Nokia Drive??

mkelso27

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I seem to recall Microsoft and Nokia saying that Nokia Drive was going to be available to all WP8 devices in addition to map data. Is this still true? Where's Nokia Drive? Also, on a side note, the only GPS turn-by-turn app that I can get to work from the maps app is the Verizon one; does anyone know how to use a different app? I am not paying a monthly fee for a navigation app in this day and age.

DallasFann

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Nokia said that Drive is available to any OEM that requested it.Maybe there are licensing fees the other OEMs don't want to pay or maybe they don't want anyone seeing Nokia on an app on their phone.

mkelso27

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Drive is only in beta even on the lumias. It might simply not be ready yet.

Good point. I'm coming from android and it's just a little frustrating to not have any kind of easily accessible navigation app. That has been my only complaint however; everything else about WP is heads and tails above android in my opinion.

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat where voice navigation seems to be the only thing really missing. The app GPS Voice Navigation seems to have potential, I'm still using it in trial mode but you might want to look into it.

jverge

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I just received this response from HTC regarding the lack of Nokia Drive:

Thanks for contacting HTC!

Nokia said that Nokia Drive will be available for all Windows 8 phones, this however is up to the manufacturer, we are currently reviewing the possibility of bringing Nokia Drive in our future releases and as an update. Meanwhile, you may try some applications on the Windows marketplace that have voice GPS navigation such as Garmin Streetpilot.

Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us through HTC Smartphones and Tablets - Support for HTC Cell Phones and Tablets or call us at +1-866-449-8358 from 6AM to 1AM EST, 7 days a week​

I have a few weeks to decide if I want to keep my phone... no Navigation may be the deciding factor. Microsoft promised Nokia Drive in there 18min demonstration video so I don't see how HTC can withhold it. I feel like HTX 8x owners got the old "bait and switch".

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Nokia Drive is in the store for Nokia phones, right? I don't understand why Nokia doesn't just put Drive in the store for everyone. Why does it have to be baked into the ROM?

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Drive is in the store for Nokia phones, right? I don't understand why Nokia doesn't just put Drive in the store for everyone. Why does it have to be baked into the ROM?

It's not baked into the ROM, Drive is a beta right now and the final version might not even be called Drive it will probably be rebranded Here like its called on iOS. When it's out of beta it is supposed to be offered for other devices if they choose to provide it.

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... I guess I can see where everyone's coming from, but is it really worth taking your phone back because of a lack of ONE feature that will potentially be remedied in the near future?

Or if it's not, there are several options available. I can't see getting that bent over a GPS turn-by-turn navigation system.

pdt

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Garmin StreetPilot seems to work, at least for basic navigation. I used it a few years ago on Android and found it to be pretty dependable. But on the HTC 8X, Garmin is extremely slow and unresponsive. It's very frustrating to use, and many parts don't seem to work at all. It's criminal that you have to spend so much before you can even try it out enough to discover all the flaws. Buyer beware, I guess. Also note that it claims to have transit routing, but this apparently is based only on the route - it doesn't show you what time you need to be at the bus stop to catch the bus, so that's not very useful. Mango Transit is a lot better for that. I'd like to learn more about other navigation programs, as the reviews I've been able to find online are pretty superficial. I hope HTC decides to add Nokia's app soon.

soaringthor

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Has anybody tried Navigon? Navigon is owned by Garmin. The Navigon app was updated just a couple of weeks ago, the Garmin app hasn't been updated for eight months. Navigon is the one I'll be trying when I get my 8X.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
It's not baked into the ROM, Drive is a beta right now and the final version might not even be called Drive it will probably be rebranded Here like its called on iOS. When it's out of beta it is supposed to be offered for other devices if they choose to provide it.

That's what I'm confused about. Why do the device manufacturers have to choose to provide it? Why not just put it in the store for everyone? It doesn't make sense to me.

subkamran

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I will be getting my 8X soon I hope. Voice turn-by-turn is a MUST for me and I hear good things about Navigon from other people. A thread on here asking about Drive vs. Navigon seemed to suggest Navigon was better anyway, so I think it'll be worth spending the money on it.

It is a bit sad Google Navigation won't be available for WP... it'll be the one thing I'll miss on my Droid.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
@thed - I am guessing it's because they don't want to give it away for free. I don't know why they don't just make it a paid app. Here on IOS is trash, it's not the same as Nokia Drive, just a token app wrapper around their website.

@subkamran - Navigon is probably a good choice. Garmin and Navigon use Navteq (Nokia) maps, so it's probably a similar experience, maybe better in some ways. The challenge is that it's not free. Honestly, I'd rather buy a GPS unit than pay $40 for an app. I understand how you want Nokia Drive for free, but giving it away for free is not in the cards as far as I can see.

Just in case I wasn't clear. The 'Here' app for IOS is not the same, not even close. It doesn't have voice guided turn by turn ... it's just a C++ wrapper around their website so they can call it an app. OK, it's a bit better than the website, but not much. Nokia Drive is still exclusive to Lumia and will likely stay that way until they can get a good deal for it.

And just in case you are wondering .. Hey ... Microsoft is paying all that money to Nokia ... well .. as I've covered before, Nokia has also committed to buy far more Windows phone licenses than they can sell phones, so it's actually evening out ... for now.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
@thed - I am guessing it's because they don't want to give it away for free. I don't know why they don't just make it a paid app. Here on IOS is trash, it's not the same as Nokia Drive, just a token app wrapper around their website.

@subkamran - Navigon is probably a good choice. Garmin and Navigon use Navteq (Nokia) maps, so it's probably a similar experience, maybe better in some ways. The challenge is that it's not free. Honestly, I'd rather buy a GPS unit than pay $40 for an app. I understand how you want Nokia Drive for free, but giving it away for free is not in the cards as far as I can see.

Just in case I wasn't clear. The 'Here' app for IOS is not the same, not even close. It doesn't have voice guided turn by turn ... it's just a C++ wrapper around their website so they can call it an app. OK, it's a bit better than the website, but not much. Nokia Drive is still exclusive to Lumia and will likely stay that way until they can get a good deal for it.

And just in case you are wondering .. Hey ... Microsoft is paying all that money to Nokia ... well .. as I've covered before, Nokia has also committed to buy far more Windows phone licenses than they can sell phones, so it's actually evening out ... for now.
There should never have been expectation for here to be the dame as drive. Here exists for one reason. That reason is transit and walking directions. Well, also to het feedback from a boatload of more people because, legs face it, everyone and their mother uses ios.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I installed it (here) on my iphone. I've never been a fan of the Nokia maps website ... it feels too '1997 Nokia'. Here unfortunately was designed by the same people, even the logo is terrible. The app is an embarrassment, all they got is bad press. They weren't clear that it was only walking directions, and frustrated some Nokia fans that felt like ... well .. the same way you feel when your gf shows her boobs to your friends.

I think the same thing is happening with this whole 'Nokia Drive will be available thing' ... I think it was poorly communicated. I don't really know what to make of what HTC said, but I wouldn't be holding my breath for it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99