Another cracked screen

anon(5327207)

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Sadly My Sons 920 screen was cracked today... Unit was in his pocket and he was hit with a basketball during PE. He was even on the bench waiting his turn to play.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I know it's not cheap but, it's worth the $5.99 a month for insurance. Replacing one of these off contract is about $550 at full retail (at least from Verizon) and if your stuck in a 2 year contract, the piece of mind is worth the money not to deal with it, if "it" happens.

Nico_J1

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I am so upset, I got my 8x 2 weeks ago and it's smashed already. I was sitting down and it fell out of my pocket (so from waist height when sitting on a chair). It hit on the corner and I think that's why it shattered in the way it did.

I am so angry because it smashed into small fragments. It was face down and when I went to pick it up the glass bits were falling crumbling out of it, before I knew it had smashed I cut my finger open on the crumbling screen. Not happy, I know all phones are gonna smash if you hit them a certain way but this really wasn't a big drop at all. I've had phones since they became popular to carry around and never had a single one smash or even a significant scratch. Perhaps I was lucky in the past!

The case I'd bought was delayed in delivery (place I got my phone from didn't sell cases for it) and arrived.... the very next day after it broke! lol

Last edited:

chomsky11

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting a Ballistic case just for work, as I have a physical job and carry the phone in a front pocket...you never know. When I'm out of work It'll go naked.

Leslielbk

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I broke mine by putting it in my back pocket and sitting on it. I, and my phone, are crushed. So while the encouragement to get a case is great, the damage is already done on mine. Where can I get it fixed? HTC actually wants me to send it to them, and will fix it for $250. I paid a penny for the phone - a AT&T promotion since I had an upgrade. Which I just used, and now have to wait 2 years...the new phone would be, what - $450? Something like that? This is killing me. My iPhones were a lot tougher than this, but I love this phone. HELP!!!!!

TheAvro

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Thought I'd post my experience, my 8X fell off a chair from about 1-1.5ft. I picked the phone up and realised the whole screen was completely shattered so after reading that the screen replacement was quite tricky I decided to just get it done properly by HTC, I sent it in and the quote they sent me to fix it made my jaw drop, ?188. I can buy a new phone for not much more than that so I'm going to have to pay ?26 to get my phone back from HTC and attempt a repair myself.

Sheikmans

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
The screen of my HTC 8X is shattered for the second time in 3 months. Yes I 'm handling this device with care, but I call this bad luck. I bought my first mobile phone in 1996. My 8X is my very first phone with 2 cracked screens. This phone is making me crazy right now, I'm very frustrated about the lack of build quality. The first drop was in March on the streets in Hongkong. The drop was about 40 cm, the screen was completely dead. When I came home (The Netherlands) I decided to repair the device. Price was 200,- (Euros!!). Yesterday I dropped my phone from my desk on a wooden floor. Again, completely shattered but still working. I like WP8, but this phone is a complete disaster. The repairshop told me back in March that it was the most difficult phone to repair and that they are doing good business thanks to HTC. Nuff said...I hope the Lumia 925 has better build quality, I just love WP.

Leslielbk

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
This is my update to this very sad thread. I took it, upon my AT&T store's recommendation, to a "we fix phones" shop near to them. $140 for the repair. I'm still waiting for the parts to come in, and I'll report back how it went. I checked out youtube - there are some very scary full-length instructional videos - no *"* they're the most difficult to repair, Sheikmans. I hope they can pull this off. I LOVE my phone, but I'm screwed unless I want to pay full price - I used my upgrade on a one penny phone, broke it, and..well...here we are. I'm looking at cases right now - they don't seem to have one that retains the sleek lines. Back to bulky. What the hell's the point of a sleek phone????

Leslielbk

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
If you haven't gone ahead already, youtube this repair. There are a couple to watch - it looks like brain surgery. Good luck, and write back with how it went or what you ended up doing.
Thought I'd post my experience, my 8X fell off a chair from about 1-1.5ft. I picked the phone up and realised the whole screen was completely shattered so after reading that the screen replacement was quite tricky I decided to just get it done properly by HTC, I sent it in and the quote they sent me to fix it made my jaw drop, ?188. I can buy a new phone for not much more than that so I'm going to have to pay ?26 to get my phone back from HTC and attempt a repair myself.

Leslielbk

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Update: I was able to get a replacement phone from AT&T via their service department, after I answered a few questions about symptoms the phone has. There had been a few complaints about the fragility of the phone, so they sent me a new one. How about that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99