Can I return or exchange my phone to ATT past 14 days?

Shap2012

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
For exchange OR full refund due to defects?

Contacted Nokia about several issues (dust accumulating in front camera, chassis lose, battery issue, etc) and they want me to mail the phone in for 7-10 days while they evaluate it. No spare or replacement prior, just me without a phone.

That is unacceptable IMO and I'm not going without a phone that long unless I truly have no other options.

front camera dust.JPG

sabotagebx

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
For exchange OR full refund due to defects?

Contacted Nokia about several issues (dust accumulating in front camera, chassis lose, battery issue, etc) and they want me to mail the phone in for 7-10 days while they evaluate it. No spare or replacement prior, just me without a phone.

That is unacceptable IMO and I'm not going without a phone that long unless I truly have no other options.

depends, if you are really good at arguing then yeah it will not be a problem. I got them to extend my remorse period by 2 weeks over that charger debacle. However I did this before the 14 days were up

Shap2012

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
depends, if you are really good at arguing then yeah it will not be a problem. I got them to extend my remorse period by 2 weeks over that charger debacle. However I did this before the 14 days were up

Does that mean they gave you a month to return if not satisfied?

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
The new policy is 14 days. If you are calm and level-headed you could probably be granted a one-time exception as a courtesy from Customer Service to assist you with the phone issue. Keep in mind you will likely be responsible for any restocking fees in addition to the cost difference between the phone you return and the one you ultimately decide to go with. I successfully negotiated my way out of an HTC One X for a Lumia 900 so it is very possible. Your mileage will vary though. Above all else, keep calm and remember who you are talking to. Would you risk your job to let someone return their phone outside of the company policy?

sabotagebx

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Does that mean they gave you a month to return if not satisfied?

yes it does. my charger arrives friday, they originally gave me until the 30th to return it because I had no received my charger. I went in again and asked for an additional week as the charger was arriving on my very last day. I think he would rather not deal with me as I called him on all of his BS last time I was in the store so he just gave me an additional week.

Shap2012

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
The new policy is 14 days. If you are calm and level-headed you could probably be granted a one-time exception as a courtesy from Customer Service to assist you with the phone issue. Keep in mind you will likely be responsible for any restocking fees in addition to the cost difference between the phone you return and the one you ultimately decide to go with. I successfully negotiated my way out of an HTC One X for a Lumia 900 so it is very possible. Your mileage will vary though. Above all else, keep calm and remember who you are talking to. Would you risk your job to let someone return their phone outside of the company policy?

thanks. I may attempt it this afternoon.

blackfire

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
This is what I did for my Lumia 900 past the 30 days (back then exchange policy was 30 days):

I had a reboot issue on my 900 past the 30 days, but since ATT serviced the warranty for the Lumia 900, I ended up going to a Device Support Center and they replaced the phone right there. It would be good to know if AT&T still servicing the warranty for the new Nokia phones. I hope this works for you too. Good luck!

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Just call AT&T and say that the phone is defective and that you contacted Nokia and they said to return it because its a defect. Chances are, you will be granted a return/exchange just because you are a "valued customer".

I managed to get $100 back from AT&T because they were charging me for insurance over the course of 7 months. Their policy states that they can only go 3 months back for bill refunds, but if you ask nicely they will make an exception.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, AT&T has some pretty strict policies but if you're not a douche they'll make exceptions pretty easily. AT&T has taken their lumps for poor customer service and I think they realize they can't have that rep following them around. Not when you've got providers like MetroPCS and StraightTalk who give unlimited EVERYTHING for like $40/month. :D

Shap2012

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, AT&T has some pretty strict policies but if you're not a douche they'll make exceptions pretty easily. AT&T has taken their lumps for poor customer service and I think they realize they can't have that rep following them around. Not when you've got providers like MetroPCS and StraightTalk who give unlimited EVERYTHING for like $40/month. :D

would you suggest calling them or going to the store?

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
would you suggest calling them or going to the store?

If you've got a good local store, I'd go there. I've got an... effing GREAT store near me. But I've heard it's a crapshoot and some AT&T stores are awful. At a store, though, if your rep is unwilling to flex and you're not being a douche, you can nicely ask to speak to a manager who might be able to do more for you.

I suppose you could do the same on the phone, but I'm just more of a fan of face-to-face communications. :)

(As I rattle this off on an internet forum, heh.)

samuch

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I'm really missing T-Mobile support.

So I'm getting the dust under the front camera and while on calls the screen randomly does the face detection so it goes black, then back on, then black while I'm holding it in front of me. All of this started one week ago.

I go to the ATT store which I called and said I could take it in and Exchange and the rep tells me it's past 14 days....even though I called and confirmed they'd swap. I call in and they tell me the dust is considered "damage" and that I've voided the warranty. I couldn't help but laugh and tell them that was the craziest thing I heard all day. I couldn't get dust under that camera if I tried. I'm on hold now while they're calling Nokia to see if Nokia will verify this is a known issue. If not, the brand new phone is considered "damaged".

Furthermore, I talked to Nokia yesterday and they told me to return it to the store for Exchange.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Escalation is your best friend. :)

Just be nice and cool and ask to speak to the rep's manager. Then go to his manager and so on and so forth.

Shap2012

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
well i managed to work some magic over the phone. First off, she said I had 30 days to return in store. I believed she was wrong and asked if she could then just note my account that we'd spoken and I was replacing the device. She asked what was wrong then offered to go ahead and try to process the order herself. Turns out she could. I'm over 14 days. New phone should be here Friday :)

Crossing fingers this new phone is from a different batch than the launch batch.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Probably not, all you can do is get a warranty exchange if it is defective. If you just want to return your phone cuz you dont like it, dont think you can.

samuch

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I hear ya. I talked to support who said it shouldn't be an issue and passed me to the warranty department. The warranty rep had to talk to her supervisor who claimed it was a damage issue. They then just finished with Nokia who told them it wasn't a known issue and therefore it's considered damage so they won't replace it. Wow. 2.5 weeks and the best they can do is claim it's damaged. Speechless. Don't know what to do.

Escalation is your best friend. :)

Just be nice and cool and ask to speak to the rep's manager. Then go to his manager and so on and so forth.

Shap2012

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I'm really missing T-Mobile support.

So I'm getting the dust under the front camera and while on calls the screen randomly does the face detection so it goes black, then back on, then black while I'm holding it in front of me. All of this started one week ago.

I go to the ATT store which I called and said I could take it in and Exchange and the rep tells me it's past 14 days....even though I called and confirmed they'd swap. I call in and they tell me the dust is considered "damage" and that I've voided the warranty. I couldn't help but laugh and tell them that was the craziest thing I heard all day. I couldn't get dust under that camera if I tried. I'm on hold now while they're calling Nokia to see if Nokia will verify this is a known issue. If not, the brand new phone is considered "damaged".

Furthermore, I talked to Nokia yesterday and they told me to return it to the store for Exchange.

Tell them the device is defective, per nokia and that nokia told you to return it to ATT. That's what I did. If that doesn't work, call back and get a new customer service rep.

Tell them your battery is draining like crazy then if they think you forced dust under the screen somehow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss