Returned My Lumia 920

Status
Not open for further replies.

st3mpy

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
So to start off, I really really really wanted to like this phone. I've had an iPhone for years and wanted something new. Knew I didn't want an android, as android is just a blatant rip off of ios. I waited months for the release of this phone. I bought it November 10th. First day was great. Unfortunately, it was all down hill from there.

List of things wrong:
1. Phone locks up after 10min+ phonecalls
2. Proximity sensor faulty after a week. No way to hang up a phone call. I bought a PHONE. I would expect that the PHONE would work even if anything else didn't.
3. Blurry camera if I was lucky. Sometimes my "picture" was just a blank green screen.
4. Random Reboots.

As if those weren't enough reasons already.
5. When I went to plug headphones in for the first time, the connection was loose! It's like the headphone jack is sized wrong!

At that point I was tired of making excuses for this phone. Saturday I went back to ATT, paid the $35 that I felt was robbed from me, and bought an iPhone 5. Nothing new, but at least it does what it advertises to do. I would have swapped it out, but seeing as it was the 14th day, I couldn't to risk a new Lumia 920 only lasting 2 weeks.

Good luck with your phones guys, I hope they (finally) get the bugs worked so that it at least functions as a basic phone. More importantly, good luck to you,Nokia. You are going to need it.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like you stuck out the 14 days rather than contacting AT&T to make them aware of the issues you were having, which likely would have resulted in a brand new replacement phone that had none of these issues. To each his/her own though. By the way, Android is not a blatant rip-off of iOS. If anything, iOS is a blatant rip-off of just about every mobile operating system that came before it. If you really want to get nitpicky and move away from a civilized conversation there are many points from the PalmOS (the precusor to modern-day smartphones) that all companies drew inspiration or flat out stole from. (Including Apple)

Rather than say my phone is better than your phone, I will say that while your situation seems to be echoed by other users the proportion of devices sold versus people complaining online about their devices doesn't indicate to me this was a failed launch nor does it suggest the Lumia 920 was poorly produced. I know that I get excellent battery life and I talk to my wife on the phone for almost an hour on my way home from work each day without any issues disconnecting the call.

st3mpy

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
"It sounds like you stuck out the 14 days rather than contacting AT&T to make them aware of the issues you were having, which likely would have resulted in a brand new replacement phone that had none of these issues."

That's a pretty bold assumption. I live over an hour away from the nearest corporate store. If and when I went back to the store, I was going to make sure I didn't have to go a third time. I also wasn't going to risk wasting my "evaluation" period on shipping delays. Bottom line, my phone was defective. Don't shoot the messenger.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
"It sounds like you stuck out the 14 days rather than contacting AT&T to make them aware of the issues you were having, which likely would have resulted in a brand new replacement phone that had none of these issues."

That's a pretty bold assumption. I live over an hour away from the nearest corporate store. If and when I went back to the store, I was going to make sure I didn't have to go a third time. I also wasn't going to risk wasting my "evaluation" period on shipping delays. Bottom line, my phone was defective. Don't shoot the messenger.

So you acknowledge your phone was defective, but rather than take the two hours out of a day to potentially fix the situation you waited out your 14 days and bought an iPhone. I'm not going to argue the point with you but my bold assumption as you put it pretty much summarizes the series of events that you felt obligated to share with everyone. I can empathize with living far from a corporate AT&T store. The nearest store for me is about 35 minutes away but isn't practical for me to go to. There is a store that is about 15 minutes away from my office that I have gone to, but it is technically an hour from my home. When I had issues replacing a defective device with AT&T I was told I could only deal with that location and no other corporate AT&T store would help me. Was it bothersome to work with this store? Yes, and the fact the store employees were anything but accomodating weighed on me when I walked in. I took time before my store visit though to get my ducks in a row. Customer Service phoned the store with me and together we laid out a game plan for how the transaction would be made. I arrived in the store and was helped right away. I was able to leave the store in record time and without giving up my entire lunch hour for a phone.

If after two weeks someone is sitting on a defective phone and they constantly complain about it, I have little sympathy for them. You got out of the Lumia and into an iPhone 5 and I have no issue with that at all. Unlike some customers you actually did something about it, but I question your motives related to the return and for this thread on the subject.

st3mpy

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
My motive for the thread is to raise (more) awareness of quality issues. Seeing as there is 15+ page sticky thread on Lumia 920 defects, I think it's reasonable to assume that I am not without company. I bought the iPhone 5 because I knew that what was in the box would work without hiccups. I was correct. If Nokia is/was serious about getting back into the game, they are off to a bad start. I am not a quality control employee at Nokia. In other words, why should I continue to waste time and money driving and testing phones until I find that works well enough?

I would be much more accommodating to the thought of a "one off" issue if this forum wasn't, literally, slap full of hardware defect threads.

Speaking of wasting time, I am unsubscribing to this thread. Take care.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
This Nokia fanboism reminds me of the blackberry fanboys over at blackberryforums. They will defend RIM no matter what, even as the platform and company went into the tank. Nokia is still on the brink of collapse and their smartphones have a small but very loyal fan base. Very similar to the BB story.
Sent from my HTC Titan 2 using Board Express

gbx5

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Normally I would agree with OP if he abandoned the phone because of OS limitations and bad implementation or battery life and build issues that the phone is plagued with. But not this time, all those issues he listed shows that his phone was some kind of mutated super-lemon. I didn't even know those were a thing?

In other words nothing listed were truly valid complaints on the phone itself. Should've gotten a replacement.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

Woah there bud. What's with getting so defensive? All of the problems you listed seem like pretty HUGE issues. The guy was just pointing out that you didn't attempt to exchange your lemon. Whatever your reasoning, that's fine. You decide what you want to do. But please understand, you come on a Windows Phone forum and makes statements like "I bought an iPhone 5 because at least it does what is advertised" and people are going to respond.

BTW LOL @ "Android is a blatent ripoff of iOS"

This Nokia fanboism reminds me of the blackberry fanboys over at blackberryforums. They will defend RIM no matter what, even as the platform and company went into the tank. Nokia is still on the brink of collapse and their smartphones have a small but very loyal fan base. Very similar to the BB story.
Sent from my HTC Titan 2 using Board Express

Who is the ****** here? The person that says "return your defective unit for a new one?" I don't get it...

The phone and the platform have issues. Nobody here has denied that. Pretty much all of the issues the OP listed were atypical. Some of them I haven't even heard of and I am browsing forums throughout the day at work.

SteveISU

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
Because Apple devices always work without hiccups. "Your holding it wrong", "STFU and take this free rubber band", "all phones suffer this bad from death grip", Maps, iOS 6 data bugs, ect ect. The only advantage is you walk into a apple store and deal with apple directly vs. the idiots at your carrier.

mclark2112

Feb 8, 2005
Visit site
Mine is going back tonight. Although I have experienced 3 lock ups requiring reboots in the last 12 days, I have none of the other problems. My unit is rock solid, and a pure joy to use. I do feel that many of the software issues will be addressed in the coming months, and would be willing to "beta test" this platform, if it weren't for the one major fly in the ointment.

No matter what I try, the volume in my headphones and on my Bluetooth headset is just to low. I have to crank it to 30, and I still can't here the caller when I am driving. When I take it off of bluetooth and hold up the phone the volume is fine. I even tried a Jabra wired headset, no good, even a different brand BT headset (tried both Samsung and Jawbone), the volume is just too low. And listening to tunes? Well 30 is about where I would start for volume, not cap it.

Everything else is great, I'm returning it and maybe trying a 8x if they have one, if not, I will just go back to my old iPhone 4 and wait.

ksj1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what the issue is with your volume. I'm using some Bose headphones and can't have it above 15-20 or it's too loud. I am also using a Bose Bluetooth headset and don't have any issues with volume there either. And no - I don't work for Bose but I do spend many hours in data centers at times and having the noise reduction on the headphones is great, plus people can hear me and I can hear them with the BT headset because of it's noise reduction.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Mine is going back tonight. Although I have experienced 3 lock ups requiring reboots in the last 12 days, I have none of the other problems. My unit is rock solid, and a pure joy to use. I do feel that many of the software issues will be addressed in the coming months, and would be willing to "beta test" this platform, if it weren't for the one major fly in the ointment.

No matter what I try, the volume in my headphones and on my Bluetooth headset is just to low. I have to crank it to 30, and I still can't here the caller when I am driving. When I take it off of bluetooth and hold up the phone the volume is fine. I even tried a Jabra wired headset, no good, even a different brand BT headset (tried both Samsung and Jawbone), the volume is just too low. And listening to tunes? Well 30 is about where I would start for volume, not cap it.

Everything else is great, I'm returning it and maybe trying a 8x if they have one, if not, I will just go back to my old iPhone 4 and wait.

Bluetooth volume is pretty low I admit. Is your car REALLY loud though?

SteveISU

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
I realize that. Was just pointing it out for those who may not know. I certainly didn't even, though I have a store ten minutes from my house, until I asked.

Yeah I never knew either till a few days ago. Surely we should have heard something about MS copying apple by opening a store. Maybe infringed on the basis of that store having 4 walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99