Stains on the back of matte black?

ndb888

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
The back of my black lumia is getting stains on it. I am not sure why and they don't wash off with a rag and water. They look kind of like grease stains or something. Anyone have an idea?

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I and others who had early review units can confirm this...

As to how to remove them I don't believe they can as I think it's part of the polycarbonate mixing process. That's not to say it is on purpose and in fact may be a defect in production. My advice is if it bothers you, perhaps see if you can exchange it for another.

cruzr96

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Don't mind it, they're just grease stains. Can't wipe 'em off, they sort of just go away... Certainly not a big deal, just keep your hands clean :p

Mangrove Mafia

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I think the OP may be talking about something other than just grease stains, as I have these marking on the back of my matte black 920 as well. I was in the store today picking up my wireless charger and brought it up to the sales guy who also has a matte black 920. He has these same markings, but they're in different areas of the phone and they do not wash off, rub off, etc. Daniel seems to have hit it on the head with regards to an issue with the polycarbonate mixing process. The guy at AT&T told me to call the Nokia customer support. Nokia basically told me that if the phone is functioning properly, they can only advise me to take it back to my point of purchase. With that said, "Jason" at Nokia was honest and said that this isn't the first call he's had about this and that any calls related to this issue are escalated up the chain at Nokia.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
there is another thread with similar observations:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/205749-matte-polycarbonate.html#post1790095
In my case, I only see the areas after a while of use. Right after wiping the back with a damp cloth it goes away, but only for a short while. The areas are actually clearly visible when I use a wet cloth. As mentioned in the other thread I also believe that this has to do with inhomogeneous mixing (black and PC) or problems in the injection molding process (flow orientation).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo