HTC 8X dilemma should or shouldn't I

commander jao

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So far in the battle between 8X and the lumia 920 (in my head), the 8X winning just.
The two main issues are issues with apps not working with the resolution, the black bar and all, also the Nokia exclusive issue.
The reason I prefer the 8X is the screen size, the look of it and the beats audio addition (the pair of amps). But the screen size is in part negated by the height and the fact that the lock button is on the top which is impractical. But the 8x is cheaper than lumia 920 and available currently, where as I have to wait a fortnight for the 920 to even be available.
So given that in Australia the 8X is significantly cheaper than the 920 (read $200) is it worthwhile getting It given the cheapness or should I attempt to splurge and wait for the 920?
Thank you in advance.
Regards

GreekboyD

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
So far in the battle between 8X and the lumia 920 (in my head), the 8X winning just.
The two main issues are issues with apps not working with the resolution, the black bar and all, also the Nokia exclusive issue.
The reason I prefer the 8X is the screen size, the look of it and the beats audio addition (the pair of amps). But the screen size is in part negated by the height and the fact that the lock button is on the top which is impractical. But the 8x is cheaper than lumia 920 and available currently, where as I have to wait a fortnight for the 920 to even be available.
So given that in Australia the 8X is significantly cheaper than the 920 (read $200) is it worthwhile getting It given the cheapness or should I attempt to splurge and wait for the 920?
Thank you in advance.
Regards

Are you buying either phone outright or will you be tied to a carrier?

mach1man

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I like My 8x but I really wanted a yellow phone which verizon in the US failed on :( so if I did have the option I would get a yellow lumia LOL.
But back to your question.... I dont see anything wrong with the lock button on the top I've gotten use to it, and if you put a case on it, it makes it easier to lock and unlock. $200 would def help me decide on what to go with too. The camera is great on the 8x by the way.

commander jao

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Are you buying either phone outright or will you be tied to a carrier?
So realise too late that more info is needed;
If the 8X is bought right now it would be bought outright, but could be bought on contract later on. The lumia could be both outright or on contract, I think it comes they come to about the same all up following either path. but both are delayed, believe.
Currently platform and carrier (contract come to an end(I think)) agnostic, so shopping around.

commander jao

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I like My 8x but I really wanted a yellow phone which verizon in the US failed on :( so if I did have the option I would get a yellow lumia LOL.
But back to your question.... I dont see anything wrong with the lock button on the top I've gotten use to it, and if you put a case on it, it makes it easier to lock and unlock. $200 would def help me decide on what to go with too. The camera is great on the 8x by the way.
Yeah I was set on the Yellow when I first saw it, but can't find it only Blue (eew) or black so black it is.
Glad to hear the lock button isn't that big an issue, I really do wish they put it on the side like a sensible person would have.
Yeah more worried about the Nokia apps as opposed to the camera. And how the screen resolution effects old apps as well which is the more concerning part.

Last edited:

commander jao

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
final actual numbers
8X comes to $1000 without P&H but with plan (outright+plan)
Lumia at $1200 (on contract) which apparently comes out on Monday so the lateness no longer comes into it

pieman666

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I had an 8X for a couple of weeks and it was a great phone, I returned mine because of an issue with xbox live over 3G where I couldn't update apps/ download new ones (under the 20Mb limit) without that problem I would of been very happy to keep the phone. Which ever you do go for, get a screen protector and possibly a case. Try and use them in the shop, put them in the pocket you normally keep your phone to see the they fit etc.

ImAdrian23

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The black bar isn't so bad actually :). The fact that it splits (bottom + top) it's great actually. I barely notice it while playing, but yeah it would be nice if it would be gone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo