Fix for bricked 920's after reset. Flash Process defined inside!

aalex

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing this... it is also nice to hear specifically from Nokia Care (mentioned from the Nokia link you provided) that the spinning gears should not be taking that long. I am wondering if this is happening due to the phone backing up excess content during the reset process? It might be better to uninstall every app and remove all content manually from the phone before you do a hard reset ensuring the "backup" is light. You can log into windowsphone.com to push the apps back onto the phone anyway... Just a thought... I for one will do that the next time and we all know there will most likely be a next time.

Thanks for the great thread. I did the keys method as well and it worked for me. Just wanted to chime in. I upgraded to a 928 on Verizon and wanted to prep my 920 to resell it. I did a reset and ran into the gears problem. Took a good 20 minutes of trying the keys method over and over again but it finally worked. Happy.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this has already been posted here in the sticky thread, but the following fix worked for me. No flashing required:

1. Soft reset the phone (hold volume down and power until it vibrates, then let go)
2. Wait for Nokia logo
3. Enter the following whilst Nokia logo is showing, one key at a time - Volume Up, Volume Down, Power, Volume Down

Credit to smearp on the Nokia forums for this method - Stuck on running gears for over 8 hours!! Nokia Lu... - Nokia Support Discussions

Warning - This command will hard reset your phone and you will lose you personal data (although if you are stuck in gears screen then it's probably not something you will be worried about)

Yep, this worked for me. I tried the Nokia Suite along with Navifirm and absolutely couldn't get them to install, even doing the cache manually. Nokia suite just wasn't having it on 2 different machines (1 was Vista and the other was Windows 7). This worked on my third try and I had to do the process on both the Nokia logo screen and the AT&T logo screen. 5 minutes of gears and then it reset. It was like clockwork..

DrewT3

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I was getting the Install Interrupted error installing Nokia Care Suite on my Windows 7 32bit. This is what worked for me:

I wanted to log the install, so I found you can generate a log file by running the MSI from a command line like:

msiexec.exe /i D:\Users\DrewT3\Downloads\Nokia_Care_Suite_PST_5.0_2013.1.3.4\NokiaCareSuiteForStore-2013_1_3_4.msi /L*v D:\Users\DrewT3\Downloads\Nokia_Care_Suite_PST_5.0_2013.1.3.4\Your.log

after I looked at the log, it seemed the problem was with the InstallFLS component returning 1603
CustomAction InstallFLS returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

I looked this up and it seemed to be a permissions issue.

So, I finally ran the command prompt as an administrator, then reran the command line MSI launcher, and the whole thing installed without a problem.

I hope this helps someone else, it was driving me crazy.

potahov

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
oh thanks for sharing guys!
fixed the bricked phone from 1st try today (att, red, stuck on gears for 10 hours after phone reset)
windows 8 x64, just dont forget to launch as admin

scotty6kids78

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
is there an unlocked generic firmware than can be flashed on the phone rather than having to download the ee UK branded firmware for the white variant

not even sure if this is possible with Windows Phone however thought I would ask?

Cheers

BongoToto

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I am trying to install the 059 Q6W4 firmware onto my 059 R2L5 Nokia Lumia 920.

Everytime I try it fails with an error:
0xFA1304 : Platform ID check fails:
Reason(s): The FFU file is not meant for this product. The platform ID of image does not match with platform ID of the device.

However the device show Platform Code : 059 R2L5

Any help please ?

tlhami

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Getting an error message when launching the Navifirmplus software. An exception error when attempting to connect to the server. Did I do something wrong or is this common?

orcagti

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have a nokia lumia 920 that is stuck in the gears spining. I download the software you recomended but the NaviFirm+ 1.7 is giving me this error "Service Specific Exception: com.nokia.posti.server.caresuite.webservice.UnauthorizedFault"

I'm running windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bits

Please help me.

Thank you.

klcow

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
navifirm does not work anymore since Nokia enabled password access for the server. Another way to download the firmware is to open Nokia Care Suite, open the Product Support Tool for Store 5.0, open tools->firmware download and enter product code (eg. 059R1W5). The downside is, it will only download the latest firmware for the device, so no going back to previous versions.

Feeni

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Tried that as well and the application keeps crashing with message:

"A Task's exception(s) were not observed either by Waiting on the Task or accessing its Exception property. As a result, the unobserved exception was rethrown by the finalizer thread.
at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskExceptionHolder.Finalize()"

Any other way to get the proper firmware?

Edit: I think this is related to the password too. After messing around a bit I got a different error message:

"Access is denied. Verify credentials."

Last edited:

sravanv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Woohoo! I just resurrected a lumia 920 from the dead! I'll be posting my experience in a separate post later and will detail the steps that will hopefully help someone in a similar situation. Feel free to PM me any questions you may have.

Background:

Rogers Lumia 920 now working on T-Mobile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium