Synaptics versus Motorcycle Gloves

Dray0n

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I place many miles on my motorcycle every year. I have a nice stereo on the bike (gotta have the tunes while riding) and usually use my handset to provide audio (and directions when needed).

I have a Ram-Mount on my handlebar that holds my handset safely on the handlebars. Previously, I have always used my iPhones to provide music and GPS as needed. The one downside to the iPhone was the fact that it was not "glove friendly." I wear leather gloves, as needed, on the bike and would have to stretch out a place on my thumb in order to get enough contact for the phone to register the touch.

I never manipulate my phone unless I am at a stop (stoplight or pulled over) for obvious reasons. I won't get started on the amount of times cars come over on top of me due to the driver doing something on their phone. So through a stoplight cycle it is not practical for me to remove my glove, activate the phone, change the song or launch the GPS before the cycle changed. This resulted on me having to pull over on the side of the road if I needed to perform any functions on my phone.

One of the features that Nokia is touting on their handsets is the "Super Sensitive Touch" on the Lumia 820 and 920. I have to admit, I was more than giddy when I noticed this feature (did not focus on purchasing this phone due to this feature). I was able to test this out with my normal gloves today and I must say that is is awesome. I was able to move through all screens and enter information in easily across the phone. I attempted to do some typing on the keyboard but that did prove difficult -- but not impossible. For my use, I would remove my gloves if I was ever needing to type in information into the phone that required more than a few words.

Another impressive and awesome feature on the 820 and 920.

LikeWaah

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I understand. I ride too, and believe me, the ability to use the phone while wearing gloves was one of the reasons I wanted a Lumia 920. :grin:

I know you won't be turning your bike off at the light, but just as an fyi, you can use your key as a stylus (or any metallic object afaik) so you don't have to take off your gloves, even if your task requires accurate presses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb