Rogers Lumia 920 buying and unlocking experience

rajeshr68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm one of those folks on the XDA-Developer forum. It works sometimes or temporarily then stops. Very unstable.

#1 - I have an Galaxy S3 and the Lumia 920 and I've compared it to other android devices. Android phones have APN settings that the Lumia doesn't. Such as MMC, MNC and MMS Proxy settings (this last one could be the WAP gateway on WP8).

#2 - You're right there is no proof. So why don't the settings provided by my Network Provider (which work just fine on other devices) work?

#1 - These settings you mention are for MMS and not for the data connectivity portion. On WP8, you can find these in the MMS settings (and yes, you are right that not all are present). But those settings have no bearing on the Internet Sharing.

#2 - I don't know about your specific case, but I do know some of the other folks do have it working.

Richhy

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Rajesh, some providers seem to be more compatible with each other than others.

People on T-mobile and Fido have been reporting more success than people on other providers. Some people on Bell and Wind are reporting successful MMS configurations only. People with AT&T devices are not even able to unlock their phones yet.

Posting links that don't provide solutions for people having problems or telling people their information is incorrect without providing correct information is not very helpful...

The point we're trying to make here is the phone is not working the way it should when unlocked.
Who's to blame? We don't know yet.
Is it fixable? For many, No. For some Yes, but requires research and tinkering and headaches.

We'd love see a simple solution or at least hear something from Nokia or Microsoft or the Carriers that they're looking into the issue.

If someone has a fix for Telus, I'd love to hear it. The fix on XDA is not working very well.

Razdek

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Before I returned my Lumia 920 because it got bricked doing a factory reset I could not get the internet sharing to work on Bell but MMS was working when receiving but I didn't try sending one out. The person that was sending it was on Koodo.

Richhy

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

#1 - These settings you mention are for MMS and not for the data connectivity portion. On WP8, you can find these in the MMS settings (and yes, you are right that not all are present). But those settings have no bearing on the Internet Sharing.

#2 - I don't know about your specific case, but I do know some of the other folks do have it working.

For APN settings on the 920 I can enter one APN that works for Data only

On Telus' website they tell you to enter sp.telus.com for data and this works fine on the 920
For tethering Telus tells you to enter isp.telus.com in the APN settings. This kills data on the 920.
https://www.telusmobility.com/en/ON/phones-and-devices/setupdata.shtml

The iPhone for example has two APN settings, one for Data and one for Tethering. As seen here:
iOS: About cellular data network settings (viewing or editing the APN)

Richhy

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Before I returned my Lumia 920 because it got bricked doing a factory reset I could not get the internet sharing to work on Bell but MMS was working when receiving but I didn't try sending one out. The person that was sending it was on Koodo.

The strange thing is, I get momentary successes. MMS works once or twice when I first test it then stops working after a while. I wonder if some of the people who say it's working are having the same inconsistency.

rajeshr68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Rajesh, some providers seem to be more compatible with each other than others.

People on T-mobile and Fido have been reporting more success than people on other providers. Some people on Bell and Wind are reporting successful MMS configurations only. People with AT&T devices are not even able to unlock their phones yet.

Posting links that don't provide solutions for people having problems or telling people their information is incorrect without providing correct information is not very helpful...

The point we're trying to make here is the phone is not working the way it should when unlocked.
Who's to blame? We don't know yet.
Is it fixable? For many, No. For some Yes, but requires research and tinkering and headaches.

We'd love see a simple solution or at least hear something from Nokia or Microsoft or the Carriers that they're looking into the issue.

If someone has a fix for Telus, I'd love to hear it. The fix on XDA is not working very well.

Richhy,

That link was provided for the previous poster who asked me to show him one person who had Internet Sharing working on a branded 920. I did just that.

As for the rest, I am only responding to your point about something being baked into the Rogers ROM that prevents the rest of the carriers working properly. If that was indeed the case, we should have similar behaviour across all carriers (with the exception of Fido, which is on the Rogers network, so the discussion about Fido is moot).

I agree with your point that the no one seems to found settings that work for Telus or some other carriers - but that's a different discussion than trying to work with Nokia/MS to see if there is an issue with the ROM. Maybe there is, but it would seem that we need to find the correct settings.

And as for providing solutions, I was trying to help determine what the problem was here. We do have folks who have tethering working - so why not connect with them to see what they've done?

rajeshr68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
For APN settings on the 920 I can enter one APN that works for Data only

On Telus' website they tell you to enter sp.telus.com for data and this works fine on the 920
For tethering Telus tells you to enter isp.telus.com in the APN settings. This kills data on the 920.
https://www.telusmobility.com/en/ON/phones-and-devices/setupdata.shtml

The iPhone for example has two APN settings, one for Data and one for Tethering. As seen here:
iOS: About cellular data network settings (viewing or editing the APN)

On an Android phone, do you need to enter both the APN's to get tethering working with data?

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Richhy,

That link was provided for the previous poster who asked me to show him one person who had Internet Sharing working on a branded 920. I did just that.

How is that proof?????? If it was XDA I might actually believe it - not hofo.

One guy says he can do it with no evidence and that is proof?

Also, there was an initial batch of Rogers phones that came out prior to oficial launch that were unlocked out of the box - possibly debranded if this guy is telling the truth.

I still say Internet Sharing is NOT possible on branded phones unless dev unlocked and custom rom'd.
If you want to believe it fine but I have been living it for 3 years now until I gave up.

Last edited:

rajeshr68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
How is that proof?????? If it was XDA I might actually believe it - not hofo.

One guy says he can do it with no evidence and that is proof.

Also, there was an initial batch of Rogers phones that came out prior to oficial launch that were unlocked out of the box - possibly debranded if this guy is telling the truth.

I still say Internet Sharing is NOT possible on branded phones unless dev unlocked and custom rom'd.
If you want to believe it fine but I have been living it for 3 years now until I gave up.

The original Rogers phones were unlocked but still branded.

You can believe whatever you want, but I pointed you to a guy who claims to have it working. Maybe worthwhile posting up on HoFo and asking him questions. Or maybe get him to post on XDA Dev to add some credibility to that post.

BTW, I'm not sure what you've been living with for three years but this phone has been around for less than a month!

Razdek

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

Before you move on, here's some more information for you. Maybe this might change your mind?
Could anyone please confirm if Rogers Lumia 920 tethering works with non-rogers SIM? - Page 4

Do you have a Rogers phone that is unlocked? If you had first hand experience like some of us have then you would realize that there are issues getting MMS and internet sharing to work on carriers that is not Rogers. If you don't believe us then you should try yourself if you have the phone.

Richhy

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I believe luv2skipow is referring to the Lumia 900 and possibly other Lumia devices that are carrier locked and all have the same issues with tethering and MMS.

Which brings me to my reasons for thinking this is a problem created by the Carrier. I came across these:
Could anyone please confirm if Rogers Lumia 920 tethering works with non-rogers SIM? - Page 2
Post # 16

and
[Q] How to Flash a ROM onto the 920? - Page 3 - xda-developers
Post # 30

Users of the 900 started fixing their tethering problems when TelCel started selling the Lumia 900. By flashing the device with the TelCel ROM they were able to fix all their problems. In fact, they didn't even need to fuss around with APN settings.

rajeshr68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a Rogers phone that is unlocked? If you had first hand experience like some of us have then you would realize that there are issues getting MMS and internet sharing to work on carriers that is not Rogers. If you don't believe us then you should try yourself if you have the phone.

Yes, I have a Rogers phone working with Fido. I do realize that there are issues, but I wanted to show that someone had got it working to someone who claimed that not one person had got it working. I also assumed (mistakenly, I guess) that linking that thread here might get the folks with problems working with the individual on HoFo.

Last edited:

Razdek

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

Yes, I have a Rogers phone working with Fido. I do realize that there are issues, but I wanted to show that someone had got it working to someone who claimed that not one person had got it working. I also assumed (mistakenly, I guess) that linking that thread here might get the folks with problems working with the individual on HoFo.

, I didn't mean for it to sound like it was an attack but it's frustrating hearing someone say it's working when it's clearly hit and miss for people. I was never able to get it to work successfully and I was using the same settings that people who said they got it working did.

spikenet00

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I was at the Rogers store the first day it launched and ran into the MMS and tethering issue with my Telus Sim in the phone. I walked out of the store without the Lumia 920. I decided to order an HTC 8X factory unlocked, put in the exact same settings I had in the Rogers Lumia and voila everything worked great right out of the box. Definitely something in the Rogers ROM causing issues, even though its unlocked.

And finally, I am extremely satisfied with the 8X cause I can just concentrate on using the phone and ALL the features immediately working without hassles! :))

Last edited:

djncanada1

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I urge anyone wanting to do this to be cautious. I also bought a Rogers Lumia 920 and got the unlock code from calling Rogers. I've managed to got 90% of the phone working on the Telus network. However, myself and many other users have been unsuccessful in getting Internet Sharing (Wi-Fi Tethering) and MMS working properly. I've tried many tips and APN settings found on the web to try and remedy this issue but my success has been flaky at best.

I got Internet Sharing working but then lost Data connectivity all together shortly after by using the foreign keybord + tethering APN trick.

I got MMS working to the point where I can send an MMS and receive from other Telus users (sometimes), but not from people of other networks.

And I don't know if it's a cause of being unlocked but my Data is fairly unstable dropping randomly for a short time during the day.

This is just a warning to others who are looking to buy and unlock a Lumia 920. It comes with problems!

I got mine working, however, on Telus network only getting 4G, got LTE for short time last night.

I have a Galaxy SIII that has perfect LTE signal on Telus. I think the Samsung has better radio's, they seem to pull in a signal better

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo