WTF happened to my Lumia?! Is this normal?? No data with warm device.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Last night was the first night it kicked into battery saver mode. So I plugged it in the wall charger. About a moment later I went to surf the net for something quick and couldn't connect to the net. Odd since I was also connected to wi-fi. The device was also smoking hot on the top-back. So hot that even with a case on it, it wasn't far from being too hot too hold.

I couldn't sync data or connect to the net no matter what I did. Did several soft resets, turned off power saver mode, turned wi-fi on and off, turned off data connection and only left on wi-fi. Nothing worked. Loading pages timed out and other apps gave me errors saying I must turn off airplane mode or turn on data. So I turned airplane mode on and off and still no change. A few apps wouldn't launch properly and just took much longer to open like Fuse. Maybe because I didn't have a live data connection I guess.

I noticed the device getting increasingly hotter too as if me attempting to get on the net was causing it more stress. I also noticed all this troubleshooting was even causing the battery level to go down slowly even while plugged into the charger!

So I gave up. Left it over night to charge and came back to it this morning and it's working like nothing had ever happened. Wtf.

Last edited:

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
sounds like maybe you got a bad device.. it shouldnt get that hot and you shouldnt lose data

Well I didn't lose any data. Just apps I guess that relied on a network connection took ages to launch (probably because it couldn't pull new data to sync I assume). But the fact I couldn't connect to any wi-fi connection or Rogers connection is mind-boggling. And why it was so hot for no visible reason stumped me too. I went through all the settings to make sure nothing was syncing and turned off any location services and background apps.

But magically after an overnight charge it's back to working normal again.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I am really surprised that after cycling the phone off and back on that it was still having the problem. That always fixes any problems my phone has. I have had times when it would not connect to services as well. Cannot be specific but whatever the problem, I reset and all is good again.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I am really surprised that after cycling the phone off and back on that it was still having the problem. That always fixes any problems my phone has. I have had times when it would not connect to services as well. Cannot be specific but whatever the problem, I reset and all is good again.

Exactly what I was thinking. Normally a soft reset will fix 95% of issues. But seeing as how NOTHING would allow me to get a data connection and the device just seemed to be getting warmer and warmer I'm slightly concerned. I'm happy of course that it's working normally again but wondering if this will happen everything I get down to below 15% battery.

boatsnbeaches

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
See my post about random battery drain. Phone gets really hot and battery drains in a matter of 2-3 hours. With your phone being on the charger i guess you got the heat without the drain :) Not sure what causes this yet. The only thing that I've found to cool things down and get back to normal is power cycle or shutoff wifi and BT.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
BT has always been off. I suppose Wi-fi could be the issue however it's the first time it's happened in the 4 days I've owned it and last night was also the first time battery hit the saver mode.

But that still wouldn't explain why data would not work only while this was happening.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had the connectivity issues, but the random battery drains are starting to annoy. One day I can make to all day and the next its dead in 4-6 hrs. I've soft and hard reset. I haven't noticed the heat issues unless I'm doing a lot on the web. I'm sticking with my device because I'm afraid of getting one that is worse. It has to be a software issue so maybe MS will fix things but I won't hold my breath. If it's hardware than Nokia is going to have a bad year fiscally.
I'm trying real hard to like WP8, but they need to fix the problems asap.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6