Day 3 with 920. Dropped on Tile. Screen Smashed.

flapadlr_Nok900

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I bought my wife a 920 and a shiny new ATT contract. She just dropped it onto tile. The screen is destroyed. Not in a way that it can be used but in a way that glass is flaking off dangerously.

This is her fault. We are mature adults and admit it.

I don't expect ATT to take mercy on us, so does anyone know how much a replacement phone costs? I expect there to be a dearth of info since it's a new model but are we talking unlocked phone price?

We will ask ATT what they can do, and we have to go to them and have them connect her old Focus to the line anyway.

It's little solace, but the phone works fine, and I cannot find a scratch on it otherwise.

Thanks for listening to our sob story.

jsgiv

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
If you have homeowners insurance - may want to check there - you'd be surprised what some insurance companies cover with regards to home/personal items.

Good luck.

lottidah

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I would be leery of filing a claim on my homeowners policy for that. Did you purchase the insurance against damage from AT&T? Think that has a $125 deductible, but better than the full cost of a replacement.

I've dropped my 920 on my tile floor twice so far...but had lucky landings, I guess!

yodies

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Unless you have a very low deductible, I wouldn't use homeowner's insurance. My deductible is $500, $50 more than a new unlocked ATT 920. Also, when/if you call in the home insurance, your yearly payment will go up (so the company can recoup the cost).

flapadlr_Nok900

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Excellent advice. All around. We did not purchase the insurance on the phone, but I have asked 5 repair places for quotes, some local some afar so I should be able to negotiate something acceptable.

BCH

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
HO insurance almost certainly will not cover that. Most HO is a named perils policy, and it doesn't include personal property being dropped. Falling objects are covered, but only when they crash through your roof or wall (e.g., a plane part or a meterorite) and damage your personal property inside your home.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
The Microsoft store sells MS Assure, which is $100 down. It extends your warranty for two years and covers accidental damage with a $50 deductible. Accidental damage replacement is usable twice under that two year period. I suggest looking into that at some point, though they will want to actually see your phone. It can be added up to 30 days after purchasing the phone.

Your least expensive option is probably to add the insurance with AT&T and get it replaced then. Technically this is a grey area of insurance fraud at this point, so I am not necessarily recommending that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos