Nokia Drive??

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Nokia drive and Nokia here are not synonymous and they never claim to be. I have heard a few people say they think they are. I am a bit confused why people think this.

I just thought they would have done a better job with 'here'. Nokia Drive is really good, Here is not in the same galaxy.

Headley84

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Turn by Turn, it was on sale awhile back for $0.99. It seems to work well enough as I travel a good bit for work and it hasn't let me down yet.

adamjamess

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I finally got my employee edition of the 8x and I'm sourly disappointed with the lack of apps bit mostly disgusted by its lack of good navigation and the forcing of the vz navigator app. I'm returning my 8x for the Droid DNA based solely on its lack of navigation.

Last edited:

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Try the Navigon navigation for your 8X. I like it.
T-Mobile in Germany did a deal with Navigon... Anyone who buys a branded 8X gets free Navigon Europe with their phones.
Why don't Verizon do the same thing? Verizon could sell it with a Navigon option for a like $19.95 extra.
(Sometimes I wonder if some marketing folks with Verizon are on Valium...)

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Try the Navigon navigation for your 8X. I like it.
T-Mobile in Germany did a deal with Navigon... Anyone who buys a branded 8X gets free Navigon Europe with their phones.
Why don't Verizon do the same thing? Verizon could sell it with a Navigon option for a like $19.95 extra.
(Sometimes I wonder if some marketing folks with Verizon are on Valium...)

Verizon is another money hungry corporation. They have their own Verizon Navigation that is preinstalled in the 8x. You have to pay monthly for it and I believe Apple IOS maps is probably better than that and we know how bad Apple Maps is

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Verizon is another money hungry corporation. They have their own Verizon Navigation that is preinstalled in the 8x. You have to pay monthly for it and I believe Apple IOS maps is probably better than that and we know how bad Apple Maps is

Aha... so they're not on Valium but on Cocaine... Oh well...

daverath

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Verizon navigation is very good. It was pretty bad at first, but has been updated twice in the past month and fixed almost all the bugs. It's WAY better than what we had with WP7/7.5. I don't use transit, but for actual car directions it is much better than anything else available for us. I prefer it quite a bit to Nokia Drive as well because of the interface and features.

People need to try using it before calling it crap. I'm getting sick of seeing so many posts of how bad it is from people who I'm sure haven't used it since the last two updates.

dragonboats

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
If you live in the United States, try "Navigation" by GPS Tuner. It has voice turn-by-turn, and works great. It find locations faster than my dedicated Garmin GPS, and recalculated faster too. You can try it for free, or pay the $5. It's much better than paying a monthly fee or paying $30-$50. Frankly, this is one of the best apps I've purchased in any category. :)

The downloadable maps that come free/standard on the HTC 8x sounds cool, especially if you go somewhere with limited cell coverage or travel to Canada. And hopefully once Drive+ is out of beta, it will be available in the Windows Phone Marketplace. This way, HTC doesn't have to license anything since the user will get to make that choice. And if you want the old Bing Maps, there's a few apps in the marketplace that will open Bing maps with turn-by-turn (no voice).

Bottom line, voice turn-by-turn navigation functionality does indeed currently exist for all Windows Phone users. So that fact should not deter anyone from buying a Windows Phone.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I spoke to a tech from HTC and they will not push the Nokia Drive for us HTC 8X users. They will come out with HTC Locations for WP8 but even if you already bought it for WP7.5, the tech wasn't clear I'd you had to re-purchase or an extra fee.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Verizon navigation is very good. It was pretty bad at first, but has been updated twice in the past month and fixed almost all the bugs. It's WAY better than what we had with WP7/7.5. I don't use transit, but for actual car directions it is much better than anything else available for us. I prefer it quite a bit to Nokia Drive as well because of the interface and features.

People need to try using it before calling it crap. I'm getting sick of seeing so many posts of how bad it is from people who I'm sure haven't used it since the last two updates.
I'm really hoping this is some sort of troll. You think it's OK for MS to promise something and not come through with it? And you somehow think it's a good idea to pay a monthly subscription to Verizon for something that could be gotten for free on other platforms?

soaringthor

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm really hoping this is some sort of troll. You think it's OK for MS to promise something and not come through with it? And you somehow think it's a good idea to pay a monthly subscription to Verizon for something that could be gotten for free on other platforms?
What did MS promise?

jeffbarge

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I know this doesn't help those who want all of the features offered by Nokia Drive and Drive+, but I've been working on a simple app that offers voice guidance - telling you where to turn. It makes use of the downloadable maps and such. I'm hoping to release a beta in the next 2 to 3 weeks. If you'd like to be included in the beta, PM me with the email address you use for the WP store.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I know this doesn't help those who want all of the features offered by Nokia Drive and Drive+, but I've been working on a simple app that offers voice guidance - telling you where to turn. It makes use of the downloadable maps and such. I'm hoping to release a beta in the next 2 to 3 weeks. If you'd like to be included in the beta, PM me with the email address you use for the WP store.

Hi! I've just PM you concerning your Beta app... Thanks for working on that!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12