Fix for bricked 920's after reset. Flash Process defined inside!

lesd777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok. I was using to new a version of Nokia Care Suite. So now I was able to download the firmware. The USB Recovery is now in progress. To lesd777, Navifirm no longer works. I think they should update the first post of this thread with the new way to do this.

Download Official Nokia Firmware Even Without Navifirm+ | BlinkThinks in Binaries

Above is a great way to get the firmware. Remove the Nokia Care Suite you have now and download the one from this link. Copy and over right the cfg file after install. Once you successfully download the firmware, click on File and Open Product, Filter to your device, click Open. Then click Start on the new screen. It may ask you to reset your phone before it can do its thing.

I just finished flashing and waiting for first boot up to complete. So far so good.

on the URL you provided, step 2 the dropdown is blank so I don't see "caresuite external" . any suggestions?

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
on the URL you provided, step 2 the dropdown is blank so I don't see "caresuite external" . any suggestions?

You are using the Nokia Suite version provided in the link right? If you had another version or even a separate Product Support tool installed, you should uninstall them. That Caresuit External should be automatic. And don't forget to copy the cfg file to the right place

lesd777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
You are using the Nokia Suite version provided in the link right? If you had another version or even a separate Product Support tool installed, you should uninstall them. That Caresuit External should be automatic. And don't forget to copy the cfg file to the right place

yea I downloaded the single file, installed nokia suite and took that cfg file and did a copy and replade in the " C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Product Support Tool For Store 5.0". I didn't have any other versions installed. Thanks for the assistance, but im about done here. What's funny is this has been a known issue since day one, and it's still a problem. I actually reset it to make a sale tonight as I was going to head down to ATT and pick up the 1020. Pretty disappointed to the point I may steer away from wp8 as soon as I get this phone working/replaced.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
yea I downloaded the single file, installed nokia suite and took that cfg file and did a copy and replade in the " C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Product Support Tool For Store 5.0". I didn't have any other versions installed. Thanks for the assistance, but im about done here. What's funny is this has been a known issue since day one, and it's still a problem. I actually reset it to make a sale tonight as I was going to head down to ATT and pick up t he 1020. Pretty disappointed to the point I may steer away from wp8 as soon as I get this phone working/replaced.

Sorry I can't help further. I agree with you though. I spent quite a bit of time with all this crap, and all I wanted to do in the beginning was hard reset my phone. What a cluster. I shouldn't have to search all over the internet, and spend hours of my time just to restore/reset my phone to original state. This isn't a new issue yet it appears they've done nothing to address it, nor have they given people a simple easy solution if things do go wrong on a hard reset or if your phone gets bricked. No excuse for that. And as grateful as I am that there are those on the internet that figured out how to do some of this, it shouldn't come to that. It should be MS or Nokia with a detailed solution or steps to resolve.

lesd777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I can't help further. I agree with you though. I spent quite a bit of time with all this crap, and all I wanted to do in the beginning was hard reset my phone. What a cluster. I shouldn't have to search all over the internet, and spend hours of my time just to restore/reset my phone to original state. This isn't a new issue yet it appears they've done nothing to address it, nor have they given people a simple easy solution if things do go wrong on a hard reset or if your phone gets bricked. No excuse for that. And as grateful as I am that there are those on the internet that figured out how to do some of this, it shouldn't come to that. It should be MS or Nokia with a detailed solution or steps to resolve.

ok last attempt here, and thx again. Im at step 7 where it says I can manually flash my phone. Where is the option to get the flash process started?

UPDATE: I had to click the file menu again and select the appropriate selection for my 920, then the lower left options showed up as stated on the OP. Thanks again DaveGx. Looks promising as im booted up and at the "setting up the phone" stage.

Last edited:

modul8com

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday during the day, while it was charging, I had the impression that the screen of my 920 acted somehow weird... it didn't immediately react to touch... first time it did that... so I thought why not reboot it to fix things... so I did... I pressed the power button for a while and wiped the screen down. But instead of stating "good bye", it stayed on that sliding screen but nothing happened.
Strange I thought... So I went online to figure out how I should do a real reset... I immediately found out that I had to press power on and volume down... so I did... the screen went black... but nothing else happened...
Retrying the soft reset and even a hard reset (volume down, power button and camera button) doesn't do anything anymore.

So I found this thread, installed the Nokia suite, I first tried NaviFirm+ but that only gave me errors, and in more recent posts I figured you don't need that anymore. So I installed a working version of the Nokia suite... and could find a file that corresponds my device... so far all so good...
Then I want to "Start" the update, when the file is downloaded, the file gets checked correctly, all well here... then the popup arrives stating you have to softreset your phone... I try that with the original USB cable connected in a USB2 port, but still nothing... I can hear the disconnect and connect sounds in windows 8 though, but the phonescreen stays pitch black.

I guess I'm up for a resend to factory, huh ?

Oh yeah, and don't tell me the battery is maybe empty, it was charging (and it was like almost fully charged) when the screen acted strange, remember.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Modul,
Did you do your last reset like this:
Hold the Volume Down and the Power button, click RETRY on the Product Support Tools Window

After you feel a vibration in the phone immediately release the Volume Down and the Power button and hold the Volume up button.
It takes some time, but eventually you should see a Nokia logo with redish background

FernandoDB

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
i need a help, i have some wierd problems after gdr2 update, where can I find this firmware ?
model rm-821 rm-821_Ita_brazil_253
product 059q8t8
firmware 1232.5957.1308.0001

jnbnb

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I?m (or maybe was) a proud lumia 920 user. My brother wanted to change his 620 for my 920. So we decided to buy a lumia 925 for me, for giving my 920 to him.
So today, when the lumia 925 has arrived, I decided to restore the initial configuration of my lumia 920. It was lasting a lot of time doing that,(more than 30minutes) with the black display with those 2 white gears so we have pulled out the sim of the 920 to put it to the 925 while it was with the gears.

After all the afternoon the 920 continues with the gears and we have tried the hard reset but It continues with the same display.

I need some help. I don?t want to send it to Nokia because now we have the holidays to soon, and we want our pureview cameras.. I?m waiting to drain the battery so that we can try a hard reset again.

Thanks

Jon

migueli2

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Any ideias how to fix my problem? I was updating with NSU and at last step when NSU said phone was beeing rebooted, phone rebooted then NSU said was na error with rebooting to try it manually, i did it and now phone wount pass throu NOKIA letters....

migueli2

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
After a few hours in NOKIA logo it went without battery. I read a few forums with difrent ways to solve this and none worked so far. But... Something has changed and i'm starting to see a light of hope again.

Here's the pic of what is shown now in my screen...

2013_0822_1822_53.jpg

If you have the knowloegdr to help me i'll be apreciated!

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
So after numerous firmware updates my phone still does this when using the factory reset feature I am having to flash it again prior to the sale of the unit. As it is still in warranty I was thinking of seeing if Nokia would swap the device.

Edit:

Oh dear now I have a error while flashing the device looks like I have a brick.

Edit: Tried again with some older firmware and it worked, this time it had a message saying fixing partitions never seen that before but it seems to have done the trick.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos