Lumia 920 text not as crisp as iPhone 4?

Masterz1337

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
So during thanksgiving dinner, I was showing a family member who is considering leaving the iPhone my 920. To show how much sharper my screen was than theirs, we both loaded the desktop version of NYTimes.com well, I was surprised to see on the iPhone the text is all sharper and more readable, despite the 920 having a larger screen and higher ppi. Is this related to how WP renders fonts compared to iOS?

Darus214

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a 4s and the text on the 929 is definitely better, especially websites since you can see nearly the entire website without having to zoom out cause of the bigger screen. The 920 also, in my opinion, has more legible text. Your website might have loaded incorrectly

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeap that's the sad true. As much as I hate apple. They did good on the 4s
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Dramer77

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I am a long time iphone user and switched from a iphone 5 to a black 920.. the screen is much nicer on the lumia.. part of the things you and other people may think is less quality on the lumia is that apps etc need better programming to render the quality the screen can display better

Luke Kailburn

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You guys are crazy. I've been a long time user of iPhones and have been struggling to get used to the glass on the 920. The text looks fine but you can scroll it underneath the "grain" of the glass. It must be the polarization of the glass itself or something? Like pull up a site with just a white background. White is NOT white on this phone. Its gray and dusty. You can also see the glass "grain" that I'm talking about. It helps to have a 4,4s or 5 in your other hand to really see what I'm talking about. And its not just a defect or anything like that in mine. Its on all the att display models and a friends 920. The ppi is great, but the glass ontopncauses distortion or grittyness. I've described it as having oils or skin grease on the glass of an iPhone.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
You guys are crazy. I've been a long time user of iPhones and have been struggling to get used to the glass on the 920. The text looks fine but you can scroll it underneath the "grain" of the glass. It must be the polarization of the glass itself or something? Like pull up a site with just a white background. White is NOT white on this phone. Its gray and dusty. You can also see the glass "grain" that I'm talking about. It helps to have a 4,4s or 5 in your other hand to really see what I'm talking about. And its not just a defect or anything like that in mine. Its on all the att display models and a friends 920. The ppi is great, but the glass ontopncauses distortion or grittyness. I've described it as having oils or skin grease on the glass of an iPhone.

That still doesn't explain why the 920 screen looks better. Even the most hateful 920 reviews had nothing but praise for the screen.

Dramer77

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

what do you have the brightness set on? i have min on auto, when it dims down it looks kinda grainyish, but thats only the screen being so dim.. pop it on medium or high and it wipes out all hit of "grain" your talking about

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Personally, I prefer the font rendering on Apple devices over that of Windows devices. My iPhone is dead now so I can't compare, but I do generally prefer it's font renderer. Having said that, I really don't see it as a huge deal. To a certain point, "sharpness" is very subjective and what we're debating here is the way each company decided to display fonts.

Masterz1337

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't disagree that the L920 has the better screen, but as someone mentioned, when comparing nytimes.com on an "retina" display on an iPhone produces sharper text than the higher DPI and superior L920 screen. Hopefully they eventually use a font that renders on these 300+ppi displays better..

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't disagree that the L920 has the better screen, but as someone mentioned, when comparing nytimes.com on an "retina" display on an iPhone produces sharper text than the higher DPI and superior L920 screen. Hopefully they eventually use a font that renders on these 300+ppi displays better..

You do realize that "Retina Display" is nothing more that marketing. It doesn't exist. It's just what Apple decided to call their "HD" screen. By Apples own definition of "Retina" (high PPI) , both the 920 and 8X have better "Retina" displays than their own Retina display.

jaqueh

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
GUYS IT'S THE FREAKING FONT, just wait until Chrome (hopefully) gets released for WP8 because IE is seriously lacking. Mine also has troubles saving login information and passwords

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
You do realize that "Retina Display" is nothing more that marketing. It doesn't exist. It's just what Apple decided to call their "HD" screen. By Apples own definition of "Retina" (high PPI) , both the 920 and 8X have better "Retina" displays than their own Retina display.

Agreed. Just like how the 920 is PureMotion HD+.

gbx5

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Guys, the lumia920 display is definitely and noticeabley better. HOWEVER, iphone has better font rendering in safari. Been using iphones since iphone OG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss