And my Lumia 920 screen shattered

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Curved screen is what does it. Want less shattering than have Nokia go back to the flat screen of the 900. I think most people will do fine, but yes drops can be nasty. That being said, all phones can shatter.

bachthejock

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think AT&T lets u sign up for insurance up to 30 days after u purchase a phone. Call 888-263-3997 and try to sign up since the phone hasn't even been out for a month yet. Good luck

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I think AT&T lets u sign up for insurance up to 30 days after u purchase a phone. Call 888-263-3997 and try to sign up since the phone hasn't even been out for a month yet. Good luck

Ditto on this! Sign up for insurance, wait two days and file a claim. It'll be $100 bucks or so to replace it, but that's better than $450. I'd say the odds of them replacing your phone w/o insurance are slim.

DDinFTW

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I also dropped mine and broke the glass (I had previously accidentally dropped it at least 5 times before this w/o any problems). Did you by chance purchase it with a Visa card? If so, Visa (on some of their cards) provides a 90-day accidental coverage policy...might want to check that out.

FYI, I had to add a line to my existing account and buy another one at the $99.00 price. I did not have insurance ($10 per month!) nor did the Visa card that I used cover it.

Good luck!

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
How does a student who "can't afford big money" have an iPhone as a backup, and a brand new Lumia 920 anyway?

Sounds like you have plenty of disposable income.

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I think the key here is to actually not DROP your phone. Seriously people. You'd be surprised at how long you can go without dropping or otherwise destroying your device if you just F O C U S. Simple rules to follow: 1) When grabbing phone, ALWAYS make sure you have it in your hand/fingers before taking it out of something 2) NEVER put it in your pocket with anything if that's where you carry it. 3) NEVER get near water with it - things happen - bad things 4) NEVER let someone who is careless use it (pretty much everyone in my family). Rules to live by. I've never broken a phone or scrathced the glass and I NEVER use protection (well you know what I mean) :wink:

sudakoma

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Oh jesus christ, thats horrible!

I REALLY really feel for you man. Thats harsh... Id contact nokia directly and explain the situation, and hope that since theyre on the hotseat with this ongoing launch that theyll be nice and replace it for you.

Please let us know what happens onwards. Oh, and get insurance on your next one :) .

Why would Nokia even consider replacing it, it's not faulty. It was dropped, its the OP's fault so he/she is responsible for replacing it...and for all those banging on about Gorilla glass...give it a rest, its meant to protect from scratches, its not bullet-proof. If the handset is dropped and it lands on the screen, the chances are it will smash exactly as in the picture. With a bit of luck, if I drop mine, it will land on its back.

LazyLemming

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Can't hurt for him to try, sometimes companies will actually help customers out just for the goodwill and PR. I believe Nokia can replace the glass for about $200 if I'm remembering right. Not cheap but better than a new phone!

And bigkevbosky, he didn't say what Iphone he has.... maybe he was a 4 or 3GS leftover from before he bought his Nokia on Black Friday for 50 bucks?

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Why would Nokia even consider replacing it, it's not faulty. It was dropped, its the OP's fault so he/she is responsible for replacing it...and for all those banging on about Gorilla glass...give it a rest, its meant to protect from scratches, its not bullet-proof. If the handset is dropped and it lands on the screen, the chances are it will smash exactly as in the picture. With a bit of luck, if I drop mine, it will land on its back.

The same reason that if youre at the supermarket and have a melon picked out, and you kinda slip and it falls, most places with decent customer service will offer you to take a new one as a replacement.

PR, goodwill, good customerservice. The fact that Nokia needs to make sure this all goes as smooth as they can. Who CARES why they would consider it, it is practically free to try, and worst case scenario (realistically speaking): he is exactly where he is now.

addicusbrown

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
The wife dropped hers from 3-5 inches yesterday and shattered the screen. AT&T insurance covers it with a $200 deductible. Best Buy is free with their protection. So the Geek Squad will get her a new one in 3 days with no extra money out of our pockets. Glad we got the insurance! Wish I could attach pictures because it looks like it got ran over by a big truck.

Joseph Noble

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Seems that Nokia is coming out with aluminum version because they know this one has problems with screen shattering. Mine 920's screen shattered on first drop, about 20 cm.

gilesjuk

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Glass is glass, it's physical properties are great, except for when you hit it hard. You won't get glass that doesn't crack, so if your phone has glass then either take more care or get insurance.

If they could make glass that didn't crack then it would be on your car, in your house and on your phone. None of them have any such thing.

U_SAF

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
this is horrible... i also doubt about the quality of phone shown on youtbue..mine got scratches so easily and are so big that it annoyed me badly... i took my lumia to Nokia Care for dust removal from FCC..and asked for scratches to be removed or screen to be replaced.. they said we will try to remove the scratches but if you replace the screen you will be charged around 149$ .. here in MENA region.

My region, sellers gives the option to pay around 60$ extra to have extended warranty for these kind of risks.

Good Luck with AT&T..

U_SAF

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
nice tips.. lol, I also want to add that never take your mobile in sleeping trouser's pocket while going to toilets..I dropped my N9 in water as it slipped out of tiny pockets of my trouser.

U_SAF

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
yes but by looking at youtube videos, kinfe, hammer, drop, car test.. atleast we should be little sure that it won't be shattered by dropping from 3 feet.. trust me I dropped my N9 several times, i never got any scratch on the screen.... not even a minor scratch even it was dropped from more than 3 feet height.

Till I drop it in water...top side half in water and Nokia is unable to repair it yet.

anon(5327207)

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Sadly My Sons 920 screen was shattered today... Unit was in his pocket and he was hit with a basketball during PE. He was even on the bench waiting his turn to play.

Has anyone been successful working with Nokia Care, to have them replace it??

kevinrk

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Sadly My Sons 920 screen was shattered today... Unit was in his pocket and he was hit with a basketball during PE. He was even on the bench waiting his turn to play.

Has anyone been successful working with Nokia Care, to have them replace it??

I've been to every Nokia repair shop in my city and they ALL want to unnecessarily replace LCD+Digitizer (3x the cost of just the digitizer)
I wonder if anyone has had any luck getting Nokia to just replace the digitizer?

anon(5327207)

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I should correct myself, it is only the digitizer. I if it is going to cost and arm and a leg, I sure I will fix it myself. When my daughter broke her HTC Arrive, I took it apart and back together in 20 minutes... 920 looks easy to pull apart... Question is can we Get Nokia to do it for free.,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb