My Lumia 920 Just Died

CrackBerry Kevin

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Well that didn't last long. I'm super sad right now. Picked up my Lumia 920 from Rogers in Winnipeg this past Friday. Been using it since then as my regular phone. A few hours ago it just died. I didn't see it happen. As far as I know it had battery life still (took it off the charger in the morning). But then I went to use it and it wouldn't turn on. Put it on the charger and even after 30 minutes it wouldn't turn on. Left it on the charger even longer and still wouldn't turn on. Tried another two different chargers now and left it on for 30 minutes on each one, and still no luck.

I took my SIM card out now and switched back to another phone. Hoping it magically turns on again, but not sure that will happen. :/

What's weird is that a similar thing happened when Dan Rubino was here a few weeks ago with his review unit Lumia 920. It just spontaneously died on him, but in the case it came back to life after 30 minutes on a charger. I don't seem to be having such luck.

Haven't been doing anything unusual with the phone. Maybe there's something about Rogers in Winnipeg that the Lumia doesn't like? The phone has seemed pretty stable/reliable overall so far, although yesterday it did restart on me once when I was driving in my car talking over Bluetooth via a Skype call (it just decided to kill the call, turn off and restart).

Not sure what I'm supposed to do now to revive it? I saw the tutorial on fixing a bricked Lumia 920, but I think this is beyond that. Guess I'll take it back to Rogers tomorrow.

Any ideas / advice appreciated.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Kevin, I had mine lock up similarly, seemed completely dead. But try the soft reset like Darus suggests, that's what worked on mine. And I discovered words with friends was the source of my lockups.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I read on another forum that someone, who had contacted Nokia Customer Service, was asked by Nokia if by any chance his phone was purchased from Rogers in the first days of release. I found that interesting.

CrackBerry Kevin

May 24, 2011
Visit site
OK. BACK TO LIFE. Took a couple of tries it seems, but the resets worked. It booted up and is alive once again. Not sure why Rogers hated it on though.

BUT NOW I HAVE A NEW ISSUE....

While the Lumia 920 was out for the count, I popped the sim card out of it and tossed it back into my iPhone 5. Just went to put my SIM card back into the Lumia 920, but the SIM Card Tray won't pop up. Then I just realized... there's FREAK'N EMPTY SIM CARD ADAPTER IN THERE AND THE PINS ARE STUCK.

So ticked off right now. That's a mistake I've made before on BlackBerry, but I didn't even realize I had a SIM card adapter in there. Totally forgot. When we picked up the Lumia 920s, we bought two of them and Bla1ze (Chris Parsons) who writes for us got mine setup while I was working on some other stuff. I didn't realize he put my nano sim from my iPhone 5 into an adapter and then into the Lumia 920. The adapter fits so smooth that I when I popped out my SIM just now it didn't even look like an adapter was in there. So now I think the pins are stuck in the hole of the adapter. I'm trying to do some careful surgery right now to pop it out without snapping anything. It's halfway there I think.. still stuck though. Fingers crossed I get back up and running.

Chris Parsons

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
OK. BACK TO LIFE. Took a couple of tries it seems, but the resets worked. It booted up and is alive once again. Not sure why Rogers hated it on though.

BUT NOW I HAVE A NEW ISSUE....

While the Lumia 920 was out for the count, I popped the sim card out of it and tossed it back into my iPhone 5. Just went to put my SIM card back into the Lumia 920, but the SIM Card Tray won't pop up. Then I just realized... there's FREAK'N EMPTY SIM CARD ADAPTER IN THERE AND THE PINS ARE STUCK.

So ticked off right now. That's a mistake I've made before on BlackBerry, but I didn't even realize I had a SIM card adapter in there. Totally forgot. When we picked up the Lumia 920s, we bought two of them and Bla1ze (Chris Parsons) who writes for us got mine setup while I was working on some other stuff. I didn't realize he put my nano sim from my iPhone 5 into an adapter and then into the Lumia 920. The adapter fits so smooth that I when I popped out my SIM just now it didn't even look like an adapter was in there. So now I think the pins are stuck in the hole of the adapter. I'm trying to do some careful surgery right now to pop it out without snapping anything. It's halfway there I think.. still stuck though. Fingers crossed I get back up and running.

Wait.. are you trying to blame me for this? :p

CrackBerry Kevin

May 24, 2011
Visit site
OK... so I managed to get the stuck sim card adapter halfway out -- was really careful so think it's ok -- which now gave me enough room to slide the nano sim back into the adapter. Restarting phone now.. let's see if it works...

CrackBerry Kevin

May 24, 2011
Visit site
And I am screwed. Invalid Sim Card Error.

I cannot believe I did this again. Totally Chris Parson's fault. I completely, completely, completely COMPLETELY didn't realize there was an adapter in there. I feel sick.

Here's what I did a while back on a BlackBerry... I essentially just did the same thing on my Lumia 920 without realizing it.

Kinda feel like vomiting right now. I feel sick. My fault I guess, but wouldn't have happened if the phone didn't die on its own first. Wouldn't have pulled the card out. Garrrrr!

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Oof, sorry to hear about that. And you were so close to getting it working again :x

From what I've been reading on these forums, though, try contacting Nokia's Customer Care. They'll probably ship you a new phone for free if you explain to them what happened. Or you could go back to Rogers if you think they'll give you a replacement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion