09-18-2013 02:27 PM
51 123
tools
    I have a Lumia 920 and a 2009 Acura TSX.

My phone connects via bluetooth just fine. I make and receive calls and play music. My problem is that while my phone is paired to my car, it won't play any sounds for notifications. It has before, I think. It does vibrate, but I don't always notice that. I can go in to change ringtones and try to play them manually and it won't play them, but if I disconnect bluetooth it all plays. I was listening to something using the audio jack while the phone was paired and heard a notification, but I don't usually do that.

This is a minor annoyance as I don't know when I receive a text if I am on the road for a while and only check my phone at stop lights. I have tried rebooting the phone and that did not change the behavior. Odd behavior, hope it gets fixed.
    Here is the problem. There are two different channels that your phone connects via Bluetooth; "Calling" and "Music". When my phone connects to my car, all sounds from the phone itself stop working.
    The reason is because the sounds are "pushed" to my car. My text notifications will play through my car speakers, etc. However, the problem is that to hear them, I have to have my car input set to "Bluetooth" mode because those sounds are pushed through the "Music" channel. This is a problem because I listen to my music via the radio or USB stick, I need the car input on "Radio" or "USB" mode. It is stupid that they do this. The text and email notifications should be pushed through the "Calling" channel, not the "Music" channel. They should function the same way a call comes through; I can have my car on any input mode and when a call comes through, it interrupts the music. This is how text notifications SHOULD work too, especially since the have the "Read aloud" feature for text messages. Currently, the feature is useless to me. Bah!!!
    09-18-2013 02:27 PM
51 123