Microsoft Account will not complete syncing

Korfuntu

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a problem with my Lumia 920 where the Microsoft Account shows to be syncing all the time and will not finish.

I've tried turning off the phone and then restarting, but that does not remedy the problem.

There are also times when I touch the Hotmail link to view my inbox, and the inbox does not appear, but rather the phone returns to the home screen.

Previously, I had set up all my other email accounts (Gmail, Yahoo and AOL), and noticed that they also had trouble with syncing completion. I had also set up my accounts for LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook, which also suffered sync issues.

I have uninstalled all the social network apps, and removed all the other email accounts, so that now the Microsoft Account is my only displayed account.

Does anyone have this same issue? Have you solved it? If so, how?

Thanks!

mamilo1

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a problem with my Lumia 920 where the Microsoft Account shows to be syncing all the time and will not finish.

I've tried turning off the phone and then restarting, but that does not remedy the problem.

There are also times when I touch the Hotmail link to view my inbox, and the inbox does not appear, but rather the phone returns to the home screen.

Previously, I had set up all my other email accounts (Gmail, Yahoo and AOL), and noticed that they also had trouble with syncing completion. I had also set up my accounts for LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook, which also suffered sync issues.

I have uninstalled all the social network apps, and removed all the other email accounts, so that now the Microsoft Account is my only displayed account.

Does anyone have this same issue? Have you solved it? If so, how?

Thanks!

The exact same thing has happened to me twice now.

The first time I didn't know what was happening. First, when people called me from my contact list, only their phone numbers would appear instead of their names. When I tried opening messages and emails it would return me to the Home Screen. I tried doing a soft reset and it didn't help. At that point, since I didn't know what was happening, I did a hard reset. Phone was working fine after that. This happened on November 21st, the same day you posted this thread. Coincidence?

Today (November 24), I woke up and noticed the exact same problem. I wasn't going to do a hard reset again because that was counter intuitive. I then noticed that when my emails would open up, I saw at the top Syncing... So I then went to Settings > email+accounts and noticed that my Microsoft Account is greyed out and says Syncing... I also have a Nokia and Facebook account but they seem to be working as they are fully white.

I don't know how to fix this so if anyone has any input it would be gladly appreciated.

Coincidentally, the day before I started having problems, I installed Windows 8 on my PC which also uses my Microsoft account. Everything is working fine there. I don't know if one thing is related to the other, though.

mamilo1

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
So while searching through the site, I came upon this article: Skype and the constant syncing problem on Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone Central. Notice the date of the article, November 22, a day after the original poster and myself starting having problems. Basically, they were having the same problem and after uninstalling Skype (which I do have in my phone) and performing a soft reset everything was back to normal.

I did just that and the Syncing... on my Microsoft account has stopped only to be replaced by Not up-to-date. I did a soft reset again and the problem was fixed. :smile:

Korfuntu

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I decided to download Nokia's Care Suite v5.0 and "refurbish" the phone. This is basically a re-flash of the phone firmware and will delete any personalized settings and any saved personal content.

That was probably overkill, but it did allow me to start over again to set my options.

In retrospect, what I found was happening was that my phone was attempting to download all the photos I had on one of my other network-connected PC's to my phone, something I do not recall selecting as an option.

Once my phone was refurbished, I added my email accounts back, making sure to set the sync options with the most minimal settings possible (at least initially) until I can get a better handle on what exactly I want (or need) to have on my phone, as opposed to having in the cloud. I have accounts on Box and Skydrive (and Dropbox too but no WP8 app from them so far).

I also did NOT use the AT&T "move my data" app to connect to my AOL account. AOL has a bad policy of adding to your contacts any email address you respond to. This will seriously inflate your contact list with third parties you do NOT want on your phone. I'll have to figure out the best way to get only the contact that I want to contact!!! Go figure.

So far, so good. All my accounts are syncing (and finishing), and I'm having no issues at all.

I guess the self-inflicted wounds are the worst...

e2blade

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the EXACT same problem
When I installed windows 8 on my computer my entire phone freaked out and is continuing to do so
Has anyone found a solution to this

I have turned off sync on photos btw

Madpig

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
This just started happening to me today too. MS Account, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter have all said "syncing" all day.

e2blade

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Its working better, but still seems a tad glitch, on a side note, I just missed out on a job because I didn't receive a text. BRB gonna slam my face into a wall.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm having this problem all of the sudden as well. Extremely frustrating. I can't send any texts. Uninstalling Skype did not fix it. FML.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This started for me yesterday as well. What a pain. Spent an hour mucking about with mail settings, trying to sync less info, freeing up memory on the phone etc. I finally removed two gmail accounts and uninstalled Skype after finding the article in the 3rd post here. From what I read here I could have just uninstalled Skype, but either way, it works now. Definitely the most high-impact WP8 bug for me so far.

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
For me, also Skype was the culprit. Yesterday I uninstalled Skype and reinstalled signing in with Microsoft account instead of Skype account. Then the issue started for me. After reading in the forums that Sype was the issue, I uninstalled it again, reboot and installed Skype again, but this time logged in with my normal Skype account instead of Microsoft account. So far my problems are gone, so I assume there are some serious bugs in the Skype and Microsoft account integration.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Glad I found this thread. Skype was the culprit.

i also had this issue when i first installed Skype. if i tried to sign into skype with my MS account that was already in my phone and it would stay on syncing. i then uninstalled Skype and reinstalled it again but this time i made my own Skype account and haven't had the syncing issue since then. Skype still has a lot of bugs in it. i hope MS fixes these issues in the future.

tltlfla

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Found this thread looking for a resolution to the issue of:
- Not able to send/receive messages at all
-Phone lags when opening apps which use contacts
-Microsoft Account stuck syncing.

I don't use nor have Skype.

Has anyone fixed this issue short of a full reset doing anything else besides removing Skype?

I didn't download any Apps this just started by itself. Soft reset, pulling sim and restarting, etc. will fix sometimes but not most of the time and it comes back shortly thereafter.

AshDOG

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I fixed it by removing all my contacts off my Microsoft account (from the outlook.com website). And then imported my Google contacts over to the phone. That seems to have fixed it.

Figure I will just move back to the other way once Microsoft fixes it.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Someone should probably make this a Sticky, at least the 'Try removing Skype' part. It's not easy to find a fix for this issue because the keywords are so generic, so featuring it on the forum might help people.

Edit: or maybe hasasimo can link to this thread in his stickied 'bug/defect' post

Last edited:

malinatr

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this forum. It's comforting to know that my phone problems are not unique. My issue was my different accounts would not sync properly. Symptoms included: e-mail didn't work properly, texts would not show up on live tile or at all, facebook and other apps were not current. I eventually found my way to the "email + accounts" screen from settings. My "Microsoft account" would always read "syncing" along with other accounts like Facebook and Google. I read this forum and tried to uninstall Skype followed by a soft reset. Then I reinstalled and created a new, separate Skype account instead of signing in with Facebook or Microsoft. Problem solved. I'll let you know if the problem shows up in the future. :wink:

dalogrus

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,
the above set of symptoms happened to me twice and on both occasions I ended up restoring the phone to factory defaults. I managed to narrow the bad guys to adding Twitter and Facebook accounts to the People Hub. On the second occasion everything was fine with Twitter account active, but as soon as I added Facebook everything died and was endlessly syncing, returning to homescreen, not sending mails etc...
So yeah, in my case it must be adding Facebook account to People Hub...
Hope that helps or that anyone can verify that?
Regards
dalogrus

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720