Moving from Galaxy S3 to L920

UserName872

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

Finally bit the bullet and purchased a Lumia 920 today non commitment to replace my Galaxy S3. I know there will be a change in expected behavior as its a different platform. Frankly, I'm bored with android and iOS and I've been waiting for WP to get to a daily use level.

Wanted to get the opinion of others who've switched from android to WP8 how they are enjoying their experience or if they aren't. I'll have 14 days to trial run myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

timd28

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I bought my Lumia 920 on launch day and have not turned on my GS3 since. There are certainly a few bugs that I have experienced like having issues with my device freezing up when using bluetooth but that is to be expected in a first launch I think. Other than that, I love the device, the ease of use compared to android, longer battery life, better call quality, much better PIM data syncing, strong vibration alerts that you can feel in your pants or jacket pocket, hardware camera button, great speakers, wearing gloves and using the screen, etc, etc, etc!

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Long-time Android user. I dabbled with Blackberry, Palm OS and WebOS as well.

Switching from Android to another platform reminded me how dependant I am on Google services. For an entire year I had my Sprint number tied to Google Voice, which was really nice. I had more control over my inbound and outbound calls than at any other time I've owned a cell phone. I honestly think carriers would benefit from opening up a similar offering through Apple and Microsoft to compete with Voice. I like the idea of having one universal number to be reached at. Sending text messages from the web was great. It wasn't always seamless as it could have been but it was the best thing going. AT&T cripples Google Voice - at least that was my experience on the One X.

All my info from Google plugs into Windows Phone quickly and easily. I'm still getting used to this whole SIM dropping and you are good to go business. Combine that with how simple it is for your phone to become alive its hard not to appreciate the finer points of Windows Phone. The OS is simple.

wp_ss_20121119_0001[1].png

But, I like the glance and go interface. I pull back my lockscreen and I have my alerts as well as quick access to frequently used apps and settings. I'm minimalist, preferring to go with built-in functionality rather than seeking out third-party apps to plug in the holes left by the OS. Evernote and Dropbox have been replaced with OneNote and SkyDrive. Native Office replaces the Office-compatible applications I was using on Android. The Windows ecosystem truly lends itself to being hassle-free and consumer friendly. There are bugs within the ecosystem. Expect them. Expect the worst, hope for the best and settle for something in between. There is more right with Windows Phone versus what is wrong. List the pro's and con's out. I'm sure that once you fill out a list of objective reasoning the tide turns towards Windows Phone. When you get into more subjective points that nails down which OS you go with. Google isn't invincible and Apple doesn't make the best smartphone in the world. If you want a stable mobile OS with real applications in an ecosystem you are already familiar with, Windows Phone is a strong contender.

The Lumia 920 with 32GB internal storage, unibody design and excellent 8.7MP shooter in back puts a lot of other devices to shame. (Galaxy S III included) I also like how the general Windows Phone experience is essentially the same - you don't have to worry about custom skins and UI's delaying updates. (Just the carriers)

UserName872

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Glad to hear others who are Android users taking the plunge and enjoying it. Been on mine for 2 hours now, haven't put it down yet!
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

jivy26

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm a recent sgs3 convert as well. After getting adjusted to the new OS I honestly love the phone.

Only complaints is no swype kb, limited app market. That's about it though. I love the feel of wp8. After a hard reset I've gotten MUCH better battery life then I'd experienced with sgs3. I took my phone off the charger at 7 played music an hour and rest of the day heavy texting, medium browsing and fb, few phone calls and at 56% at 626pm.

Once you adjust you'll enjoy the experience imo...welcome aboard :)

Jinxed1

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm probably moving from the L920 to the S3 myself.... I'm on my second L920 with hardware issues and Nokia has yet to respond to my emails....

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
The problem i had using the SGS3 which is the same with all other android phones is that i can not have quick access to what i want right away. What i mean is that there are so many slots you can take up on the first screen, the widgets are not very helpful cuz they are too big. You have google search, locals, maps to search locations. Using the regular search or local is like going straight to the mobile website version of google which wasn't very friendly. Most of the apps are just short cuts to the mobile version of the website. I didn't like that.

With windows phone, especially now with the small squares, i can put 3 times as much apps or even more and have quick access to them without scrolling side to side or making folders to dump tens to twenty apps into a folder. I remember where my apps are, scroll up and down real fast and stop at where i know my apps are, quick access.

The search button is helpful, hit the search button, search, locals, music, tag all there for me to use and i can easily map what i am searching for right then and there which is very fluid and quick. I think it is just more streamlined in terms of being able to search a restaurant or a store and get to the maps directions quickly, android is a little clunky to me when it comes to that. Apps on this platform are actual apps such as the nokia espn app, it is an app and made as an app instead of just a link to the mobile version like android.

As far as settings goes, android is so much deeper in addition to features and options of what the device can do. While wp8 may not be as deep, you can still do the things android does and just as good.

I am not a power user, i use my phone for basic things and the basic things are just so much easier to do on wp8 platform than others, IMO. Former iphone original, 3gs, 4, sgs3, lumia 900, focus 2 and current 920 user.

rr373

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I came from DesireHD and before that, used to have Hero. I came for Nokia's hardware and its camera and so far no regrets with the OS.

Yes, there might still be apps missing, but the way WP8 has been designed (Kernel moved from CE to NT), though you wont see much difference from WP7's UI, there has been a shift in the way it has been designed. What this means to end user is, it is easy to develop apps for WP8 when someone does to Windows 8 (read the review of Windows Phone 8 at AnandTech, an unbiased site you can rely upon).

Most of the apps i used in my android are in but unfortunately LinkedIn is broken (which i rely upon heavily) or atleast doesnt work in Lumia 920.

After 2 weeks of use, no regrets on the move.

disclaimer: i still own Nexus 7, so having best of both ecosystem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss