Love my Lumia 920 but

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Im 100% in agreement there.

I told this to Clove in the UK, and they said I should return the device and they would either mark it DOA and ship me a new one or repair it for me.

Im unsure of wether I should send it back for potentially 3 weeks on something that may not be fixable, it could be a problem with the OS itself I guess?

Im not sure what to do either. I haven't called about it yet. It would be helpful, if Nokia or MS would say something about the battery. What should we expect? I dont know what I should legitimately expect from the phone. Like you said, is it an OS issue and something to be expected or something else?

I thought about calling, but wasnt sure what to say. "Hey, if I actually use my phone, the battery life is horrible" Is that legit enough to get a replacement? Is it better that I wait a month or two longer and see if a "fix/improvement" comes out from MS/Nokia or better produced phones come out? I wish they would say something. Tell us what we should expect from our phones or if there may be an issue, tell us you're working on a fix or improvement.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I would like to see a brightness slider rather than just 3 options

I second that. Also, I wish the auto brightness could be adjusted. The dim setting is too dark, wish I could tweak that.

I set mine to medium and it's too bright but the low is a little too low. Something right in between would be perfect. But I still get great overall batter life, but it may be the wireless charger skewing my impression as I tend to set it on that versus the counter when I'm not using it. The wireless charger rocks.

dalsmavsfan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I talked to ATT they offered me the GSIII but I love the Lumia. Probably just try another device. The video and pics are second to none. There is so much to love about the Lumia 920 just wish the battery didn't randomly drain and the device didn't randomly get warm.

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Its location services. At least for me... I do also have NFC disabled... I was getting heating and battery drain .. I would be lucky to get 12-15 hrs ... I tested forine day with location disabled.. After 15 hrs I had 40% left (9 hrs) ..

Its a pain yes but surely will be fixed soon enough.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
This is my experience exactly. When the screen is on the battery goes quickly. When its off it will last for days.

that has to be a faulty battery or something. honestly, i go all day with my screen constantly on while doing things and dont have to recharge throughout the day. too much inconsistency with these batteries in the 920. i cant imagine that all these 920's have bad batteries. i am more inclined to think this is a software issue.

fradchad

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I can't use my phone to look at this site for more than 20 min without losing 15-20% battery :(

Turn off LTE. I am on Straighttalk and can only get "4G" speeds. I have had both iOS and Android in the last 8 months. My battery life is the same on the Lumia 920. I think its either the LTE sucking all your juice or that Nokia Drive + app in the background. Try turning that off too.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
It really doesn't help that we can't have a real battery monitor app. One that can actually record what you use and for how long and even how long screen is on. If MS won't let someone else do it then come out with their own for petes sake

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Turn off LTE. I am on Straighttalk and can only get "4G" speeds. I have had both iOS and Android in the last 8 months. My battery life is the same on the Lumia 920. I think its either the LTE sucking all your juice or that Nokia Drive + app in the background. Try turning that off too.

I have deleted nokia drive and my cellular data is always off unless I need it but then its off right away again as I only have a 200mb plan ;) WiFi is my lifeline lol

MarkTurbo

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I was getting phenomenal battery life, then my 920 started getting hot and my battery life tanked, fast! I shut down my 920 and it rebooted rather than shutdown! I tried another shutdown and it worked normally. After the restart, the problem went away! Phone runs cool and my battery life is phenomenal again. There's clearly a bug here, but the solution, at least for me, is simple; a restart.

1220Ac

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I love the camera (pics and video) on low light and build quality (that I'll have this as secondary phone camera) ... I have the same issues and more:

- Poor battery life
- Constant overheating/warming
- Lack of quality and must-have apps
- Frequent apps glitches and forced shutdown
- Entire system froze on me (hopefully, this never happen again) - have to wait for a awhile for it to go back-up
- Disappointing pics quality on daylight

I decided that my red NL920 will just be my secondary / backup phone camera (not really a smartphone).

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
The battery drain is inconvenient. When I first got the iphone 3G the battery wouldn't last more than 8 hours compared to the first iphone. After an update or two I was getting great battery life. Same thing was happening with most android phones, especially with the early LTE ones. We just need to be patient until Nokia puts out an update.

Ammar Alhebshi

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The battery is just baaaaaaaad. I'm having the same bad experience i had with my 3gs . On standby mode: it will stay for a day or more , but make a call and just browse the app store and the battery will fade away in 2 hours. When I connect it to my car's bluetooth for music, the battery will drain so fast that even if i plugged the phone to the charger the battery will still drain !!! . I had to buy a portable usb charger so I don't have to worry about the battery anymore.

A_Hel

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
At least I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. I get 5 to 6 hours of constant use, everything being off except 3G or wifi for... let's say two hours. Aren't we officially supposed to get 10 hours of consecutive use on 3G? Shame I'm not even getting that while my data connection is off.
Everything is disabled, the screen is set on automatic, no suggestions, any notifications nor push... heck, even the screen sensitivity isn't set on high. That means my L920 can do what my old 3210 was able to do, although it could go through the day without a doubt.

I love the phone but I'm very disappointed by this.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
From overheating to battery drain or just overheating and battery drain? Likely these two are connected and there is nothing wrong with your device that an exchange will fix. Have you turned off tap-to-share? It's likely just one app you have that's causing the issue. I understand that this is an unacceptable situation, but you can either try to find the cause or keep trying to send it back. I know I haven't had any battery issues, but the phone does seem to get hot when I am running certain apps, mostly music .... I think they will deliver a fix.

Bottom line, I don't think a return will help your issues.

Frankly speaking, I think, we need to get used to the phone heating from time to time. Not just Lumia, but other phones too, unless they heat up all the time.
For example: I have iphone 4S, it also heats up in certain apps or certain processor intensive tasks like turn by turn navigation,etc.
It also heats up on the screen side, if you are talking on phone for a long time.

I don't own Lumia 920, but I think, heating is a common thing for phones nowadays. I may be wrong though.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
All your apps and system freeze related issues are not specific to L920, but WP in general, which will take some time to get fixed. But I am sure, will get fixed.
Disappointing pics in daylight. I am not sure, if they are really disappointing. Personally, I don't think so.

I love the camera (pics and video) on low light and build quality (that I'll have this as secondary phone camera) ... I have the same issues and more:

- Poor battery life
- Constant overheating/warming
- Lack of quality and must-have apps
- Frequent apps glitches and forced shutdown
- Entire system froze on me (hopefully, this never happen again) - have to wait for a awhile for it to go back-up
- Disappointing pics quality on daylight

I decided that my red NL920 will just be my secondary / backup phone camera (not really a smartphone).

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Turn off NFC,
Disable Nokia drive in the background

Got way more battery and the heat problems solved.

My first WP and first post here.
Battery life was my only concern until I researched and found all the "tips". The 2 you posted being the main ones.

I'm stunned by this phone. Amazed by the hardware build quality. And the OS is far more impressive than expected.

By the way, each charge seems to last a bit longer. I'm sure it will plateau soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte