Wasted 1 hour with Rogers. Didn't get L920 unlocked.

snailium

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Here is my story.

I called Rogers this morning to unlock my Lumia 920. First I went to technical support option, and I was told the unlocking is take care by customer relationship department. The guy transferred me to the department.

Another guy in customer relationship picked up my phone. After passing him the IMEI, he told me I can unlock my phone for $50. But he cannot charge any credit card. So I told him to charge either my internet account or cable tv account. He asked me to hold a minute.

After more than 20 minutes holding, I was kicked off by Rogers system. The system transferred me to another representative automatically.

This time, a girl picked up my phone. After I asked for the unlocking service, she told me I'm not supposed to unlock a Rogers device because it is built for Rogers, blah blah blah.Then I told her another representative agreed I can unlock the device but the Rogers system cut me off. At this time, she asked for the IMEI and told me she would look into it.

After another more than 5 minutes wait, the girl came back saying my Lumia 920 can be unlocked, and I need to pay $50 to my ancient Fido prepaid account. WTF? I haven't been using that account for years! So I mentioned the other guy said the $50 can be billed to either internet or cable tv account. And the girl said no, they don't have authorization to bill those accounts. They can only bill Rogers wireless or Fido accounts.

I was transferred to Fido pay-as-you-go department afterwards. But the voice prompts were in French. So I gave up.

Has anyone else successfully unlocked their Rogers Lumia 920? How did Rogers charge you $50?

Another finding. The first guy I talked to in technical support department was very helpful. He told me that Rogers is responsible for the phone before unlocking. After unlocking the phone, everything goes to Nokia Care. Rogers will not answer any questions regarding an unlocked phone.

Razdek

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I got it unlocked and it was as painful as your experience. Basically if you don't have a Rogers wireless account you have to set one up so they can take the $50 fee from it. I had to activate a pay and go account and buy a micro sim card for $20.

Then I set up the account online and put in $50 credit. Called them up asking to unlock it and then they tell me it's $50 + tax. So I deposited another $10 to that account.

Then after holding for about an hour it more I get to talk to the unlocker. You need to have an active micro sim from another provider that is not Rogers or Fido inserted before they give you the code. I get it unlocked and hours later I look ay my account and they only took out $50 so now I have $10 sitting in that account that I can't use. It was the worst experience I've ever had with a wireless company.

snailium

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I got it unlocked and it was as painful as your experience. Basically if you don't have a Rogers wireless account you have to set one up so they can take the $50 fee from it. I had to activate a pay and go account and buy a micro sim card for $20.

Then I set up the account online and put in $50 credit. Called them up asking to unlock it and then they tell me it's $50 + tax. So I deposited another $10 to that account.

Then after holding for about an hour it more I get to talk to the unlocker. You need to have an active micro sim from another provider that is not Rogers or Fido inserted before they give you the code. I get it unlocked and hours later I look ay my account and they only took out $50 so now I have $10 sitting in that account that I can't use. It was the worst experience I've ever had with a wireless company.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

The girl in the customer relationship department told me I have to top-up $50 only. Because at the time topping up a prepaid account, the tax is charged already.

It seems I have to borrow a micro-sim for the unlocking process.

There have been many reports that to unlock you have to be a rogers customer.

Yes, I'm a Rogers customer. And no, I'm not a Rogers wireless customer, not any more. XD

Razdek

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
You make it sound so easy as that that friend gets to get tossed from customer rep to customer rep and finally to the unlocker which in my case took an hour and a half. After that ordeal I don't think they'll be your friend anymore to make them go through that Rogers **** hole.

Last edited by a moderator:

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
You make it sound so easy as that that friend gets to get tossed from customer rep to customer rep and finally to the unlocker which in my case took an hour and a half. After that ordeal I don't think they'll be your friend anymore to make them go through that Rogers **** hole.

I agree.. Rogers is a disaster and it blows my mind that they are still in business..

The key is to ensure that your friend has the phone in hand, with receipt and a sim card not from Rogers.. It will take him about 45 mins to fight through the nightmare that is Rogers..

Take him for a few beers afterwards and laugh about the gong show that is that place..

Have a good laugh about it and enjoy your unlocked 920. I strongly believe no one in this world hates that company more than I do..

I win by not giving them my $500 a month cell phone bill (lots of roaming etc)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss