My Lumia 920 made me late for work!

UnnDunn

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
This has happened to me several times since I started using the charging plate. It is rather annoying, and it has resulted in me being late for things (fortunately not late for work yet.)

Combined with the Windows Store update notification bug, I find myself wondering whether to return it and get an exchange.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Worries me this. I like the idea of the charging plate, however, I don't like the idea of leaving the thing on charge overnight.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
This is no different then if you went out to start your car and the battery was dead. Would you start a thread on a battery forum saying "My Interstate Battery made me late for work!"??

Things happen, that's just the way it goes. If your phone continues to have issues, replace it. You've learned a lesson and now you know what to put on your Christmas list.

Except we're talking about a Smart Phone and a (dumb) battery. They are nothing alike.

Why shouldn't someone rely on a 21st century device loaded with technology to make our lives easier, more efficient and save energy?

I've been using my phones as alarm clocks since the early 2000's and never had a problem until my first Android phone, Samsung Captivate. It just started shutting itself off at night after the latest update. No device should do that. I resorted to using my old Sony w810i as my alarm clock. It works flawlessly as a stand alone alarm clock and music player and is 7 years old.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Its obvious its the wireless plate bug, your phone is overheating and shutting down. I suggest you use the mains to charge the phone overnight until the big is fixed.

edjr07

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
have you been experiencing any other power shut downs? this issue seems to be OS wide as 8x reports are coming the same way. This cant just be a Nokia thing. I havent used an analog clock in a loong looong time since my first cell phone that had an alarm clock. the random reboots are one thing but full on power off and nothing after that. Big issue.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I've been using the charging stand since Saturday with no issues.

I am a little concerned though....how do you people not have a bare minimum of two alarms set?? I have an old Sony alarm clock I bought when I was in highschool that I use every night. I set it for 10 minutes before I absolutely have to get up. Then I set my phone to 30 minutes before I absolutely have to get up. This way I can snooze twice with the phone if I'm really tired and once with the clock before I know I have to drag my ass outta bed.

All I know is that I haven't been late to work due to an alarm clock failing, or me sleeping through an alarm (hard to do that with two alarms) since like 2002.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to see if it does it again tonight. Leaving it off the charging plate. I noticed the Lumia was really warm after it got to 100%. I'm thinking it was probably overheating. The only other problems that I am having are issues with blue tooth, occasionally the phone will freeze or restart and the issue with the photos blurring.

I noticed that my 920 would get warm after putting it on the charging plate... a little warmer than I'd expect in the beginning. Now it's perfect, including the battery life. It's semi-warm/cool.

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
My opinion, FWIW, is that it has nothing to do with the charging plate. It's related to the problems that a lot of folks are having with some *process* running in the background and hanging the phone. Mine has hung a few times now. Ya, I'm pretty sure I exited all the apps ahead of time and keep most things turned off, but it happened. I don't have a lot of apps, so it has been easy enough to nail down what might have caused it. I'll delete the app and have no further issues. Not very scientific, I know. I'm with another poster, It'll be nice when MS and Nokia get out their updates.

I'm in agreement with another poster that you should be able to rely on today's communication devices as reliable alarms. That functionality has been built in for a longggg time and many people have come to rely on them. Sucks for the OP and others right now that there's a possibility the alarm won't activate because the phone is hung.

The people who are saying you shouldn't be relying on an alarm... What if, like another poster mentioned, you relied on your phone for an important call in the middle of the night. Solution: get a land line? don't think so. Lots of potential issues right now for people that are relying on their 920 to alert them to some incoming bit of needed information (text, voice, alarm, etc).

That's the cost of being an early adopter. We are not only enjoying a newly released phone, but a newly released OS. I've experienced battery drain, locked up phone, etc and have narrowed it down to some app every time. Just need to use some caution for now IMO.

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Recently back to WP, so I have been lurking around here a little bit....I have seen this thread at the top of the page for a while, and was curious why...

This has nothing to do with the OP's issue, but I have seen all the comments about people never having an old skool alarm clock failing them. Ever. Period.

I call BS on that. Have these folks never, in all their years, experienced loss of power after they have gone to bed? Maybe a storm blew through, a transformer went down, etc....?

And besides, who has room for an alarm clock on the nightstand anymore? I have so many gadgets to plug in at night, I now have a power strip on both sides of the bed...

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes, my 920 made me late for work! How you ask? Well, I left it on the charging plate last night before I went to bed and sometime during the night it shut itself off and never came back on. When I finally woke up I realized my alarm had not went off. Checked my phone and it was off and would not come back on until I held down the power+volume down button. This has me really worried. I can deal with slightly blurry pics, and an occasional restart, but to completely just die in the middle of the night rendering my alarm clock useless is not good. Now I'm afraid to leave it on the charging plate at night! :eck:

The unwillingness more and more people have to take personal responsibility continues to astound me. I believe you made yourself late for work by poor planning (relying upon a wireless device sitting on a wireless charger). This is the equivalent of saying your car made you late because it ran out of gas. Of course if it makes you feel better blame the phone. Use that excuse very often though and you can also blame the phone for being unemployed.

philharmonik

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The unwillingness more and more people have to take personal responsibility continues to astound me. I believe you made yourself late for work by poor planning (relying upon a wireless device sitting on a wireless charger). This is the equivalent of saying your car made you late because it ran out of gas. Of course if it makes you feel better blame the phone. Use that excuse very often though and you can also blame the phone for being unemployed.

Thank you Mr. Perfect! Poor planning huh? I've been using this phone without ANY issues with the alarm since I first got it. I had also been using the wireless charger throughout the day with no issues. So I felt pretty confident when I went to bed. This was not a post to get sympathy from anyone because I was late for work. I'm a grown man and can handle my own problems. The fact of the matter is, this new device FAILED in the middle of the night which caused to me to oversleep. There are tons of posts here about users having their 920's restarting, freezing, etc, but I never really saw any where it caused them to miss something important. For the most part if your 920 freezes, or restarts its not going to affect you if you were just sitting around messing with your phone. You can just do the soft-reset or whatever and your good to go! My situation was a little different because the incident happened in the middle of night while I was sleeping. So of course I'm going to blame the phone. Since this incident happened, I no longer leave it on the charging plate overnight. Problem solved! Alarm works great! So, instead of getting on your soap box and start lecturing folks, how about you read the thread and contribute something.

philharmonik

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I would like to add one more weird thing that happened this morning before I left for work. I had the phone on the charging plate to top it off before I left and the notification sounds kept going off and on by themselves. It was like I was lifting it off the plate and putting it back down over and over. The phone was just sitting there like it was possessed. Thats the only way I can explain it. Anyone else have this issue?? Oh, and just for the record, mine is a black 920.

philharmonik

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
have you been experiencing any other power shut downs? this issue seems to be OS wide as 8x reports are coming the same way. This cant just be a Nokia thing. I havent used an analog clock in a loong looong time since my first cell phone that had an alarm clock. the random reboots are one thing but full on power off and nothing after that. Big issue.

I had the phone shut down completely one other time before I even had the charging plate. It was in the first few days of ownership. It would not power back on unless I held down the volume and power button. The phone was just sitting on my bedside table, not charging. It had plenty of battery remaining and just died.

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
For what it's worth, I've been using my alarm on the charging plate for quite a while and have never had a problem with it freezing or being possessed. It could be you either have a bad phone and/or wireless charger. I even have a Zagg Invisible Shield on the back part of my phone, and still no issues. Maybe you can exchange the charger and rule that out?? I just hope that now I haven't jinxed myself.

philharmonik

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
For what it's worth, I've been using my alarm on the charging plate for quite a while and have never had a problem with it freezing or being possessed. It could be you either have a bad phone and/or wireless charger. I even have a Zagg Invisible Shield on the back part of my phone, and still no issues. Maybe you can exchange the charger and rule that out?? I just hope that now I haven't jinxed myself.

Yeah, thats what I'm thinking. Just trying to decide if want to go through all the customer service crap, or just wait it out and see if its something an update can fix.

movern

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
yep - me too - this morning :) .
My 920 also "died" during the night. I've just done a "reset" to wake it up.
There is still plenty of juice on the battery - so its not a battery issue. And It wasn't in the charger - so its not a charger issue.

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
this happened to me as well. the phone is fully charged but the alarm never went off. the only time this phone has let me down :(

the alarm worked yesterday and on Sunday so not sure what made the sudden difference.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
i have 3 alarms and i leave my 920 on the wireless charging stand by my bed every night and it always goes off without a hitch (btw i have 3 alarms because im lazy :p) but seriously though no problems here.

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
i have 3 alarms and i leave my 920 on the wireless charging stand by my bed every night and it always goes off without a hitch (btw i have 3 alarms because im lazy :p) but seriously though no problems here.
i never had any problems with the alarm until today...just weird. i was not using the wireless charger (plugged in to the regular wall charger) and it was fully charged. the only thing i could think of is that it auto-restarted right at that time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99