Features we are missing the most since jumping ship from android to 8X

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The back button. I heard people complain about the inconsistancy of the back button in Android, but Windows is way worse. The back button drives me nuts. I wish it worked like it does on Android. Also, Google Now was very good. I miss it as well. And Notification center, but I think we are going to get some kind of notifastion system soon
I'm not familiar with the way the back button works with Android, but...
I will say that I've been a little confused about the back button with Windows Phone 8.
It makes sense that it switches to the previous program (it doesn't necessarily make sense for it to close the program), but going backwards within a program is hit-and-miss.
For instance, in Internet Explorer, it goes back in my history (which I find really annoying), but, in YouVersion (Bible program), it doesn't go back a chapter or to the previously read chapter - it goes to the main menu.
The reason that I don't like Internet Explorer going back in my history is that, if I have read 15 pages, I want to use the back button to close Internet Explorer (since that's the prescribed way of doing it).
It irritates me that I have to go back through all of those pages in order to close the program.
I think it should work the same way, all around.
If it goes back, within a program, then there should be a different way of closing programs (maybe from the task switcher interface?).
JJ

zero157h7

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I will say that I've been a little confused about the back button with Windows Phone 8.
It makes sense that it switches to the previous program (it doesn't necessarily make sense for it to close the program), but going backwards within a program is hit-and-miss.
For instance, in Internet Explorer, it goes back in my history (which I find really annoying), but, in YouVersion (Bible program), it doesn't go back a chapter or to the previously read chapter - it goes to the main menu.
The reason that I don't like Internet Explorer going back in my history is that, if I have read 15 pages, I want to use the back button to close Internet Explorer (since that's the prescribed way of doing it).
It irritates me that I have to go back through all of those pages in order to close the program.
If it goes back, within a program, then there should be a different way of closing programs (maybe from the task switcher interface?).
JJ

How does Fringe end?

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The BACK button works fine for me. I find the SEARCH button more inconsistant! For example, while in an app that supports search, you have to rely on a menu option or search icon rather than a native integration of the SEARCH button. Having this button just to open Bing is quite useless in my opinion.
Agreed...
I posted on a different thread that, in Internet Explorer, if I type "walmart" into Internet Explorer's address bar, it switches to the Bing program and shows me local stores.
I would expect it to automatically add ".com" or, at least, bring up the Bing webpage with search results.
Why would I go to Internet Explorer to find local store locations?
I would open Maps to do that (or Bing).
JJ
About the notification center:
I guess I am the only one who doesn't care! The live tiles work well enough for me; I have no desire for an Android-like notification center.
I, definitely, think that the LED should be used for more.
If it's charging, I know it's charging (I'm the one that plugged it in).
If the screen turned on when a text (or any other kind of notification) happened, it wouldn't be as crucial.
But...
If the phone is on silent and the screen is off, I have no means of knowing someone sent me a text.
JJ

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
JJ

For IE, it's working as designed - it's mocking your desktop browser, where if you press back, you go back a page. The three buttons: Back, Start, and Search | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

The back button can be overridden by developers, so some behaviors you may see in 3rd party programs may not follow standard. Back button should take you back a screen in your program, or up a menu system, or like email, back to the main page. Once you get to that main, the next back button press exits the program.

abu5217

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Just got my phone a couple days ago after 2 years with a DroidX (horrible phone). I miss the following:

- Like everyone else, a good Nav app. Unlike everyone else, it's not Google, but Waze. I switched from GMaps+Nav to Waze a few months back, and truly miss the crowd-sourced traffic, hazards, and especially the warnings of Police ahead.
- Having an option in every keyboard to open the voice recorder for speech to text. This was invaluable while driving, especially if I needed to enter an address into Waze
- Music player does not display the Now Playing list? Really? (Unless I am too much of a noob and have not figured it out)
- Amazon MP3 player. I much prefer their streaming options, plus I already have many songs in that cloud. For that matter, it would be nice to have Amazon Instant Video (there's an XBOX app for that, would like it on the phone as well)
- A Facebook app that doesn't suck. That's 100% on Facebook, as their Android app was pretty hideous as well. Although the People tile is a pretty good replacement for basic FB functionality
- The ability to edit the dictionary for the predictive typing. I know that I can add to the dictionary if the phone thinks that I have spelled something wrong, but I would like to add certain things. While we are at it, I would love to be able to enter Autocorrect entries for commonly-used text strings. For example, I had setup my Android to correct certain 3 letter codes to longer things, like email addresses or usernames. Now, some of this may happen automatically as the phone "learns" my typing habits, but would love to be able to customize.

What I miss most though is the general tightness that Android gave you with your Google ecosystem. My Gmail account was the driver for the phone, and I never had to login again to use/personalize other Google apps. I have had to enter my Live ID multiple times for different MS Services, I would think that, since that is the "main" account for the phone, I should not have to do that.

All that said, I am LOVING the phone. SO much faster than my old droid, very stylish, exponentially better battery life, and much more. I only hope that many others find that WP is the way to go, so that more App developers can release WP apps.

longsh0t

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Free wifi tethering by rooting your Android. I tried the wifi tether WP7 trick but either I suck at following directions (which is actually very possible) or it doesn't work for WP8.

I was told by a Verizon rep that specific hardware is needed on a phone in order for it to be able to be a portable hotspot which is why the 8x doesn't have it. That doesn't seem accurate to me though.

As far as what I'm going to miss the most (once my phone arrives) are a native Facebook app, wifi tethering and Swiftkey. There are a few minor apps that would have been useful such as Alarm.com for our security system and my banking ones but they're all accessible via the web so should do fine (for now).

As for not missing navigation, I bought a dedicated GPS device for our cars a few years ago when I got my Samsung Galaxy S. The GPS on that thing was horrible.

Last edited:

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I actually don't miss wifi tethering since most of the time I'm using tethering on my phone is because Wifi isn't working right or available. With iOS this required shutting off Wifi completely or deleting networks, etc. just so I could use Wifi between my phone and computer and then cellular to get out to the Internet. Or I would have to use Bluetooth which was spotty at best.

abu5217

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
As far as what I'm going to miss the most (once my phone arrives) are a native Facebook app, wifi tethering and Swiftkey. There are a few minor apps that would have been useful such as Alarm.com for our security system and my banking ones but they're all accessible via the web so should do fine (for now).

There is a native Facebook app... it just sucks. Which is par for the course with every Facebook app I have used...

One other thing I miss... In the Google Play Store, there was a section on what has changed when an update comes out. I have not seen that available with updates from the Windows Store. Would be nice to know, especially if you are hoping for a new feature / bug fix.

zero157h7

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I was told by a Verizon rep that specific hardware is needed on a phone in order for it to be able to be a portable hotspot which is why the 8x doesn't have it. That doesn't seem accurate to me though.

As for not missing navigation, I bought a dedicated GPS device for our cars a few years ago when I got my Samsung Galaxy S. The GPS on that thing was horrible.

That is a load of crap. It has their paid portable hotspot service built in.

pdt

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site

What phone are you talking about? The Verizon HTC 8X does have wifi tethering (in Settings it's called Internet Sharing), it works great, and on a shared plan it's free.

deadinsidesavior

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
- A Facebook app that doesn't suck. That's 100% on Facebook, as their Android app was pretty hideous as well. Although the People tile is a pretty good replacement for basic FB functionality

The FB app on WP8 is actually not by Facebook, it's written by Microsoft. And you're right, it's freaking terrible. It crashes on me every couple of minutes. It got so bad I just complete gave up on it and just used People app for news feed and integrated chat with Messenger....

longsh0t

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
What phone are you talking about? The Verizon HTC 8X does have wifi tethering (in Settings it's called Internet Sharing), it works great, and on a shared plan it's free.

Yep. Mine arrived today and I saw this as well and was coming back to repost. I had asked a Verizon rep if the 8x was able to act as a portable hotspot and was told no. Again, I didn't think it sounded right but I didn't know for certain since I had handled one yet.

Also, it looks like the security system app I was hoping for is actually available in the Windows App Store.

Koekjes

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I miss exactly two apps, my train app, but I found a reasonable alternative for now and my bank app (damn bank does not take Windows Phone serious yet). That's it for me. All the other apps I could find or replace. As far as the OS goes, I don't miss much, few bugs at times, but me thinks they will be solved soon enough.

abu5217

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Just got my phone a couple days ago after 2 years with a DroidX (horrible phone). I miss the following:
- Music player does not display the Now Playing list? Really? (Unless I am too much of a noob and have not figured it out)

Ok, I AM a noob. In order to view the full Now Playing list, you must click the song title UNDER the album art in the player. Before clicking, it will show the song that is playing and the next two, once you click you get the full list.

rantanplan1980

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
JJ

In IE, click on menu, tabs, close the tab, hit back.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster