Battery issues on 920. Do I need replacement?

IcyLumia

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
In another thread, I seen a user post this list as different ways of saving the battery

1. Turn off NFC unless you are using it.
2. Go to settings->Applications->Background Tasks and turn off everything you don't really need, especially Nokia Drive.
3. Turn off Feedback
4. Turn off Wifi unless you know you can connect to a hotspot as wiFi searching drains battery quickly, however keep wifi on when u have it as it is better than LTE (power)
5. Disable Wifi notification in advanced Wifi Setting
6. Set your mailbox inbox sync settings to something comfortable for you. (30 min? hour?)
7. Automatic brightness works best.
8. Consider keeping your screen timeout low.
9. OPTIONAL - Disable Location Services to prevent apps from accessing your GPS
10. Let your phone fully charge and discharge a few cycles ~ week or two, avoid using the wireless charger during this time.

What's interesting is that I had already done most of this. The only thing that's different is that I have my mail set to manual. This is very unfortunate because I like this phone MUCH more than the iPhone 5 I exchanged for it. Again, like that phone, the battery is losing a considerable amount of life while in standby. Earlier I took a much deserved nap and was at 92%. Later when I got up out of bed with the phone having NO USE for about 2.5 hours, the battery read that it was down to 88%. It dropped 4% on standby in 2.5 hours with the list you see here of things turned off/features I won't use. I'm worried that my luck for phones is horrible lately lol BUT I LOVE THE PHONE

ArtDB

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Today, my battery discharged from 10% to 0% while plugged into the wall charger (I was still using apps while it was charging). That is unsat! Does anyone know if the service providers have a way of testing the battery? I hate to explain my issue and have them tell me my only option is to replace the device.

IcyLumia

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Today, my battery discharged from 10% to 0% while plugged into the wall charger (I was still using apps while it was charging). That is unsat! Does anyone know if the service providers have a way of testing the battery? I hate to explain my issue and have them tell me my only option is to replace the device.

That sounds very bad. I have notified Nokia on their Twitter about some my issues. I'm glad that while people don't have my EXACT problems, I'm not completely alone because there are some things that have been similar.

jmseamonkey

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I've been thinking that my battery life is decent. I tend to see about an average of 1-2% drain on standby, and at times I've observed as much as 3% drain in as little as 15-20 minutes. So I don't think 4% drain in 2.5 hours is all that bad.

What worries me more, at least with my Lumia 920, is that I usually drop about 8% in 15 minutes if I'm doing relatively simple tasks like reading news feeds in Weave, browsing Reddit using Baconit, or browsing the web. With the way I typically use my phone, it seems like I can still squeeze about 12-16 hours out of one charge, but that's with relatively light use.

I'm considering exchanging because I'd rather not have to worry about running out of battery on my occasional heavier-use days. At the same time, I'm hesitant to exchange in case I end up with a phone with even worse battery life.

Janitor88

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Everyone is aware you have to let batteries drain all the way down to zero and charge all the way back to 100 several times to configure them, right?

halimaw96

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I've done the whole discharge to zero thing, and although it's helped my battery life, it could still be better. I think this definitely a software issue now (i feel like I'm beating a dead horse, this has been mentioned waaay too many times lol) because the phone tends to overheat when doing simple tasks. Soft resets often do the trick for cooling mine down, but I don't like to rely on this. You can get yours replaced, but beware of the wait times (I've been waiting two weeks for my replacement.) and the risk of another bad phone. I'm exchanging mine because it overheats when idle, but I'm really hoping that Nokia's second batch of 920's don't have this issue.

By the way I see about the same battery life as most of the previous posters, the idle drain and fast drains when web browsing are what really kills my phone. Most days I can get twelve hours out of the phone before I hit the 40's, with light usage. So is this bad? I dunno. A lot of my friends are jealous of my battery life, but then again I know some folks who leave school with over 70% battery life left on their phones.

jmseamonkey

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Everyone is aware you have to let batteries drain all the way down to zero and charge all the way back to 100 several times to configure them, right?

Yup. I did the full drain until auto-turn-off and then recharge for the first five or six nights I had the phone. Seems, though, that there are still some calibration errors: at times the battery meter will show a certain percentage, and then later it will show that the charge remaining is actually a few points higher.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99