Lumia 920 Scrolling lags and Fragmented While Charging Using a Power Inverter in a Vehicle

livejazz

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Don't really know how many people could be affected by this, but I figure it could be part of a new, bigger problem that may affect more people, eventually. So, I get my nice new White Lumia 920 and, of course, I'm in Nokia Heaven. Then we go on a four hour road trip and many times on these trips we will use our ac to dc inverter to run our wall chargers for our devices (for literally a decade).

Halfway to our destination (FSU Prism Concert), I noticed that the scrolling on my Lumia 920 was fragmented and lagging. So, I started disabling services, blocking background apps, turning off radios and uninstalling recently installed apps and none of this helped. Then I hard reset. Still the same, even after repeating all of the disabling. So had to use the Lumia 900 to record portions of the event we attended because when I tried hard resetting, again, I got the lightning bolt of near death and left the 920 in the car. Wife loaded the firmware image back on the phone on the way back home and the same stuff!!!.

So, we got home and when I got out of the car it acted fine! Very weird! So I tweeted NokiaCare and all of us had no clue. One NokiaCare person asked if I had blocked all of the background apps and I answered yes, but I figured they must have had a reason for asking that so I blocked all the background apps, got in the car, plugged the 920 in to the cig lighter USB plug and works fine! So, I apologized profusely to the NokiaCare people and, just to make sure, I drove around a little to make sure it wasn't something to do with movement. This time, when I got in the car, I grabbed a cord that was plugged in to a strip powered by the inverter. OMG! There it was! The same fragmented, lagging scrolling!

Ok, so now I try different brands of ac to USB adapters and all the same. The only thing I haven't tried is a different brand of inverter. But, wow! How bizarre! I hope Nokia and Microsoft are looking because I do believe its worth checking in to in case it's a new technology that could have overlooked having power supplied by an inverter. More and more cars are being produced with built-in inverters and this could interfere, eventually, on a broader basis. Has anybody else experienced this issue? You're welcome, Nokia, for all the research!

anon(5828494)

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
HTC HD7 used to do this all the time so it might be a Windows Phone issue versus a Lumia hardware issue. Whenever I plugged in to charge, my multitouch in IE would be jittery and nearly impossible to use. Scrolling would lag horribly. I really don't know why though, maybe resetting may help?

pillswoj

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Inverters do not supply clean power unless very good ones. keep in mind you are double converting, 13,8 V car up to 120 V and then back to 5 V USB. Just use a proper Car charger

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
here you are:
and it has also a solution he says... noise cancelling usb cable :shocked:

Thanks, but I was talking about seeing OP the 920.

While an inverter is noisy, you still then have the charger and internal regulator to clean that up.

Always have to see it to believe it when a first time poster makes a complaint that sounds a little odd.

livejazz

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I won't be providing a video. I'm not here to start a revolution, rather a contribution. I pointed the right people from Nokia and MS to the blog and that will probably do.

Good to be cautious of a first time poster and thanks for your forum patriotism! My user name (LiveJazz) is the same from many years back on PPCGeeks, PDAPhoneHome, XDADevelopers, DailyMobile (where I'm credited with a published article) and various other tech sites, so I am not after notoriety, credibility, or answers. I apologize for taking so long to answer, but my settings were not set up for notification.

If anyone's truly interested, I will reiterate that the issue only existed with the Lumia 920 and not with an LG Quantum, Lumia 900, or Samsung Focus S. Voltage regulation configuration on this and most of these devices is amazing due to the wide variances in supply,World-wide. only isolated feature could be NFC, as that feature is exclusive on the 920 of those four devices, so my feeling is that there may be something new or different with the 920 than other Windows Phones and this was my attempt to solicit any other occurrences to help Nokia and MS determine any possible cause. Completely wholesome, well researched, and thought out. I promise. I have, since, been in touch with a couple of groups and if anybody happens to run in to the same challenge and mentions it I will pass on any news when I get it. For now, just an anomaly.

Thanks, everybody, for your input.

matt (@LiveJazzer, @PocketWindows, @FloridaATT)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs