Shattered 920 screen after modest drop. Bummed.

Joseph Noble

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Yours is not a lemon. I dropped my phone from about 1 1/2 ft and the screen shattered. I have since heard that many people are having the same problem. I live in Thailandmwhere the phone costs $700 and there is no insurance and getting service is almost impossible so I would not recommend any of my friends to buy this phone. It also seems that a lot of the folks,replying on this forum are either Nokia employees or Nokia apologists. If they sound too sympathetic to Nokia on this issue, just ask them if the work or consult for Nokia.

gilesjuk

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
If you are the sort of person to drop phones, insure them. Simple as that.

I've never broken a phone screen ever. It may be called Gorilla glass but it's still just glass. Glass is very hard and anything that is hard is also brittle and will shatter.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm really sorry for what happened to your phone. Hope the replacement will arrive soon.
Out of 100 maybe there are 10 that will break/shattered if dropped from a waist height. I guess it might be due to some impurities on the glass. I don't think they are able to produce all Gorilla glass with the same strength. There must be a range. Maybe in this case, it hit perfectly at its weakest point.
Now it makes me think again to put my phone on a case.

vtective

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I think the weight probably has something to do with it. The polycarbonate and gorilla glass are strong, but the heavy internals increase the impact damage. The fact that the phones are slippery to hold (especially the matte ones) means that the phone is not as indestructible as people would lead you to believe.

tonyluo2001

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I dropped mine twice. 1st time from ear height and nothing happened on the screen. 2nd time was from my waist but it was on some SAND/ROCK--->scratch on the glass. sigh...

MacDaMachine

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Yours is not a lemon. I dropped my phone from about 1 1/2 ft and the screen shattered. I have since heard that many people are having the same problem. I live in Thailandmwhere the phone costs $700 and there is no insurance and getting service is almost impossible so I would not recommend any of my friends to buy this phone. It also seems that a lot of the folks,replying on this forum are either Nokia employees or Nokia apologists. If they sound too sympathetic to Nokia on this issue, just ask them if the work or consult for Nokia.
lmfao wow bro. Its called being unlucky. I dropped mine ten feet on concrete. Dented my bottom corners. That's it.

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I've dropped mine twice, on a hard surface, from about 1 feet... No display damage, not even scratches. It all depends on "luck" (which particular area of the phone will hit the hard surface first), and you must always remember that the Gorilla Glass (any kind of it, regardless of the phone brand/model that uses it) is not completely indestructible or scratch-proof. If you're afraid of your phone falling and becoming damaged - just buy an insurance, or a heavy-duty case for it (with a thick border around display area), problem solved. If such case is not yet available - buy a different model of phone for which such case already exists.

kevinrk

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know where to get a new digitizer online?

I dropped my phone today and all the repair shops want to do is replace the entire lcd+glass which is unnecessarily expensive

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to gorilla glass. Pretty strong, unless hit side on. Looks like you got pretty unlucky. Now if you'd tried hitting it face on with a hammer, you'd have been fine.

kevinrk

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to gorilla glass. Pretty strong, unless hit side on. Looks like you got pretty unlucky. Now if you'd tried hitting it face on with a hammer, you'd have been fine.

'Gorilla Glass' must be the biggest scam of 2012-2013

I dropped my Desire HD about a million times and not a scratch on its cheapo standard glass

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
'Gorilla Glass' must be the biggest scam of 2012-2013

I dropped my Desire HD about a million times and not a scratch on its cheapo standard glass

Dude, it's "scratch-resistant", not scratch-proof. And to the OP, sorry about your 920. That sucks. It's simple physics, really. Glass is rigid, and cannot absorb sudden force. All a phone, ANY phone, has to do is fall on a spot where enough of the force is transferred to the screen instead of the casing, and it will shatter like a picture window with a brick through it. This is why, in addition to reception issues, materials like aluminum and other metals are a poor material for a cellphone. They don't flex. They are rigid, like the screen. So there is no absorption of the force of impact. I'm really hoping Nokia figures something out for the alleged aluminum 920 successor. Maybe flexible OLED displays from Samsung!

RyanKennedy

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Slightly off topic here, but does anybody's 920 have dozens of tiny little scratches on the screen? They aren't gashes or anything, but when the phone catches the light just right, they shine for all to see. And if you are wondering, no, I've never dropped my phone. It stays in its own pocket or is on a flat surface 99 per cent of the time.

DROBinhood

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Same experience here. I've babied the phone since I got it. No scratches or anything... Then the very first time it touches the floor, it hits on the corner and the screen shatters.

brianLTE

May 30, 2012
Visit site
If you are like me and think the phones are too sexy to cover in a case, get accidental coverage if it is offered! Always worth it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea