Invalid SIM error on 8X

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
for a few days I got this every 10 min. really making me mad having to restart my phone every time I wanted to send a text! after I took it out and blew on it, it happens much less. maybe once a day.

Mikhail Slutskiy

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I have had this problem recently with my 8X from T-mobile. I usually just restart the phone and that fixes it, happens at random. I think this is a software thing as well because my phone juts used to restart at random, after the first update then, this started happening. I think we just have to hope HTC and our carriers can work out what the problem is. I am way past my return date so i just have to hope for the best.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
My post above was from Christmas about the last SIM error I got. I haven't had one since xmas and I did the scotch tape trick.

I pulled the SIM tray and got a small piece of scotch tape and put over the back of the sim and securing the card to the tray. First piece was the size of the sim card and no wider/longer than the tray itself. I had a small piece left over and doubled it over the center of the SIM card. It was VERY snug fit pushing back into the phone.

I have not had a SIM error since doing this. So I don't think its a software issue. I think its HW. IMO the sim is getting jarred from just normal use. Setting the device down on a table, the rumble tumble in a purse/pocket... etc.

Sgtakase

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
have had this error. not entirely sure what was the issue but just replaced the sim at verizon and it's been fine since. rather have them swap the sim for free than bother swapping the phone and having to reload everything

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I truly believe it's some kind of defect in HTC's manufacturing process of Windows Phones. Do a Google or Bing search ("htc invalid sim error" or whatever) and scrolling through the results, it seems every single HTC Windows Phone that has ever been made has this issue.

Methods used, such as tape, to hold down sim cards can only last so long. How to make HTC aware that this is a major problem?

ckindel

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
My son & I both got 8Xs via VZW in November. In mid-December his started exhibiting the "SIM Error" problem.

At the VZW store the guy, without skipping a beat, said "known issue with HTC. Here, I'll have them send you a new one. Replacing the SIM won't help; it appears to be a hardware problem that HTC is aware of."

The next day FedEx delivered a new 8X.

A week later this 2nd 8X started exhibiting the problem. I just got back from the VZW store and another 8X is on it's way to us.

My 8X has not had this problem at all (yet).

Microsoft is aware of this issue, but it does not seem to be super high priority. You might want to help make them more aware. If you have this issue go to this Microsoft Answer's page and up-vote it:

8x Verizon 4G Sim card failure - Microsoft Community

thetroublewith

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Just to update again - having applied a single layer of tape to the back of my SIM card to bulk it up slightly, I've not had a single error since (had previously been getting it at least once a day).

If you're having this problem, I'd recommend trying this - it sounds like the SIM tray isn't quite snug enough in some models.

MaRkThE40KiLLeR

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a 8X on TMO. I've had the phone since the first day it came out and the problem just started today! As I said in a previous post, this will be my last HTC phone. I haven't had any problems with my previous HTC phone, but between this, the rebooting issues in the beginning, the four edges fading to black, etc. Not as happy as I could be. I'm so tick'd off at Steven Elop and the lack of the 920 on T-Mobile and Verizon. How well would the GS3 sell if it was just on AT&T?? UPDATE: Just to be safe, I went to T-Mobile, swapped out the SIM and put tape on the back of it. No problems since then. And I still want a Lumia 920!

Last edited:

Sam Velasquez

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
We purchased 5 8x phones for my department. Two of the phones (one is mine) have been having this issue for a little over a month. I tried:

full data reset on both phones
replaced sim card from Verizon twice on one of the phones
tried contacting HTC, said to contact Verizon support
tried contacting Verizon, offered refurb replacement

I just tried the tape on one of the phones to see if that will work. But I noticed that the two phones that were having the issue were both using a particular case that the other 3 were not. This particular case requires that you press a little harder on the power button to wake the phone up. The power button just happens to be on the same corner as the SIM tray. I wonder if the corner of the phone is put under too much pressure because of the case. Anyone else having this problem using a case requiring you press hard on that corner of the phone? Anyone without a case having this problem?

Doug1138

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
"This particular case requires that you press a little harder on the power button to wake the phone up. The power button just happens to be on the same corner as the SIM tray. I wonder if the corner of the phone is put under too much pressure because of the case."

Brilliant observation. I got a case that requires a lot of pressure for volume and power and yesterday I got the sim card issue. I've removed it, we'll see if that fixes the problem.

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I had this issue occur a lot after Portico update on O2 UK. Last week I took out the sim card, wiped it with microfibre cloth, put it back in, and now no issues since (touch wood).

thetroublewith

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Just to repeat - if you're having these problems, put a layer of tape on the back of your SIM card, this worked perfectly for me and I haven't had a single error single I did it.

It doesn't seem to be a problem with SIM cards, rather the SIM tray in the phone sometimes isn't quite snug enough - so getting the SIM replaced isn't likely to help. :)

pam08inal

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: Invalid SIM error on Verizon iPhone 5

i have two iPhone 5's: one for business and one personal whioh I got at about the same time in October 2012. There have been no issues with the business 16 g version, but the personal 32 g one has been showing invalid sim on and off since the beginning. I have a replacement phone after 3 sim replacements and yesterday got an invalid sim with the replacement phone and the 4th sim card. Verizon had me do a soft reset which fixed the issue but thinks that there is a conflict with an app. Anyone have similar issues and a fix?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05