figure out is whether this is just a Rogers firmware issue or a Lumia wide issue. My hunch is that it is just Rogers as there would be tons of people on here moping and whining about it if it was everywhere. But maybe it isn't...

Same thing happens to me. If I send a longer text and exit the messaging app right away it won't send, but if I stay in it for a second or two it sends just fine (though for really long texts it's been hit or miss so far no matter what I do).

tumaykilinc

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
It happens to me once a day, i noticed it happened after i locked the screen right after sending the message. Not sure if it was the reason, but yeah it happens.
I am from Turkey, certainly not a Rogers thing.

Commander Data

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Same thing happens to me. If I send a longer text and exit the messaging app right away it won't send, but if I stay in it for a second or two it sends just fine (though for really long texts it's been hit or miss so far no matter what I do).

Exactly my experience. Are you with Rogers or elsewhere?

anon(5352752)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the SMS issue as well on Orange UK
I did make an post about it earlier when I spotted it but nobody else was having the issue.

It appears if you exit the application too quickly, it (the SMS) will ultimately fail to send. It's not much an issue with the Lumia 920 because I have also managed to replicate it on a friends 8X and I will try with the 8S when I get that sometime soon.

The Network+ Calls+ or whatever its called has nothing to do from the SMS side. From what I can see its for call waiting n stuff like that.

Commander Data

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I have the SMS issue as well on Orange UK
I did make an post about it earlier when I spotted it but nobody else was having the issue.

It appears if you exit the application too quickly, it (the SMS) will ultimately fail to send. It's not much an issue with the Lumia 920 because I have also managed to replicate it on a friends 8X and I will try with the 8S when I get that sometime soon.

The Network+ Calls+ or whatever its called has nothing to do from the SMS side. From what I can see its for call waiting n stuff like that.

Hey SpencerUK, thanks for the info. I guess that rules out both carrier and phone specific issues. I have created a thread at MS support for this, if you guys want to go and click that you are having the issue there as well: Text Message "Can't Send" in WP8 - Microsoft Community

One thing I noted on there is that I have noticed that one text message is somtimes only 70 characters and then the second registers as 134. This is highly unusual. Anyone else seeing this?

KaraNari

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I had this issue a few times as well, but I am also on Rogers and live in a basement apartment, so sometimes I think that might be it as I had the same problem with my previous phone.

Letthiswork1

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Also having this issue from AUS... Came from Iphone which worked fine.. now randomly texting gf and they just wont send and i end up rebooting.. driving me nuts

cleem11

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I've only had a new Nokia lumia 920 for about two weeks. I noticed that only w/one specific contact whenever I text, it's always like a new text. It doesn't show the thread of our dialogue. When I try to reply to thic specific contact, I'm immediately sent to the start screen. This just came out of the blue. HELP!

yototop

May 24, 2013
Visit site
im having a problem sending a txt message to a group or to many..its always try again..anybody experienced it?and how did you fix it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs