Verizon 8X Maps Directions - "You will need to install an app for this task"

Dakow#WP

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I purchased an 8X a week ago and it is a great upgrade from my HD7. I am having a few weird issues, the most troublesome related to the built in maps application and directions. I can launch maps and search location, see traffic data, see wifi, etc. If I select an address, search for an address and select 'directions from my location' I then receive a pop up notification that says:

Search for app in the Store?
"You need to install an app for this task. Would you like to search for one in the Store?"

If I click yes, it takes me to the VZNavigator Store page. If I launch VZNavigator (aside from being a terrible app) it wants me to pay the added fee to use it.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any way I can enable the built in directions functionality using Bing Maps?

I downloaded gMaps, which works, but I'd much rather use the built in functionality.

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
From what I understand, this functionality is no longer present; you have to use a third party app for navigation. Yes, it is unbelievably stupid that they did this.

Dakow#WP

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Are you serious? Not even basic directions? I follow the WP ecosystem pretty closely and I had no idea that was the case. That's unbelievable, especially considering there are no good mapping applications in the store other than gMaps.

daverath

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone tested VZ Navigator? First month is free and then it's $2/month after. I'm going to start the trial this month and see how I like it. I'll post back on the forum with my impressions and whether or not I chose to add the extra cost.

Dakow#WP

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tested VZ Navigator? First month is free and then it's $2/month after. I'm going to start the trial this month and see how I like it. I'll post back on the forum with my impressions and whether or not I chose to add the extra cost.

I can usually just put in the address (number and street) and Bing Maps is smart enough to route me to the one nearest to me. I selected VZNavigator for the directions once and it sent me to something in Floria (I live in Los Angeles). Judging by the 2 stars on the Store, I think its probably crap.

rkremers

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
My assumption was that this is a mandate by Verizon... ridiculous, and I hate it. I downloaded gmaps, which works, but I liked the mapping/navigation offering with WP7.

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I use the app "Navigation" it's paid but it is only $5 once and it seems to be accurate the times I've used it. It has spoken turn by turn directions but no spoken street names, but you can only expect so much for $5

Klaric

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
This does not happen to me, I just tested it. Using Bing maps, I find a location, tap on it, hit the Arrow icon at the bottom, a window pops open stating Start as "My Location" and End as wherever I'm going. I hit the arrow at the bottom right of the keyboard and it displays the route and turn-by-turn directions.

Klaric

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I love the interface too. If only it had 3D and voice navigation it would be #1 in my book! But without these, it's no different than my iPhone 4 with iOS 6.

Dakow#WP

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This does not happen to me, I just tested it. Using Bing maps, I find a location, tap on it, hit the Arrow icon at the bottom, a window pops open stating Start as "My Location" and End as wherever I'm going. I hit the arrow at the bottom right of the keyboard and it displays the route and turn-by-turn directions.

I just saw a post about this. That works for me as well. If you click on your searched address or POI and get the black screen that shows address, number, etc and click 'directions from my location' that does not work. That screen also does not have 'directions' at the bottom.

From the map, if you have the POI or address highlighted then you can click directions and that works.

Sloppy UI/programming.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Everyone needs to calm down....WP7.5 did have voice navigation natively....Microsoft opted to go with Nokia Drive for Windows Phone 8....The app is currently being tested and will be available shortly.

Dakow#WP

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Part of the issue is that the behavior to get NON navigation directions isn't well thought out/implemented. I initially did not even know that I had the directions options available to me, since clicking 'directions' (not navigation, directions) prompted me to download an application.

And why do I need to calm down? Microsoft released a platform that had less functionality than the platform they released a year ago and less functionality than their two biggest rivals platforms. That's great that they are going with Nokia Drive, I'm sure it is a better experience, but it should have been ready for launch.

jwballing

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Exactly!! I had to take my kid to a party an hour and half away So of course i was shock to learn there is no voice turn by turn. I reverted back to my HD7 because I wasn't gonna stare like a dolt on my 8x. Come on MS did you not see this coming or were you thinking everyone would buy nokia?

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
No. When you search a location in maps, click on the small map, it then goes full screen and shows you the way and where you are. You then just follow the path. There is no voice, but it is basic navigation.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I use VZW Nav, and it is a pretty decent app, and has great directions. The UI could be prettier. But I still use the built in nav in Maps. You have to hit directions at the bottom of the screen, not from the location card.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I use VZW Nav, and it is a pretty decent app, and has great directions. The UI could be prettier. But I still use the built in nav in Maps. You have to hit directions at the bottom of the screen, not from the location card.

Ok but it is not working as in WP7.5 which the map rotated and followed you right?

ojaidave

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Everyone needs to calm down....WP7.5 did have voice navigation natively....Microsoft opted to go with Nokia Drive for Windows Phone 8....The app is currently being tested and will be available shortly.
I'm not sure this is correct. The Nokia Lumia 920 already is using Nokia Drive. I think it may be a rights issue for now, I believe Nokia has exclusive rights to the app for some initial period before releasing it for use on other handsets. I agree with others that it is frustrating that Windows Phone has lost some functionality between releases (don't even get me started on syncing music), but hopefully this is a temporary setback and better things are ahead.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234