Losing data connectivity when traveling

rdlm

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
In the past week, I've lost all access to the data network twice -- and only been able to recover it through power cycling my 8x.

In the first incident, I was driving about 150 miles. Data worked fine before the drive, but was dead when I arrived. A power cycle resolved it.

In the second incident I was on a plane and in airplane mode during flight. Upon landing and toggling airplane mode off, I couldn't access the data network. Again, a power cycle resolved it. Yes, I realize I should have powered off before landing, but let's not take this thread "there".:straight:

I've only had the phone 2 weeks, but I've had no connectivity issues other than while traveling. Has anyone experienced isses like this (while roaming, or ...)?
My first thought was to update my PRL, but I guess that *228 doesn't apply to 4G phones.

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
That happened to me earlier tonight. It is the first time I lost data connectivity in the two weeks I've had the phone.
As you said, power cycling it solved it but it was weird. I as at home and went to buy dinner when I saw that I didn't have data even the 3G signal was at 3of5 bars.

sportrckr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've had a similar experience, I picked up the phone this weekend and drove home (over 150 miles) and the data connection was gone when I got there. Full bars and everything was shown and I could get phone calls and texts just no data. Did a power cycle and has been working fine since then. I'm going to be traveling again this weekend, so I'll test it again to see how it works.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I had the same experience! With my first 8X phone used it to go to work and I know where I pass I get like a dead zone for 2 or 3 seconds but the data connection/GPS didn't work anymore for the rest of the trip which is a good 30 min drive but at the same time I was listening to streaming music and that was still working. I had to reboot the phone and start again. I did some tests again the next days and it failed again. Then I exchanged my phone with a new 8X because I thought that maybe I had a GPS hardware glitch or something. Now I tested my new phone this morning and it worked ok the all time. I will try again tonight since I'm taking a longer route to go home. I will post back at the latest tomorrow morning.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi! I did some more testing and last night one time that all apps including the built-in maps couldn't locate me. Then All was good until this morning....Again I was in the bus and all apps lost my location about 4 times. I tried to put the location off, then on again made sure that all GPS apps were close and re-open them and still couldn't locate me. When I arrived at work that then it work ok.

I live in a city in Canada and my previous phone was the HTC HD7 with WP7.5 and I never had that problem.

Now I want to find the answer to that problem.
- It's either a hardware issue on the HTC 8X (This is my second since I exchange my first one and thought that it could of been the first phone)
- Or it could be an OS issue (either when changing application and going back it has a hard time locating again while moving)...Hopefully that is the case and HOPEFULLY a fix could resolve that.

Please post back if you have similar problem with the HTC 8X GPS location based. Because I will write an email to WPCentral to ask them to write an article to know if a lot of people do have that problem and if it's only with this phone or also with the others WP8 phones.

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I can't speak to the 8x, I have the 920. I think this is something specific with your device. I used my 920 for about 600mi of driving last week over the holiday here and was very impressed with Nokia Drive and its abilities even in low or no signal areas in northern WI. GPS signal acquisition and routing were extremely quick throughout the long trip. This also goes for trips on the train here in Chicago. I'm more than pleased with the GPS in the 920, coming from a Samsung Focus and Moto Atrix.

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Just a thought do you guys have your phones set up to allow data roaming. I think I might have had this issue with my Focus when I first got it.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Just a thought do you guys have your phones set up to allow data roaming. I think I might have had this issue with my Focus when I first got it.

Just checked and my phone was setup as don't roam. Just changed it and I will test it again tonight and this weekend. If it's only that....I would be glad!!!!!

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I can't speak to the 8x, I have the 920. I think this is something specific with your device. I used my 920 for about 600mi of driving last week over the holiday here and was very impressed with Nokia Drive and its abilities even in low or no signal areas in northern WI. GPS signal acquisition and routing were extremely quick throughout the long trip. This also goes for trips on the train here in Chicago. I'm more than pleased with the GPS in the 920, coming from a Samsung Focus and Moto Atrix.

Thanks for your reply!!!! Really appreciated!

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm headed upto Green Bay and I pass through a lot of questionable signal areas...I'll keep a closer eye on mine and give you guys an update. Glad I could help....maybe...

rdlm

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Just checked and my phone was setup as don't roam. Just changed it and I will test it again tonight and this weekend. If it's only that....I would be glad!!!!!

My phone was also set to "don't roam", which must be the default. As I understand it, this is a "bad thing" since data roaming in the US (extended network) is free. I guess it protects against massive international charges though, so beware (if this is wrong, please correct me!).

It's possible there is a bug with the roaming setting, but I don't think this is related to the issue of losing data services. I was back at my house after driving 150 miles when I discovered it wasn't working -- not roaming. Plus, a power-cycle fixed it -- not a location change.

But the problem is definitely intermittent. I drove 150 miles each way, and had the problem one direction. I've also taken two flights, and had it fail when exiting Airplane mode on one flight, but not the other.

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
My phone was also set to "don't roam", which must be the default. As I understand it, this is a "bad thing" since data roaming in the US (extended network) is free. I guess it protects against massive international charges though, so beware (if this is wrong, please correct me!).

It's possible there is a bug with the roaming setting, but I don't think this is related to the issue of losing data services. I was back at my house after driving 150 miles when I discovered it wasn't working -- not roaming. Plus, a power-cycle fixed it -- not a location change.

But the problem is definitely intermittent. I drove 150 miles each way, and had the problem one direction. I've also taken two flights, and had it fail when exiting Airplane mode on one flight, but not the other.

The first time I was up north I had all kind if crazy issues. I Deleted Skype and Words with friends and then it cleared up. On the trip this weekend I used Garmin which uses cloud data constantly and had no issues what so ever, so long as I at least had a little bit of signal.

rdlm

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Another likely related issue: Tonight, I was about 30 miles from home for a few hours. Data coverage was going from 3G to None, depending on where I was in the house I was visiting. I returned to my own house -- where I have very good LTE coverge -- but noticed I was only getting 3G. I switched the phone into Airplane mode and back out, and LTE coverage resumed.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
ive lost mine too but I didn't go anywhere and I had 3-4 out of 5 bars....I could not use any data or make a call...I just waited till I could...I didn't reset..
I think its because the signal bar could be misrepresenting the information; showing that we have a signal when we actually don't....

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Just an update from my trip through questionable data land....everything went fine. A few times I noticed my signal meter had no designation (edge, 3G, 4G, LTE) I'm assuming that meant I was roaming. When this would happen data did work but was very slow. Sorry didn't get a speed test as I was driving but seemed everything worked great on this trip.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Just an update from my trip through questionable data land....everything went fine. A few times I noticed my signal meter had no designation (edge, 3G, 4G, LTE) I'm assuming that meant I was roaming. When this would happen data did work but was very slow. Sorry didn't get a speed test as I was driving but seemed everything worked great on this trip.

You can see if your phone is roaming by going to Settings>Cellular. If roaming, it will saying "Roaming Service". I have had the same problem as all of you, only it is at my house and my school about 15 minutes away. Yet I'm pretty sure I was able to make calls while roaming, or maybe my phone connected right before calling. I was considering getting a new device to see if it was a hardware problem or a software one, but now I know that my problem is not just unique to my 8X (on Verizon). Using "Connection Setup", rebooting, and switching network modes seemed to work for me. Although I still temporarily get it, it is far less frequent.

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Just remember there is such a thing as dead zones. Areas with no signal what so ever. As far as dealing with that the Lumia seems to find signal quicker and pick up weak signal better. There are a few bars that I frequent in northern WI I'm used to having no signal whatsoever in these places. With the 920 I will receive and even have the ability to send txt messages from time to time. The only thing I've seen with better radio ability in a long time would be maybe a Blackberry or crazy old StarTac LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte