GSMArena claims that Lumia 920 has worst speakers WTF

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
What's important is the sound QUALITY at your NORMAL LISTENING LEVEL. Nobody gives a damn how loud it sounds if the sound is all distorted.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
+1

The quality of the built-in speaker is so far down on the list for me its not even worthy of mention. Anyway, all cell phone speakers suck! How can you expect to get big sound out of such a small speaker.

My Lumia 900's call speaker quality is excellent. L920 having stereo should be even better

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Look at it this way.. Some of the most popular phones have "below average" rating, while Ativ S which doesn't even exist yet outside media and Optimus G (WTF is that) both have excellent quality.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
The quality of the built-in speaker is so far down on the list for me its not even worthy of mention. Anyway, all cell phone speakers suck! How can you expect to get big sound out of such a small speaker.

if( the problem doesnt affect me)
{
state that the users feed back is irrelevant and not important (batteries, build quality, screen brightness, volume and etc,WP7 incompatibilities MS Accounts, apps crashing and etc). In extreme case, imply that the affected user is over-reacting and he/she should just get over it...hint that they aren't normal
}
else
{
Raise and issue and deem it as important.
}

pookiewood

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if they mixed up the 920 and 820 scores. If not they are lying. I have a rap song for a ringtone and if it is at 30 then it is super loud. I usually put it at 15. It's loud but not distorted. It is clear and sounds great.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
What's important is the sound QUALITY at your NORMAL LISTENING LEVEL. Nobody gives a damn how loud it sounds if the sound is all distorted.
+1

I'm not sure how max dB alone is considered to be an overall measure of speaker quality. Not that loudness isn't important but for everyday usage, I'm not too convinced that people go around cranking their phones to max output and blasting music. If they did, I sure as **** would not be friends with that person. It's why scientists invented headphones.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
+1

I'm not sure how max dB alone is considered to be an overall measure of speaker quality. Not that loudness isn't important but for everyday usage, I'm not too convinced that people go around cranking their phones to max output and blasting music. If they did, I sure as **** would not be friends with that person. It's why scientists invented headphones.

My use case scenario:
Driving to and from work answering calls while driving:

I have owned Nokia 3310 -> Palm Treo -> 2007 iPHone- > Samsung Focus -> Nokia 900 -> Nokia 920

I have been able to answer/calls on the Treo and 900 via speaker phone while the others didn't work. Yes! I have tried several jawbone blue tooth headsets and it I gave up on using it after the samsung focus as the volume was just too low to hear (for my ears) above the road noise. So this year I was about to get the latest/greatest jawbone headset until I was able to get the 900 and tested it out. And voila the speaker on the phone was good enough to carry a conversation.

I mean ya don't want me to hold a phone up to my ear while driving 65+mph...that would be dangerous.

OPTION:
Continue to hunt for a capable blue tooth headset
Buy a new $25k car that will allow me to play my phone through the car speakers
See if Nokia can release an update for the volume

In either case, why does it seem like if an issue is not important to user X then its deemed not important. I have seen this issue on this forum for the WiFi cutoff issues, build quality and battery problems It seems like the answer is "Its not important to me and I never use it so its not important so ur overacting"

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I previously owned Noka N900, whose speaker quality was so poor that in a noisy environment you could barely hear the ring. Yes in quiet environment it was clear. N900 had a utility Alsamixer in its command pompt using which you could boost the speaker but still it hardly made any difference in day to day life

N95 had best speakers as they were loud and clear in any environment. Loud speaker does create disturbance but you have the option to adjust the volume. Now in a noisy environment like market or streets you need extremely loud volume which N95 offered. Lumia 920 being slightly thick should have bigger and better speakers compared to iPhone 5 and GS3.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
This thing came as a serious surprise to to me. Nokia shifted their production to China for cost cutting. I've read so many different openions in this message board about Lumia 920.
The camera is best no doubt about it, best video recording, best night time and low light photos the minor issue of normal light condition will be overcome with an update.

But about the call quality, speakerphone test, music, build quality I've read so many different openions someone praising it, someone criticizing it. What is it? Is Lumia 920 the first phone in which more than 40% devices came with manufacturing defect?

Cecil Roth

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
And they are wrong. I've had numerous smartphones, Windows Mobile, multiple Androids, and the 920 surpasses all of them. The speakers sound much better than any of them. GSMArena should get their review phone repairred.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Curious what "ringtone" they used, as I have found that the "loudness" of ringtone's vary. Does that directly translate to a higher or lower decibel?

anon(5395037)

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm more concerned by the sound quality from the headphone jack than the speakers :]. Looking at RMAA tests on GSMArena its looking from avarage to bad. I was hoping for something in pair with sgs3,sgs iphone 4s or even iphone 5. I'll nto mention about super perfect SQ that nokia 808 and htc one s have :]. I'm enyoing listening to music on my nokia on the go but still, something's wrong.

koldmiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The only review that anyone can ever trust, is the one they do for themselves while actually holding the item being reviewed...
I would always use these sorts of reviews as an aggregate - pick the info that you are curious about, then go physically try the device somewhere to see for yourself.
It doesn't matter *who* does the reviews you read - they are all skewed in one way or another, as personal opinion is exactly what the reviews really end up being. Even if they have numbers showing decibel levels etc., how the phone actually sounds in person will be all that counts.

My opinion? I think it has pretty good speakers for a phone, and am happy with it.

Couldn't agree more. When I worked for Sony I always told people who were shopping for a new TV to bring a DVD they new and had watched a hundred times so they new what to expect. Never let the store use a store demo.

sankyaku

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I have to say that I really like the speaker phone. But I do agree with GSMArena with the sound quality, through headphones it not very good and through bluetooth there is annoying high pitch tone when any audio playback with music or system sounds. :( I hope this will be resolved with the next update.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb