AT&T Nokia Lumia 920 Unlock?

prashantghabak

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
@Abhishek & @Devil Inside :: To be honest. I have been looking for this solution since past 20 days since I am about to order one from US. So I called few stores in Mumbai who provide unlocking services. One of the stores replied by saying that they tried doing that around December end but they could not unlock it. Few days back I called another store in Mumbai and he replied that they had unlocked Lumia 920 for At&T. They charge Rs 2500. And I asked him whether he can unlock mine, he said he can. But I am not sure whether to trust him. But anyway I have decided to order one. My phone won't be in India till 5th Feb. So I am guessing that even if this guy can't someone else will be able to find the solution for this. Considering this phone has launched at Rs 38000 in India I think ordering it for $450 makes sense. In the worst case scenario I will have to wait for a couple of months.

@Abhishek M: I didn't check site I actually called a few stores. I would recommend you to search mobile unlocking stores in Bangalore and personally call them. Contacting physical stores would be better since they will tell you immediately whether they can unlock it and you wouldn't have to wait for weeks for refund. From what I know all these people access the same central server so if one can everyone else can.

@Devil Inside: Can u access other functions of the phone without sim i.e Wi-fi, Camera, etc?

devil.insulted

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
@Abhishek & @Devil Inside :: To be honest. I have been looking for this solution since past 20 days since I am about to order one from US. So I called few stores in Mumbai who provide unlocking services. One of the stores replied by saying that they tried doing that around December end but they could not unlock it. Few days back I called another store in Mumbai and he replied that they had unlocked Lumia 920 for At&T. They charge Rs 2500. And I asked him whether he can unlock mine, he said he can. But I am not sure whether to trust him. But anyway I have decided to order one. My phone won't be in India till 5th Feb. So I am guessing that even if this guy can't someone else will be able to find the solution for this. Considering this phone has launched at Rs 38000 in India I think ordering it for $450 makes sense. In the worst case scenario I will have to wait for a couple of months.

@Abhishek M: I didn't check site I actually called a few stores. I would recommend you to search mobile unlocking stores in Bangalore and personally call them. Contacting physical stores would be better since they will tell you immediately whether they can unlock it and you wouldn't have to wait for weeks for refund. From what I know all these people access the same central server so if one can everyone else can.

@Devil Inside: Can u access other functions of the phone without sim i.e Wi-fi, Camera, etc?

Hi Prashant,

I can use the phone functions on WIFI very well.
But would like to inform you about 1 thing $449 is the price for phone on top of that every state has state tax and you will have to consider that as well.
I bought mine from Texas and the phone cost me $490.
So Definitely it still cheaper than India but few states have more tax than what i paid in Texas.
The phone is very good also remember to order the cover for the back, I would recommend something like this which I bought from eBay for my phone, the camera lens is prone to damage.

NOKIA LUMIA 920 hard rubberized back carry case cover black | eBay

BTW i bought it for Rs. 380 and now they are selling it Rs. 100 more.

prashantghabak

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi Prashant,

I can use the phone functions on WIFI very well.
But would like to inform you about 1 thing $449 is the price for phone on top of that every state has state tax and you will have to consider that as well.
I bought mine from Texas and the phone cost me $490.
So Definitely it still cheaper than India but few states have more tax than what i paid in Texas.
The phone is very good also remember to order the cover for the back, I would recommend something like this which I bought from eBay for my phone, the camera lens is prone to damage.

NOKIA LUMIA 920 hard rubberized back carry case cover black | eBay

BTW i bought it for Rs. 380 and now they are selling it Rs. 100 more.

I heard that Lumia 920 does not need a case. Is is necessary to buy the case. I am also getting it for around $490. I wanted to know whether you have to pay the first month bill or you can cancel the connection immediately after buying since while buying you have to select a plan. If you have to pay the first month bill the cost increases further.

And about unlocking : I called another store in Mumbai. I spoke with the technician who unlocks phone. He said that he unlocked a Lumia 920 At&t last week. I asked him twice to confirm it . He said that it is possible but it might take 15 days. I asked him the reason for that and he said that the server from where they get the code are not always up. I guess that might be the reason why it takes so long for cellunlock to get the codes. They are asking Rs 3900 to unlock which is expensive. The store is mobileassist. You can call them at 9867244555. Also let us know if u are able to get unlock code from Cellunlock.net.

venkatraju88

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello all Please let me know if any one unlocked Lumia 920 at&t, I bought the phone since it released in US, I ordered through cellunlock till now they didnt provide me code,, I am in bangalore, if anyone knows any unlocking shops in bangalore please let me know...

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello all Please let me know if any one unlocked Lumia 920 at&t, I bought the phone since it released in US, I ordered through cellunlock till now they didnt provide me code,, I am in bangalore, if anyone knows any unlocking shops in bangalore please let me know...

No. The AT&T Lumia cannot be unlocked as yet.

You need to wait till the exclusivity is over.

Scottie P

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I have also received an unlock code from ATT--
When I follow the directions- it says it will ask for an unlock code (possibly after a SIM PIN).
When I start the phone with an "non-valid" SIM, I first get prompted for a "PIN". The phone requires at least a 4 digit number before it will let me click "Enter."

I've tried the PKU as well as the unlock code that was given to me, as well as 1234 and some others from ATT support.
It shows "10 attempts" the first one gives an "Invalid PIN" message, subsequent tries give a "Error with SIM" message.

The number never goes below 9 tries left.

Still trying to figure out how to unlock it from the unlock code given.

YeahMon360

Banned
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a SIM from another carrier. I had to order a T-Mobile SIM from Amazon, so I am unable to unlock mine just yet.

ATT told me the PIN is 1111. Did you try that Scottie P?

Scottie P

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I have not tried 1111 -- although I have setup a "SIM PIN" and reset it to 1234 with the PKU on my SIM.
It accepts my "SIM PIN" then request another "PIN" for unlocking the PIN for the phone. I assume this means the unlock code, but like I posted before, that doesn't work.
The screenshot I took didn't save, I'll have to try again later.
I have a feeling the 1111 won't work from the information I've been given via ATT.

It seems like there may be a software bug since it gets "stuck" at 9 attempts remaining until I restart the phone.

devil.insulted

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I heard that Lumia 920 does not need a case. Is is necessary to buy the case. I am also getting it for around $490. I wanted to know whether you have to pay the first month bill or you can cancel the connection immediately after buying since while buying you have to select a plan. If you have to pay the first month bill the cost increases further.

And about unlocking : I called another store in Mumbai. I spoke with the technician who unlocks phone. He said that he unlocked a Lumia 920 At&t last week. I asked him twice to confirm it . He said that it is possible but it might take 15 days. I asked him the reason for that and he said that the server from where they get the code are not always up. I guess that might be the reason why it takes so long for cellunlock to get the codes. They are asking Rs 3900 to unlock which is expensive. The store is mobileassist. You can call them at 9867244555. Also let us know if u are able to get unlock code from Cellunlock.net.

Prashant you dont need a case if you handle your phones well, I dropped my phone 2 times already in 1st week so I dont handle the phones very well.
Regarding the no contract phone you dont even need a phone number to buy from them.
I bought 2 phone off contract from AT&T, I am using 1 and my friend has another one but its still packed, he wants to sell it as he cant use it for next few months.

Scottie P

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone been able to unlock it with a code that has been provided to them?
In other words, anyone do it themselves?
I'm wondering with ATT if they have it prevented in the firmware and they will release a software update in May that will allow the codes we've received to work??

ransa

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Unlock website all say they can unlock your phone even if they cant. They try to unlock after you pay them. Happened to me several times when they promise then don't follow through.

deenlal

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
650$ is for off Contract prize and we can change the plans .... 200$ Extra.. Yes and i thought its unlock phone and they said the same....

deenlal

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Am in nagercoil, Kanyakumari.... Even i tried for few best unlocking shop, they said the unlock code is not reached to us becoz of server like that .... stilll tracking them.... mean time we contacting best buy & At& t for unlock code.... am just using it by Wi fi ....

Chill510

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Cellunlock.net stole my 39.99...do not use this site. They suck. Cellunlocker.net is better..but they do not have the unlock for AT&T L920.

Scottie P

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
From a video I watched of someone unlocking their Rogers phone with an unlock code, the wording in the ATT unlock instructions is a little incorrect. You will be asked for an unlock "PIN" not a "CODE" which can be confusing since the line before talks about a SIM PIN.

Also, it appears the software on the ATT version is either broken or crippled. The code provided by ATT does not work and the number does not count down (different error message from first attempt to sequential attempts).

ATT seems very confused when I call to find out more info and report the issue. The local ATT store flat out refused to help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo