Invalid SIM error on 8X

bobo1510

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I had this same issue and my brother as well. He returned his phone for the Nokia 822. I tried the "SIM Shim" method while waiting for the supposed future update.

1.) Pop out your SIM tray.
2.) Take your SIM card out of the tray.
3.) Place 2-4 pieces of clear tape (Scotch brand or similar) on the back of the SIM card.
4.) Cut the excess tape from around the edges of the SIM card, and put the card back in the tray.
5.) Then put the SIM tray back in the phone. ( Mine pushed in very firmly. Not sure I'll be able to get it back out.)

Haven't had a reset or "SIM Card Missing Error" in over a week. YMMV.

Also, attempt at your own risk! Be carefull not to break your SIM tray.

Matt Levan

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone here had their phone replaced and then experienced the Invalid SIM error again? I'm having the issue on my black Verizon 8X as well as the intermittent and random shut-offs, so I'm deciding whether or not I should exchange the phone or just wait for the firmware update headed our way within the next couple of weeks.

SRRAE

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
8x SIM error but only after updates

My 8X had the reboot problem and would reboot anything from a couple of times a day to going a few days without rebooting.

But I never got the SIM card error.

Since the update, no reboots (Nice) but getting sim card error anything from 2-6 times a day.
Has any one else started getting the SIM error after the updates?

wtf808

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
This 1st happened to me with my wife's 8x.. took it to VZ.. they didn't want to replace phone, although their internal KB said to do so. So they replaced the SIM instead and said to see how it goes. Well it just happened again. They also suggested changing the mode from Global to CMDA/LTE... that didn't help.

A day later, my 8x started doing the same. CRAP!

Now what. I'm going to bring it in for replacement. The really crappy part.. VZ will get you a certified refurb phone.. that's irritating considering I had a brand new phone 3 weeks ago.

Anyone know what the cause it? There seems to be no real fix... popping out/in SIM doesn't fix it for long.. rebooting the phone doesn't fix it for long... Thing is, the phone was fine all this time until just recently.. is this a hardware or software problem? How many of you do wireless charging, could that be zapping the internals or SIM?

No updates have come to the phones yet, so I cant blame that...

wtf808

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
So I called VZ again as the new SIM didn't make any difference.. and naturally they were helpless. They told me to contact HTC. There was nothing they can do for me but replace it with a refurb.

I get it, its not VZ's fault.. but you would think they could give a better response than, go call the mfgr yourself. I mean come on, don't you guys test these phones with the mfgrs to ensure they are as solid as possible before you start selling them? Oh well... we expect too much I suppose. So let's see what the refurb phone does once it arrives.

I also hit up HTC's support page (HTC Smartphones and Tablets - Support for HTC Cell Phones and Tablets) and sent them the link to this page and the problems we're having. I suggest you folks do the same.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
vzw twitter support and winpgonesupport both advised me to pull sim and reseat. i did that last tuesday and havent had a problem since.

migespy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone here had their phone replaced and then experienced the Invalid SIM error again? I'm having the issue on my black Verizon 8X as well as the intermittent and random shut-offs, so I'm deciding whether or not I should exchange the phone or just wait for the firmware update headed our way within the next couple of weeks.

I just got my replacement. Its been a week with no issue. My original was having the issue twice a day on average. So far the replacement has been a good fix

laity78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I was having the same problem an was having the sim card error about 3x a day. What I found that worked for me is if u change your setting from global to LTE and CDMA or vise versa u need the turn the power off take out the SIM an then put it back in. Like I said it was happening to me like 3x a day an so far since I did that it hasn't happened for 2 days. Now keep in mind if u ever change that setting again u have to do the same thing

laity78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I posted this also on another thread but when u changed your network like from global to LTE and CDMA or vise versa u have to power off take the sim out an put it back in. I was getting sim card errors like 3x a day an since I have done this its been 2 days since I have had an error. An remember if u ever change that network setting again do the same thing

wtf808

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I posted this also on another thread but when u changed your network like from global to LTE and CDMA or vise versa u have to power off take the sim out an put it back in. I was getting sim card errors like 3x a day an since I have done this its been 2 days since I have had an error. An remember if u ever change that network setting again do the same thing

Yea, VZ asked me to do the same.. the ERROR came back regardless.. on 2 different phones. :(

lmatt05

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I had this same issue and my brother as well. He returned his phone for the Nokia 822. I tried the "SIM Shim" method while waiting for the supposed future update.

1.) Pop out your SIM tray.
2.) Take your SIM card out of the tray.
3.) Place 2-4 pieces of clear tape (Scotch brand or similar) on the back of the SIM card.
4.) Cut the excess tape from around the edges of the SIM card, and put the card back in the tray.
5.) Then put the SIM tray back in the phone. ( Mine pushed in very firmly. Not sure I'll be able to get it back out.)

Haven't had a reset or "SIM Card Missing Error" in over a week. YMMV.

Also, attempt at your own risk! Be carefull not to break your SIM tray.

I got another sim card and it was good for one day. Then i get the error multiple times throughout the day.

I really thought it was a software glitch but I tried the suggestion of putting the tape on the sim card tray to hold it in and it's been a day without the error. Has anyone else tried this with success? I'm hoping this fixes it.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I was also advised to toggle the Cellular setting for ROAM, DONT ROAM. I left it in ROAM and havent had the SIM error in days. (After the toggle and roam change).

yihyangh

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I never meet this issue yet, Is your sim been cut yourself? Or been provide by carrier?
Hi all,

I just turned Airplane Mode off on my phone and got an invalid SIM error (I don't recall the exact error, but suffice to say it wouldn't connect to the cell network). A reboot fixed it, although it showed the "No SIM" icon briefly upon starting up. Not sure if that's normal or not. Now it's working normally.

Has this issue happened to anyone else? Today's my last day to exchange the phone, so I'm going back and forth on it. Thanks in advance!

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
well, i had the luxury of being awoken early today by my kids and plugged my 8x in to charge ( it was off). with in 2 min i got the invalid Sim error again. its been a week or so since last. i totally have no idea what causes this.

WP8VZNUser

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I could press on my phone where the sim card is and cause this to happen -- now trying the fix with tape and it seems to work so far. The sim error would happen every time I banged my phone or just sitting in my truck the vibration would cause it. Put the tape on the back and banged, pressed on sim and even dropped -- no sim error. Crossing fingers...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo