Group text help!

dinosaur143

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I just switched from Iphone4 to Lumia 920 and love the phone.
BUT, am I the only one not able to get group messages from all my iphone friends??? Is this a bug or everyone has the issue? I can send a group message to my friends, they see it, and respond, but I don't get the responses at all. Not in a group thread or individually. They however can continue chatting in that group text, but I don't see or get their responses whatsoever. This happens whether I start the message or they do. I figured at least I would get a bunch of individual one-on-one sms messages, which I can live with, but instead I have no idea what they are saying.
Not very fun. :(
Help me understand. (Yes I have group message turned on)

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Are they using iMessage with one another? Because, well, that's gonna stay there. As it is an iOS messaging system.

I share a group text with 2 friends who are iPhone 4S and 5 users, and we've never had an issue. Not once.

Just make sure you have, of course, all their phone numbers entered in correctly, and you're sending it to those numbers and not some email address.

Again, never had any issues here. And that's going back to my Samsung Focus with Windows Phone 7.

dinosaur143

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Loiselle, Yeah they have iMessage turned on. Is the only way to get group messages with them is to have them turn off their iMessage?

I'm even more confused now. I get responses from one iPhone user, she has iMessage turned ON as well, and I am able to receive a group message from her. But with everyone else it doesn't work.

kevincastle

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have this same exact issue.

I spent 4 hours with At&T support today trying to resolve this issue.

Nobody can figure out why this issue is happening. They elevated an incident to another tech support level. They are going to call me to diagnose.

I had switched from Verizon HTC 8x because it didnt support group messaging (as this was discussed elsewhere in the forums) and now im having the same issue with the nokia 920.

Its actually worse with the nokia because all of my friends are frustrated that im sending messages and not responding to them - it took me about 3 weeks to even realize that people were trying to get in touch with me.

Im hoping that the next round of tech support will be able to help

If this ends up being a WP8 issue then im pretty much done with it for good. we had WP7 phones, never had issues, now this is actually worse than our exp before.

NinjaPenguin777

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I get group texts from people that are only using iPhones. Sometimes it stays in the group. Sometimes it comes individually.

Maybe you'll just have to use Whatsapp

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I can tell you the exact answer as this drove my wife batty.

You need to use an iPhone to turn OFF iMessages before Group Texting will work on any phone other than an iPhone.

Sadly Apple links your telephone number to an iMessage contact. Single messages work but are a little delayed - the iPhone switches to texts when an iMessage cannot be delivered. Group texts just don't work and your friends messages will not get to you.

Put your SIM in a friends phone/your old phone if you still have it. Go into settings and turn off iMessage.

Then after a while (we found if you rebooted friends phones it went faster), everything will work as expected.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99