I cracked my Lumia

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
So its possible. I cracked my Red Lumia 920.

Granted, I was glutton for punishment. I had dropped it multiple times on concrete, and it would just sit pretty, like nothing happened. Well, things gotta give sometime.

The funny thing is my friend, who is not too tech savvy, LOVED the phone when he saw it. When I told him I was gonna drop it he said "NO, don't do it! I like it too much!" and I said "Trust me, I have faith in it". Well.... He was right, and now the top half is shattered.

I am still surprised with the build quality though. Even when cracked, its operating as normal, and the glass still feels slick to use, even over the cracks.

I will be waiting for parts to start coming in and just replace the glass, as I imagine that its the same process as the 900 and really easy fix, then it'll be like it never happened. Just seems like no one has the parts yet :/

If anyone else has any bright ideas about how I can fix it, let me know! I didn't get the insurance (can you blame me? It's a Nokia). I will post pictures when I get the chance. Right now, I'm using it to type this post :p

ColeHarris

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Sadly you can't just replace the glass since its actually fused with the display so you'll have to purchase a screen/glass unit which is going to cost more than a pretty penny at least until some nock-offs hit the market, so around $100-200.

I personally don't condone this kind of thing but since you seem to have made a hobby of dropping your $700 phone onto random slabs of concrete perhaps it would be a good idea to get some insurance and then all the sudden "break" your phone 2 weeks later and get a replacement. I've heard good things about SquareTrade which costs around $50 a year and covers accidental damage, heres a link so you can look into that: Extended Warranty Insurance - Extended Warranties - Electronics Insurance

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You kept dropping it on purpose??!! One of my favorite quotes from 'Four Brothers' as it is often true: 'You keep knocking on the devil's door long enough and sooner or later someone's gonna answer you.'

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Not a joke,

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, I know. I had it coming. Quite honestly, I was mimicking the old Sprint Super Bowl commercial. Chucking my phone at my friends and laughing saying it was a Nokia. This first 10 times I did it, it was hilarious cause I would scream "Try that with your iPhone. WITHOUT your otter box!"

What's done is done. I was able to find a supplier and I just bought a new LCD (without Carrier Branding!)

Besides, stuff like this needs to happen. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has thought of doing this. Nokia's have a reputation of being built like tanks, and with the gorilla glass 2, it seems almost indestructible. It's going to be a heed of warning to others.

It totally still works fantastically, and I barely even notice the cracks now. It's still really smooth to the touch, even on the cracked areas, which is awesome. The thing that sucks is that the proximity sensor and the front facing camera don't work anymore because of the cracks. I get a (kinda cool) broken glass effect on my front facing camera now. When I make calls, it works fine, but it constantly turns the screen off while making a call. Even when I try to turn the screen on, it turns right back off. This makes it impossible to change the settings, like bluetooth, or even dialing numbers. Ironically, I had to use another phone when I called Nokia to see how much it would cost to repair. (I couldn't get past the "Press 1 for English", haha!)

Aside from that, I'm not that stupid with my phones. I never get insurance because usually I am pretty careful of my devices. I still got all my phones I ever owned and they still work great (except for, ironically, my very first Nokia that had snake on it... and that screen broke. NOT because of dropping it on purpose, but I seemed to have crushed the screen when I wasn't noticing while it was in my pocket and I was lifting something heavy)

And trust me. I won't drop it on purpose again. I'll treat it nice, like the $600 phone it really is. It's still a champ though and chugging along like no ones business!

Attachments

• 2012-11-27T23-30-55_0.jpg
    2012-11-27T23-30-55_0.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 2012-11-27T23-30-55_1.jpg
    2012-11-27T23-30-55_1.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 8

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Case and point though, Insurance is for accidental damage. I openly admit to dropping the phone on purpose, and it doesn't feel right to exploit insurance when I'm doing it on purpose.

I know it was a stupid idea, believe me. And I know a lot of people are up in arms about it. But seriously, with the multiple videos online of people taking hammers and nails to it and throwing it in the air and hitting it with a 2x4 and dropping it from space, it's hard not to get excited about the resiliency of it and want to see it yourself.

At the end of the day, I'm paying for a replacement screen, I paid for the phone, and everything will be fine. I still don't plan on getting insurance (and multiple people did suggest SquareTrade, btw, and it does seem like a good service) but on the same note, I'm not going to treat it that bad again.

I apologize to anyone that got upset over this, I didn't mean to have you guys prepare a lynch mob or something. If anything, hey, the 920 can survive multiple drops on concrete and can eventually give in, something learned right?

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Would you mind sharing the supplier information and how much was it?? That might come in handy for many of us. Thanks!

It actually took a while to find. Google won't help you out whatsoever apparently. Someone had posted it on the thread about the "easily scratched Lumia 920".

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/204542-lumia-920s-screen-i-easy-scratch.html

Nokia Lumia 920 LCD Assembly|Screen Assembly

That's an interesting thread, btw, because apparently a lot of people are having issues with that. My screen doesn't have that issue (I may have also over embellished the key test to my friends as well.... but hey, no scratches at all in my end!)

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Case and point though, Insurance is for accidental damage. I openly admit to dropping the phone on purpose, and it doesn't feel right to exploit insurance when I'm doing it on purpose.
Eh, that's kind of up in the sir. You aren't actively trying to damage the screen, right? I would say you are in a gray area, at best. But, whatever makes you feel better, I guess. Even if you had gotten insurance, the your costs would be a wash at this point. The only difference is you have to repair it yourself, or incur more costs. You seem pretty ok with it, so who are we to judge?

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Eh, that's kind of up in the sir. You aren't actively trying to damage the screen, right? I would say you are in a gray area, at best. But, whatever makes you feel better, I guess. Even if you had gotten insurance, the your costs would be a wash at this point. The only difference is you have to repair it yourself, or incur more costs. You seem pretty ok with it, so who are we to judge?

I am pretty okay with it. My friends didn't even give me crap about it or bash the phone when it broke, which was cool. My one friend said, "Dude, how are you not absolutely pissed right now?" I simply replied with "Eh... It was my fault, had it been an accident I'd be pissed. It still works after all!"

As weird as it sounds, its stuff like this that makes me grown a bond with my device. Not necessarily breaking it and fixing it, but putting time and effort into it while also putting it through its paces. That little Lumia surely has been through a lot in not even a month of use, that's for sure! Just like my other electronics, I'm seeing the breaking and the replacement of the screen as a nice experience to have that brings me closer to it. I know it sounds crazy, but that's how I feel about my gadgets! I even feel bad with the thought of selling any of my old stuff (which is why I still have my trusty Palm Pre on my touchstone charger next to my bed, being used as an alarm clock and occasional radio and web browser).

.... Albeit, it's an expensive experience, but hey, it's worth it for this phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99