Fix for bricked 920's after reset. Flash Process defined inside!

The Sand

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this has already been posted here in the sticky thread, but the following fix worked for me. No flashing required:

1. Soft reset the phone (hold volume down and power until it vibrates, then let go)
2. Wait for Nokia logo
3. Enter the following whilst Nokia logo is showing, one key at a time - Volume Up, Volume Down, Power, Volume Down

Credit to smearp on the Nokia forums for this method - Stuck on running gears for over 8 hours!! Nokia Lu... - Nokia Support Discussions

Warning - This command will hard reset your phone and you will lose you personal data (although if you are stuck in gears screen then it's probably not something you will be worried about)

Thanks for sharing this... it is also nice to hear specifically from Nokia Care (mentioned from the Nokia link you provided) that the spinning gears should not be taking that long. I am wondering if this is happening due to the phone backing up excess content during the reset process? It might be better to uninstall every app and remove all content manually from the phone before you do a hard reset ensuring the "backup" is light. You can log into windowsphone.com to push the apps back onto the phone anyway... Just a thought... I for one will do that the next time and we all know there will most likely be a next time.

stevethenerd

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Dead Lumia 920

I wish I had seen this yesterday, just sent mine back to nokia... and you know this is all they do :(

Update: May 9
Just got my 920 back... I missed it alot. The loaner was a LG pj the couldn't do anything.

Last edited:

sk1d_mark

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Had this problem tonight after my phone doing some odd things, like taking two pictures for each 1 I took. So thought I'd do a phone reset.. then I got the 2 cogs spinning issue, left it like that for at least an hour :-(

Tried all the options of buttons over and over again, so started to read up about the firmware flash, while I downloaded bits and read the readme , I kept pressing down and power, maybe 20 times, getting the cogs each time.

Then I gave up and reached for my usb cable, went to plug it in and the boot loader came up and the phone was normal ?

VERY happy now.

Not sure what to take from that, other than it might be worth keep trying and then leave it 5 minutes.

Mark

Last edited:

Sager-Naji

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi

the main software is not working .

so I can do anything , I have a windows 8 PC Is there anyway to fix it ?

I have to sell the phone today .I didn't know about this problem .

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi

the main software is not working .

so I can do anything , I have a windows 8 PC Is there anyway to fix it ?

I have to sell the phone today .I didn't know about this problem .

Scroll up a bit, there's a button combination you can use or you can just keep hard-resetting (try without SIM too) and eventually it should come back. Be plugged in while doing it.

May 8, 2013
Visit site
hi , i was able to install navi firm plus
i copied the data as instruted c:/programdata/nokia/packages/product/rm-820/<list of files>
and nokia suite installed

when i go nokia suite open product , i was able to see 4 options of lumia 920 (with rm-820,rm-821,rm-822)

when i choose one of them and then programming-> recovery
i couldn't see the any things there

there is only <code> <variant> <version>
nothing below to it

i feel i am almost close , but could not make it ,

can any body help me rearding this

thank u

padmakumar

Mr Second

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello!

My red 920 showed an update was available, but booted to the spinning cogs screen and got stuck there until now... I tried to flash it, but Nokia has shut down the access to Navifirm. Does anyone have the files needed for flashing it? (mine is 059R020: RM-821_VAR242649_CV_FR_Black_v1_Red).
I wouldn't like to take it to Nokia Care because the warranty does not cover devices bought outside of Brasil (mine is from France) and they charge USD 140 for the service... :(

Thanks in advance! :D

aimstylus

May 10, 2013
Visit site
anyone experience this error when trying to run NaviFirm??

"Service specific exception: com.nokia.posti.server.caresuite.webservice.UnauthorizedFault"

jjuki

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
anyone experience this error when trying to run NaviFirm?? "Service specific exception: com.nokia.posti.server.caresuite.webservice.UnauthorizedFault"
Check this Navifirm+ Workaround: Download Files From Nokia Servers | BlinkThinks in Binaries Mine Lumia 920 also got stuck on the cogwheels after hard reset. I went to Nokia Care, because I was worried about voiding my warranty. When they said that there was a pretty long queue, I asked would I void my warranty by flashing it myself. They said that if you flash the correct version you are fine. So that is what I did with these instructions.

devil.insulted

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

I need some help to unbrick my phone.
I am stuck on the same situation of Bricked Phone with Cog Wheel after trying for a reset but now I dont have firmware to upload using the Nokia Care Suite, any idea how can I get the same.

Regards,
:devil:

benjaminleroux

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hey Guys,

Would you know the reason why clicking download from the firmware download screen does nothing? It says it was added to the queue, but nothing happens.. not download starts.

I basically enter the product code which is 059Q6W4 for the black rogers 920, click the "Check online" button, it find the firmware information, click the "Optional content files" and then download.

Nothin!!!

any clues?

benjaminleroux

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hey Guys,

Would you know the reason why clicking download from the firmware download screen does nothing? It says it was added to the queue, but nothing happens.. not download starts.

I basically enter the product code which is 059Q6W4 for the black rogers 920, click the "Check online" button, it find the firmware information, click the "Optional content files" and then download.

Nothin!!!

any clues?

Forget it... after 3 hours and 15 reboots, my reset completed... Nokia really needs to fix this...

jeffgeno

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
It's good it was fixed, but the answer to your question is to use the latest version of the Nokia software. It's the one dated January 2013, I think. I tried to get my bricked Lumia up and running with the 2012 software and had the same issue you did. Updating to the new one fixed it and allowed me to flash.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Both Navifirm and NCS are not working for me right now... One shows server error and NCS wouldn't install because of the Visual C++ and I tried to install that also didn't work..
Windows 8 tried both my laptop and desktop PC..

bsd107

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
This thread saved my phone. Thank you very much. The reason I did a reset in the first place was because the 1308 update caused my tiles to not update new content anymore. The apps that I noticed that didn't update anymore were wpcentral, chronos calendar, weave, battery tile, usa today. 1314 update didn't help either.

Same here - went through hard reset, stuck in gears, flashed, tons of updates and days of updating apps. Then 3rd party tiles worked for about 2 weeks, then stopped. 1314 is just as broken in this regard as all previous versions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786