Prospective Lumia owner here: Users who switched from IOS and Android, how are you finding it?

Heatnup

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
My wife switched to the 920 from an iphone. In her words, "I love it" not all the apps are the same, but over all it has everything she needs and more is coming. She is looking forward to the add free Pandora in the next couple months.

rareohs

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I was a firm iPhone guy for years - all the way back to the very first one. Switched to WP8 and the 920 after having one too many disappointing customer service experiences with Apple (seriously, since Jobs died, the company seems to just not give a rat's ass about it's own customers anymore.)

All in all, happy. The 920 isn't the Jesus phone anymore than the iPhone was, or is. Lots of things great, some frustrating things as well. Off the cuff,

Things I Love:
-huge, gorgeous screen that puts the iPhone's to shame imho
-love the WP8 interface with tiles. Much more intuitive and like the instant access to data
-Bing maps >>> Apple maps
-Nokia Drive works fantastic, I use it frequently when in areas I don't know well
-Love the lock screen and how customizable it is. Blows Apple away here.
-Great low light camera
-Truly impressive video capability
-while I don't like the keyboard itself (see below), the autocorrect works really, really well

Things I don't:
-the app differential, as much as people hate to hear it mentioned, is real, unavoidable, and legit. Super frustrating seeing all these great apps (Stick-n-Find, Zite 2.0, Instagram, Pocket, etc etc etc the list goes on) available for iOS and Android but not WP8. Hopefully that will improve with time. Hopefully. I'll be thrilled if and when it does, but I won't be shocked if it doesn't.
-pathetic game selection compared to iOS
-no true Facebook app. The microsoft make-do version is terrible.
-no true notification center
-while it's easy to "get in the door" so to speak, I think there's somehwat of a steep learning curve with WP8. maybe it's just me and the fact that i had been using iOS exclusively since 2007
-don't like the way you switch between open apps
-don't like the keyboard. maybe it's my big hands, but the iPhone's was easier to type on for me
-extremely disappointing daytime camera results. I'm a photo nut, and all the people who say "it's GOOD, it's just not GREAT" are wrong - imho. I think the daytime camera function is mediocre. the iPhone 5 is *superb.* Could be how apple's camera renders things, and I'm very much looking forward to the Nokia update. Hope this gets fixed, and fast.

NinjaPenguin777

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I had an Iphone 4 for 2 years. Got bored with it. I love my lumia 920. The only two things that bother me are the battery and the overheating during calls. They may be connected though. Other than that it is simple but elegant

jaqueh

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Switched from the iPhone 4, if it weren't for the bigger screen, I would be returning my L920 for an iPhone. WP is just much less polished and cared about than iOS. It's especially evident in the frequency at which apps get updated.

Flocons

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Just from a ergonomic and usability/handling of the OS, I really REALLY like it! I'd probably say the experience is a bit closer to iOS than it is to Android. I'm coming from iOS and from Android before that, and the big thing for me is that that things are simple to get to. In Android, there's too much drilling into menus and sub menus for everything you want to do. WP8 is definitely more accessible in the fact that everything is no more than a few taps/swipes away.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I switched from Hemorrhoid - I mean Android - and am not looking back. This is a great OS.

Me too.

I found Android to be a horrid mess of mismatched app UI's, feature creep and wonky reliability. Support was non-existant from LG or Google too. It's basically DIY. Never again will I buy an LG phone and I really don't see myself buying an Android device again either.

The experience of living with Windows Phone UI is just like night and day for me versus Android. There is no futzing around, no consternation over inconsistent control panels and settings. No ugly, disappointing apps. No jitter and lag. No reliability issues (at least not for me)

I traded my crap LG Revolution in for a Lumia 900 in April and never looked back. It's the only smartphone I've ever owned that I never grew tired of or frustrated with. I loved it and I love my 920 now as well.

The Darkness

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I just switched. last weekend, from an old-school and orphaned, Sony Ericsson Xperia x10. Needless to say, I love the WP8 and the Lumia 920. It feels really nice in my hands, not too heavy, not too light. Love the customizable options. No battery issues (so far, fingers crossed). Just getting the hang of the operating system, but I'm sure it will take some time. No regrets here!

americasteam

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've had both iOS and Android. My last 3 phones have been Android though. There are 2 things that I miss. Browser flash support and a system file explorer. Neither of these are deal breakers.

I love the UI, the keyboard and auto correct are awesome, the screen is amazing (it tops the iPhone, One X, Galaxy S3, and Note 2), can set IE 10 mobile to always open desktop web pages and it actually works (Android has this setting you can check but rarely works correctly with the stock browser), has the best call quality and reception of any phone I've owned, headphone out (without opening the eq app) sounds fantastic, image stabilization works fantastic. (especially on video), and the wireless charging is a game changer. Yes, I said a game changer.

One other issue is the battery life. Keep in mind I'm coming from the Note 2 which gets 8 hours screen on time, so anything won't completely compare. I would say its about as good as the One X or Galaxy S3, which weren't bad at all.

bjbaylor

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I switched from android an HTC some such to the Nokia Lumia 900 and then to the 920. The phone is beautiful and the OS is elegant, smooth, snappy, and polished.

With that being said, apps are lacking and anyone who tells you it isn't is being disingenuous. Whether its a big deal or not is up to the individual user.

If apps are not a big deal then give the OS a spin at your local cell store, but if it is a big deal you will hate this phone and windows phone in general.

If you want apps and are a huge app user, then android (which has gotten a crap load better over the past 6 months) or iOS (yuck) is the way to go.

jrjr488

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I am coming from android and for the most part I'm happy with my decision to switch. But somethings amaze me, attaching multiple documents to email for example. I expected MS to be better at that type of thing. Lack of mapping integration with email is also surprising. I'm hoping updates improve functionality because the hardware is great with a smooth lag free OS.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My first upgrade was a 900 from a 4s. The screen hurt my eyes and I'll admit, I got a little scared from switching to something new. Exchanged it for another 4s. Then heard about the 920. Got really excited and got one on launch day. I have not touched my iPhone except for GPS during traveling(no 920 international plan). Selling my 4s as I don't use it anymore and never want to play with it.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I came from ios and I am loving it. It takes a little getting used to though. Its better and runs nice and smooth. The one thing I am really enjoying is the predictive text. It works well and I barely have to type anything.

The app situation isn't horrible but it isn't amazing either. I have found substitutes for almost anything I was using on IOS. The games though most aren't that great.

It's a refreshing change and I've had no complaints really.

MKIVGTIVR6

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Well I originally had an iPhone 3G years ago and dropped that for the Samsung Focus when WP7 first came out.. I loved the change from ios which was getting stale for me, even though it was jailbroken and all. My trusty Focus lasted up until the beginning of November so it was time to upgrade.. The launch of WP8 had me really disappointed so I went ahead and purchased the LG Optimus G.. The Optimus G was a very nice phone but I couldn't get it to last past 3pm.. The only way would be to turn off the quad core, which to me defeats the purpose of getting such a powerful phone. It was also very fragile feeling, having me scared to even put it down on a table too hard.. After about 2 weeks with the Optimus G I started feeling the itch to get back to windows phone.. I loved all the things you could do on android but did not like HOW they were done. I finally checked out the Lumia 920 at the local Microsoft Store and was sold. It may not be the perfect OS but it has a certain smoothness about it that no other OS has in my opinion.. The only OS i love as much as WP8 is webOS but thats a wholeeee different story lol..

Seismo

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Had an iPhone 3G, then an iPhone 4. I switched to the 920 simply because I think iOS has gotten stale and boring.
I'm glad I made the switch but I think it's too early in the game for me to recommend it to anyone. There are unresolved battery life issues with the the 920. Nothing that having a charger handy at all times can't cure, though.
I still carry my iPhone 4 around for the SiriusXM app. Sirius says they have no plans to develop a WP8 app and that's a shame. Live Tiles are cool but I don't think enough apps take advantage of them to give you anything useful.

I don't think this is everyone's phone. I know this is a Windows Phone forum but I'm just gonna say it - At this point in time, the iPhone is the phone for most people.
WP8 is for people that are ready to try something new and be part of a bold experiment that may not always work right.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster