8x about as useful as a chocolate teapot

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Have had my 8x over two weeks and like most on here had random reboots and issues with Xbox music, however all these issues disappeared in the first few days and my phone had been working perfectly for over a week. You all know there's a big ole but coming...

BUT in the last two days I've had sim errors, dropped calls, unable to respond to text messages, people hub kicking straight back to the start screen and not updating, backup service encountering errors, phone book not recognising numbers and a constant vibration on receiving messages that won't stop until I turn the phone off.

Have just done a hardware reset to see if it sorts it out so I can actually use the phone in the morning so I can hurl some abuse at HTC for putting out a piece of **** that can't have been quality tested before it left the factory.

Just putting this up as a bit of a warning as I got the phone on release day so may have had it longer than most.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Os version 8.0.9903.10
Firmware rev no. 1532.20.10005.206
Hardware rev no. 0002
Radio software version 1.10.32.19.19_3_15.39.32.19
Radio hardware version 2.126.0.d4
Bootloader version 0.0.1532.20(156792)
Chip SOC version 8260A

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
O2 UK i take it? I have exact same versions...no issues so far - one random reboot in nearly two weeks (i got it the Monday after release date) and a slightly rattly vibrate motor - oh and the micro USB slot is wiggly. Maybe HTC rushed these phones out without checking them...

Edit: I took mine back - other handsets were identical.

nicooke

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
why haven't you RMA'd it or exchanged it at the store yet?

It is happening on 920s too - the theory is that it is a software thing and so RMA wouldn't help. Plus there are a few people over in the reboots thread that have RMA'd and it hasn't changed anything - the new handsets do the exact same thing.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah O2 uk. Its going back tomorrow. I expected a few problems the first few days but as I said its been perfect for over a week. Going to get a new one. Am not going to accept a repair job

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
@Ryan32 No offence intended but you've had your phone 2 days. If you end up not having any problems then lucky you. UK release was 16 days ago. From my 16 days of use I've had 12 days with no issues. The last few days have been unbearable trying to use the phone. I'm having to turn it off then on again
just to be able to make a call.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Had mine for a week....fine here. Wife too. Take it back and goof luck on the next one.
Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

swanny78

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Ive had similar issues with mine, however I did have teething issues with my hd7 too on release. MS released nodo update and it was fine after that. My point is this could be an os issue rather than a phone issue, seen someone said they had similar issues on Nokia. So would say its a bug in os.

stueyboy

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I managed to convince my wife to get an HTC 8X on O2 instead of shelling out the ridiculous iPhone 5 costs. She had it for a week and we took it back on Saturday for a refund as the software was completely unstable. Consisting of reboots at random, unreliable network contact, people hub not working correctly, none of the accounts syncing ( they all keep saying "syncing" in settings) and the messenger hub booting back to the home screen. That's the problems I can remember. For my wife (and the vast majority of other general users i imagine) she doesn't want to have to do a hard reset every week just to keep a phone working.

These all seem like software errors to me and understandable given that it's a new release and MS may have rushed the release to get it out in the wild. But, it's really disappointing given the big advertising push it's getting here in the UK and the push they are trying to make to people wanting a phone that just works. Perhaps a software update will fix this in the near future and I really hope so as I think it's an amazing OS but for my wife, it's too late. I have a Lumia 800 and have had it for a year and was hoping to upgrade to WP8 when I can next year but these issues are really making me worry about WP8.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Been on the phone and online to O2 support - got told my software wasnt up to date and recieved an email to a software update with a broken link. Funny thing is both emails had different software version update numbers. Online chat ended up telling me to take it back to an O2 store for replacement. Am waiting a phonecall from HTC as ive been on to them as well. I am going to find out from them if its a software or hardware issue. Hopefully its the later and i can just get a replacement phone given to me.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
The Firmware is carrier dependent... It looks like some of the "locked" phones got some really crappy firmware. I don't think that HTC should be blamed here. If have two both unlocked, no issues.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Got a decent response from HTC - got to speak to the comms manager for europe - he knows about the reboot issues but hes saying its either carrier or OS issue. He said that they havent seen anything in thier hardware diagnostics that would explain the reboots or the sim errors and OS issues i have been having. Hes told me to go back to O2 and has given me all his details and told me to report back to him on O2's response to me asking for a new phone and that if i get any issues to call him immediately. Good to have someone fighting in my corner.

nicooke

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Mine is unlocked off contract from Clove and I have reboots too so looks like I also got crappy firmware - I DO have an o2 sim in it though so maybe it pulled something down, or connectivity app did it - I wondered why it had to restart to apply an APN. Can you post the link to the firmware that didn't work? I'll have a poke around if you like.

Good to hear someone get a decent response from HTC. Looks like it is now in MS's corner if they are right.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Glad to hear that. I know its not a massively widespread issue and i must have just had one of an unlucky batch. Its always going to happen with new bits of kit. Just frustrating that it does happen.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
It is happening on 920s too - the theory is that it is a software thing and so RMA wouldn't help. Plus there are a few people over in the reboots thread that have RMA'd and it hasn't changed anything - the new handsets do the exact same thing.

The vast majority of 8X's and 920's are NOT doing all of these things.

I think swapping it out for a new one is the obvious thing to do here. I'd have done that in a heartbeat if my phone was doing even 1/2 of that crazy stuff.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo